Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Personally I feel that we need to understand and slowly wean our children to be independent rather than do it forcefully.We should also remember that we have a few years of total togetherness with our children and the more we enjoy it the better because you have those memories to look back on..I used to spoil my children but also have long discussions with them when we went walking and on holidays. I also used to get lot of advise from friends and close relatives on how to bring up my children but I felt that I have to bring up my children the way I wanted and depending on my own intuition as to what is right and good for them rather than listen to advise that may not be suitable for us !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Each moment has its own life. It may be a Happy moment or a sad moment. With time happiness and sad moment wane away. Neither happiness or unhappiness remain forever. So are the happy moments spent with our children and family and the melancholic moments of separations. Wisdom lies in adopting to the ever changing conditions.

We should generate positive memories of happy association when together for these remain with us forever.

@usha manohar In my previous comment I have used the word 'harsh' which I sometimes apply on my son. Here, harsh means just refusing to do his work which I know he can do it easily if he tries a bit and secondly he has got enough time to do so but it's not that I force him to become independent. Sometimes I make him understand nicely but when he becomes stubborn or simply starts nagging me then I need to become strict and being strict is always a bit harsh but obviously not too harsh. There are times when I get very strict then my son too understands that he must have committed some great mistake. 

I absolutely second your thought that if I have a right intention while bringing up my child then there is no need to follow others' advice. I do discuss about my son with my sisters but basically I follow my instinct in nurturing him because with time everything varies. It's different when mothers act selfishly but when a mother knows that she is selfless then it's her choice how to bring up her child but yes too much of love or too much of strictness will definitely spoil the child. 

shampasaid

Parents should strike a balance strict parenting and liberal parenting. Too much of either of these two would prove counter productive.

There is a saying, praise your child openly  and reprimand in privacy. This says all about ideal parenting.

I was at Delhi airport to see off my daughter and her 4 years old son who was under the impression that I will travel with them. I said I will bring my passport but he thought I can use his passport and if police caught me for traveling without a passport his papa will hit the police and rescue Nanu. I am guilty of using my mobile while driving back to home for the first time because I had to answer him repeatedly that I will join him soon (my wife was not with me). 

Just tell me how can one avoid such situations?

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

Shampa Sadhya wrote:

@usha manohar In my previous comment I have used the word 'harsh' which I sometimes apply on my son. Here, harsh means just refusing to do his work which I know he can do it easily if he tries a bit and secondly he has got enough time to do so but it's not that I force him to become independent. Sometimes I make him understand nicely but when he becomes stubborn or simply starts nagging me then I need to become strict and being strict is always a bit harsh but obviously not too harsh. There are times when I get very strict then my son too understands that he must have committed some great mistake. 

I absolutely second your thought that if I have a right intention while bringing up my child then there is no need to follow others' advice. I do discuss about my son with my sisters but basically I follow my instinct in nurturing him because with time everything varies. It's different when mothers act selfishly but when a mother knows that she is selfless then it's her choice how to bring up her child but yes too much of love or too much of strictness will definitely spoil the child. 

Shampa we are afterall human and have only limited patience at our disposal especially while bringing up kids, dealing with household chores etc etc...One can easily lose temper and boys can really drive you crazy at times.It would happen with me and with three kids with very little age gap between them and all bundle of energy and mischief ,was enough to drive me crazy twenty times a day LOL...One thing I promised myself was that I would never use physical punishment, no spanking ever and I stuck by it !

I agree that only parents know their kids well and no matter how much others may advise you, at the end of the day, it is only you that should be taking decisions as to what is right for your child.

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

suni51 wrote:

I was at Delhi airport to see off my daughter and her 4 years old son who was under the impression that I will travel with them. I said I will bring my passport but he thought I can use his passport and if police caught me for traveling without a passport his papa will hit the police and rescue Nanu. I am guilty of using my mobile while driving back to home for the first time because I had to answer him repeatedly that I will join him soon (my wife was not with me). 

No need for concern. Innocence in that age is quite common. These children feel that their Papa is the strongest of all. Once they gain age, this innocence disappears

rambabu wrote:
suni51 wrote:

No need for concern. Innocence in that age is quite common. These children feel that their Papa is the strongest of all. Once they gain age, this innocence disappears

That was not the point, but I wanted to say how a father or grandfather feels when he sees his loved ones going off temporarily or permanently. The 'empty-nester' feeling is not limited to mothers only. Just tell me how can one avoid such situations when one has to face situation like one I faced yesterday while seeing them off and came back home alone?

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

suni51 wrote:
rambabu wrote:
suni51 wrote:

That was not the point, but I wanted to say how a father or grandfather feels when he sees his loved ones going off temporarily or permanently. The 'empty-nester' feeling is not limited to mothers only. Just tell me how can one avoid such situations when one has to face situation like one I faced yesterday while seeing them off and came back home alone?

As usual and as every parent or grand parent would be in the same situation. That's the reason i said above that there is no need for concern. That emptiness is bound to be there. Yes such feeling is not limited to mothers only. You are an example who felt this in the Delhi airport. So that proves that empty nest feeling is not limited to mothers alone.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.