Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

These Social evils like Downy system, gender discrimination are deeply rooted in the system. Attaining gender justice is not an easy task in India. From time immemorial,, a girl child has been considered as an unwanted entity and a burden, whom the parents would nor mind  doing away with. And it goes without saying that on this mind set of the parents, the Social evil of Dowry System started. Discrimination against women begins even before her birth. The gruesome evils of female feticide  and  infanticide prove how brutal the world could be to women.

rambabu wrote:

These Social evils like Downy system, gender discrimination are deeply rooted in the system. Attaining gender justice is not an easy task in India. From time immemorial,, a girl child has been considered as an unwanted entity and a burden, whom the parents would nor mind  doing away with. And it goes without saying that on this mind set of the parents, the Social evil of Dowry System started. Discrimination against women begins even before her birth. The gruesome evils of female feticide  and  infanticide prove how brutal the world could be to women.

Dowry is not single problem for daughters. Security and safety of daughters is also big problem.

Very true ...safety and security are the biggest problem. Add to it the fact that she is "paraya dhan"sooner or later she needs to move to a new family

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated - Confucius

The day when I see a Woman  equally competing with man in all spheres of life, would be convinced, and say  proudly that Indian Woman has come of age and she is really emancipated.

Whenever I see a Indira Nooyi or one Kiran Shah mazumdar Shaw, a ray of hope appears in me and makes me feel happy and hopeful that Indian Woman will be really empowered and stand equally along with men sooner than later'

Divya wrote:

Very true ...safety and security are the biggest problem. Add to it the fact that she is "paraya dhan"sooner or later she needs to move to a new family

I am dead against of the word 'paraya dhan'. This is a custom of a patriarchal society that daughters after marriage leaves for the husband's home but it is different in the matriarchal society. If it's a custom then it's fine but we, I mean the ladies, are not paraya dhan rather we have an extra large heart that has the capacity to adjust a new family in it. We equally love our biological family as our brothers so we cannot be paraya dhan. 

shampasaid

Paraya Dhan is a word that speaks volumes about the negative attitude of the Parents towards a Girl child. The initiative of Modi , " Beti Bachao...." in that respect is praise worthy. If a Girl child is provided opportunities, there is no height that can't be scaled by her . Starting from Sakshi, Sindhu, Deepa,,to  Aditi,  are but a few examples.

These social concepts of paraya dhan , dowry, child marriage etc. need to be slowly and steadily removed from the society. Like the practice of Sati which is more or less removed ( though here and there we still here the practice). Also i do not like the idea of women competing against men to prove their mettle. Woman can do so much more. TO start with family, kids, home - can anything be the same without the women of the house. The women just need the acceptance from society. The acceptance to live grow and achieve without any fear, without any insecurity and without any inhibitions.

True. It's the mindset of the woman that has to be changed. We have been seeing, how in these Days women are standing by the side of men in all spheres of life. Now, the Days are changing. Suppression and oppression of woman and referring Woman as Weaker Sex are gradually melting away.

Agree but this the situation among educated class and in cities. But among the poor and uneducated, and also interior parts of the country (which is the major part) the situation is still same and very grim. 

As I said earlier, to bring a change in  any Social System  that's deeply rooted in the Society since Centuries,  takes lot of efforts and time. But  we  have seen  how  many social evils like Sati took centuries to disappear from the Society. Similarly I am sure one day  discrimination against Girl Child too will go away.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.