Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
It all depends on the demands of a particular situation while making sentences. Using these prepositions and conjunctions more than once in a sentence does not make it ungrammatical! For example,I went with my brother with the sole intention of watching the game- is a perfectly grammatically constructed sentence!

OK I agree, the sentence has sense too..but sometimes repetition is not accepted, especially in US English...most of the web content is US English based..

Can you cite a few cases of such rejections?

one example is: This 3D illuminated wood puzzle is a fun and educative tool that challenges your kids thinking ability and develops their creative thinking skills.

here and is used two times..its told that comma should be there in such case... :unsure: In US English its not allowed..???? "The" is also not allowed to be used often in US English...(said by editor of the site)
:S

The above example that you have given, there is no necessity of a comma in it because there is a clear demarcation of the adjective part from the purpose of the said object, that is, thinking ability and develops their creative thinking skills. Therefore, as far as I understand, comma would not be required.

As to the usage of The it is strictly to be used only only when required, mainly to keep the sentences as short as possible. This is because when it comes to reading any information on the internet, it is advisable to keep them as short and simple as possible because attention of the reader may wander , therefore use of such words is restricted to as minimum as possible.

While using with,or,and for many times in a sentence can be grammatically sound, it may not make the sentence sound good.I too feel that we need to be specific while conveying our thoughts on the net or anywhere else.People get fed up of rambling, long sentences also long and descriptive articles ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Rajani K
Thanks for the link kalyani (My English MAM) :) ...but in the I got one doubt again... :blink: is this sentence correct.. "My dog is where"? :blink:
It all depends on the demands of a particular situation while making sentences. Using these prepositions and conjunctions more than once in a sentence does not make it ungrammatical! For example,I went with my brother with the sole intention of watching the game- is a perfectly grammatically constructed sentence!

OK I agree, the sentence has sense too..but sometimes repetition is not accepted, especially in US English...most of the web content is US English based..

Can you cite a few cases of such rejections?

one example is: This 3D illuminated wood puzzle is a fun and educative tool that challenges your kids thinking ability and develops their creative thinking skills.

here and is used two times..its told that comma should be there in such case... :unsure: In US English its not allowed..???? "The" is also not allowed to be used often in US English...(said by editor of the site)
:S

The above example that you have given, there is no necessity of a comma in it because there is a clear demarcation of the adjective part from the purpose of the said object, that is, thinking ability and develops their creative thinking skills. Therefore, as far as I understand, comma would not be required.

As to the usage of The it is strictly to be used only only when required, mainly to keep the sentences as short as possible. This is because when it comes to reading any information on the internet, it is advisable to keep them as short and simple as possible because attention of the reader may wander , therefore use of such words is restricted to as minimum as possible.

While using with,or,and for many times in a sentence can be grammatically sound, it may not make the sentence sound good.I too feel that we need to be specific while conveying our thoughts on the net or anywhere else.People get fed up of rambling, long sentences also long and descriptive articles ..

I agree with you @usha
If that's the reason I would try to adapt myself to write specific whenever needed.. but its specified as in US English "The" should'nt be used at all...????
If it is needed then one may write these prepositions twice but provided that they precede a noun or a pronoun and are needed to link the sentence.

Here is the link to a very lovely article that I found on the use of prepositions, I hope it will help you.

But link appears omitted accidentally. Please provide this.

Thanks for the link. The link has been provided in another post in response to similar request.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
Thanks for the link kalyani (My English MAM) :) ...but in the I got one doubt again... :blink: is this sentence correct.. "My dog is where"? :blink:

Its my pleasure Rajani! :) :) :)

Re: the sentence "My dog is where"? no that would be wrong and also it does not sound so right and good. Like what Usha has stated, it is also necessary for the sentence to sound right, to keep the reader interested.

Therefore, this sentence will be more better written as "where is my dog at?" Now here, at is again a preposition that is conventionally never written at the end of the sentence, but still this sentence is neither grammatically wrong nor does it sound awful. Therefore such sentences are acceptably used frequently.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: Rajani K

Re: the sentence "My dog is where"? no that would be wrong and also it does not sound so right and good. Like what Usha has stated, it is also necessary for the sentence to sound right, to keep the reader interested.

Therefore, this sentence will be more better written as "where is my dog at?" Now here, at is again a preposition that is conventionally never written at the end of the sentence, but still this sentence is neither grammatically wrong nor does it sound awful. Therefore such sentences are acceptably used frequently.

In the article its stated that "My dog is where"? is correct..that's why I was surprised... :huh:

In the article its stated that "My dog is where"? is correct..that's why I was surprised... :huh:

I am surprised too....was this accepted and published??? :blink:

I think the sentence may be unusual but grammatically structured. If we can accept 'My dog is here','My dog is there','My dog is no where'. We have to accept its adverbial use modifying 'is'!
Thank you said by: Sandhya Rani, Rajani K
I think the sentence may be unusual but grammatically structured. If we can accept 'My dog is here','My dog is there','My dog is no where'. We have to accept its adverbial use modifying 'is'!

True, but the difference is that sentences like 'My dog is here','My dog is there','My dog is no where' are mere statements that show the status of the object with respect to location, whereas "my dog is where" is more of a question asking the location of the object (in this case proper noun, dog) So in such a scenario, is it correct to use this phrase?? :blink:

It does indicate an uncertain status but a status all the same. It may be suffering from improper usage thus an infelicitous expression!
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.