Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

There is no perfect society and what is ok to me may not be so to another person. Being judgmental and critical about others beliefs and customs has become a norm in our society , not just with the majority but with the minorities as well...I have seen how Hindu students are treated in Convents since I studied in one and we were asked to pray in their style kneeling down etc and not wear a bindi or a chain with Hindu gods pendants etc...It is these rules that made Hindu organisations revolt and become more rigid about their own customs and vice versa ! If both sides become leniant and adopt a give and take policy , the atmosphere would be far more  peaceful ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

I too studied in Convents. To be specific, It was Methodist Boys High school in Hyderabad. But never faced any problems. We are free from restrictions of any kind. A student is allowed to wear any religious marks that speak about their religion. Of course attending morning chapels was mandatory.

I too studied in an Christian run school and was never forced into any religious practice of any sort. I have pleasant memories of the dedicated Christian teachers. Pseudo nationalists are responsible for hatred between communities.

While I have the highest regard for the standard of education and the disciplinary aspects of Convent schools, I have some bad memories as well because of the unfairness of it ! Christian girls were allowed to wear crosses whereas Hindu girls were asked to remove any religious pendants on a chain, it happened to me and when I questioned them, they were quite insulting about Hinduism. There were several other such minor incidents which left a mark on me and others as well. I met the nuns many years later and we spoke on the same subject and they did feel that they could have avoided it.This changed view was probably because of the changed atmosphere in Mangalore and Bangalore where Hindus had begun to strike back by then and were not ready to take such things lying down ! 

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Surely, our reactions are based on our experiences. But they have to be tempered with changing times to reflect new realities.

usha manohar wrote:

While I have the highest regard for the standard of education and the disciplinary aspects of Convent schools, I have some bad memories as well because of the unfairness of it ! Christian girls were allowed to wear crosses whereas Hindu girls were asked to remove any religious pendants on a chain, it happened to me and when I questioned them, they were quite insulting about Hinduism. There were several other such minor incidents which left a mark on me and others as well. I met the nuns many years later and we spoke on the same subject and they did feel that they could have avoided it.This changed view was probably because of the changed atmosphere in Mangalore and Bangalore where Hindus had begun to strike back by then and were not ready to take such things lying down ! 

I am agree with, I studied in Khalsa collage. It is belongs to Sikh community. They always prefer to appoint only Sikhs. One teacher at my time was follower of Acharya Rajnish. Administration removed him from service because he was wearing paddent of Rajneesh and saffron clothes.

I agree that intolerance is very much part of our life, not just here in India but elsewhere as well, where Indians are being attacked simply because of fear phobia and racism ,,

@Usha. You are right, but Hindus will bow only to westerners or those who have the sword. They wont bow down to blacks and negroes. We Hindus have a fetish for white skin.

Now the topic has changed to wearing religious symbols on body or clothes. Many Hindus have tattoo of 'OM'  on their arms. Many wear caps or other things specific to their religion.  I personally feel that religion is a personal matter and we should not display religious symbols while in office or schools. The schools run by religious institutions are likely to display pictures relating to their own religion and also encourage their students to use particular symbols and discourage other faiths symbols.  As long as don't give undue significance to these, all is well.  I daily use auto to travel to my office. The autos also display symbols- Hanuman, Rama photos,  muslim symbol 786, sai baba photo.  But this is all routine and passengers don't bother. They have only to travel- whatever be displayed- sai baba or 786. 

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

In all the public transport system like Buses and Autos many quotes pertaining to religions appear. As long as these religious symbols or marks do not stop you from reaching your destination, it matters little.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.