Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Indian culture should be taught in schools also, but before that a common definition should be arrived at

Religion and culture are different. Culture is more affected by region rather than religion. Religion also affects culture to some extent but mainly it is region that affects culture and language. It is futile to talk of Hindu or Muslim culture.  Bengali Hindu and Bengali Muslim have more in common than a Rajasthani Muslim and Bengali Muslim. 

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

One thing which is pushing back our people from our own culture is the attraction towards western culture. Parents think that it is beneficial to put our kids in English medium school, their names should look modern. Children also think following western culture looks stylish and modern. Even in villages people get attracted towards western culture, no one in today's generation wants to follow Indian culture because people think that if they not follow western culture they will remain behind. 

http://www.comparenshop.in

It's not right to think that if one follows Indian culture they will remain behind.  If the parents talk in their mother tongue with their children in the Home, children will certainly know the value of their Mother tongue. It all depends on the Home atmosphere and the parents.

rambabu wrote:

It's not right to think that if one follows Indian culture they will remain behind.  If the parents talk in their mother tongue with their children in the Home, children will certainly know the value of their Mother tongue. It all depends on the Home atmosphere and the parents.

Parents should talk in mother tongue at home, but most of parents are working and they think that talking to their kids in English will improve their communication skills in English. Today in almost all jobs in India English is required, so parents think to improve English skills of their kids. 

http://www.comparenshop.in

Manoj Kumar Lamba wrote:
rambabu wrote:

Parents should talk in mother tongue at home, but most of parents are working and they think that talking to their kids in English will improve their communication skills in English. Today in almost all jobs in India English is required, so parents think to improve English skills of their kids. 

Communicating in Mother Tongue, children will be benefited . , it helps in learning many languages including English. This was pointed out in in my previous posts.

That is why we must first define what exactly is meant by Indian culture .For many it is religion which is not true. People are attracted to English because it ensures a job and bread and butter. One can also learn mother tongue.

When I said Mother tongue, it is the Mother tongue of the individual. It has got nothing to do with religion. Even a tribal will be having his Mother tongue and there are stories in their Mother tongue. He will tell these tales to his children

Learning English is the need of the hour but that does not mean that those who study or studied in English medium schools are all against Indian culture or are not aware about Indian culture. Even English medium girls schools and colleges directly or indirectly expect their students to wear saree on farewell day or foundation day and so on. This is how we learn to give importance to our Indian costume. Now, when the trend setters go for western style then how can we expect the younger generation to follow the Indian style. So, it will be wrong to raise finger towards English medium schools. Indian culture has to be practised at home, school as well as the big guns must also promote it or else the youngsters will not follow the Indian culture be it the age old traditions, literature, music and many more.

shampasaid

I studied in English medium schools in another state.But my parents always used to speak with me in Telugu. This enabled me to learn later Hindi and  Urdu. After my college education, when I'm employed in a Steel plant that was built with the collaboration of Russia, I learned Russian language. All this was possible because my  parents used to communicate with me in my Mother tongue right from childhood. My daughter who settled in the USA talks in Telugu with her children. It's not all, she made her children learn Kuchipudi, the traditional dance form of Andhra. Its all about parenting.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.