Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Generally, we use oil/ refined oil for cooking. How is cooking in wine? I heard that chicken is also cooked in whiskey or rum. Has anyone ever taken such dish. If so, please share experience.

I too use red wine for a dish made with mutton and white wine for chicken.It is very tasty,I dont eat meat,but taste the gravy and it is good. Here in Mangalore we also use a locally made toddy called neera for cooking pork .Neera is also used for fermenting dough while making aappams, which are like dosas..

I have heard of neera, this is made of palm I think. This is easily available in Maharashtra and coastal areas I guess.

Yes sunil, it is toddy made from a special kind of palm tree, we have one at home :P , a very old one ! It is a very decorative tree and cutting it would be a great problem since you need to get the proper licence to do it...

But that is for all the grown up trees if you have to cut them you have to take permission from forest department especially fruit trees.

Yes thats true, you cannot cut any tree without a licence and some trees are even more difficult to cut like this toddy palm..
In Mangalore a local wine is made mostly by the catholic community which is a blend of red/black grapes and cashew fruits - a cross between feni and wine which has a sharp taste but nice ! It is extensively used by them while cooking pork,beef and other meat like rabbit and wild boar ..

This is wonderful to know so much about a totally new item. I had been in that area but never come across such food items because I avoided non veg while traveling. unless must.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

Generally, we use oil/ refined oil for cooking. How is cooking in wine? I heard that chicken is also cooked in whiskey or rum. Has anyone ever taken such dish. If so, please share experience.

I too use red wine for a dish made with mutton and white wine for chicken.It is very tasty,I dont eat meat,but taste the gravy and it is good. Here in Mangalore we also use a locally made toddy called neera for cooking pork .Neera is also used for fermenting dough while making aappams, which are like dosas..

I have heard that if meat is soaked in wine for sometime before cooking it becomes tender and also acquire a special taste. But I am hearing for the first time that wine can be used in place of cooking oil. So how do you use the wine? I mean don't you add oil at all??

I have heard of neera, this is made of palm I think. This is easily available in Maharashtra and coastal areas I guess.

Yes sunil, it is toddy made from a special kind of palm tree, we have one at home :P , a very old one ! It is a very decorative tree and cutting it would be a great problem since you need to get the proper licence to do it...

But that is for all the grown up trees if you have to cut them you have to take permission from forest department especially fruit trees.

Yes thats true, you cannot cut any tree without a licence and some trees are even more difficult to cut like this toddy palm..
In Mangalore a local wine is made mostly by the catholic community which is a blend of red/black grapes and cashew fruits - a cross between feni and wine which has a sharp taste but nice ! It is extensively used by them while cooking pork,beef and other meat like rabbit and wild boar ..

This is wonderful to know so much about a totally new item. I had been in that area but never come across such food items because I avoided non veg while traveling. unless must.

Yes sunil, that is something that is unique to our country,we have so many different types of cuisine and each region has its own special dishes.There is so much to learn and to eat lol... :cheer:

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

I have heard that if meat is soaked in wine for sometime before cooking it becomes tender and also acquire a special taste. But I am hearing for the first time that wine can be used in place of cooking oil. So how do you use the wine? I mean don't you add oil at all??

Jabeen, I do use some oil and butter for frying the onions and spices and add wine later on while the meat is cooking.As you say the chicken is soaked in wine and herbs and later cooked with the spices ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Jabeen, I do use some oil and butter for frying the onions and spices and add wine later on while the meat is cooking.As you say the chicken is soaked in wine and herbs and later cooked with the spices ..

I have heard that they use microwave oven to cook while using wine in place of orthodox ways.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

Wow you use Neera for cooking? I love Neera a lot, we get it here during the summer months and it is very much sweet and naturally cooling.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

WIth out wine there are no cooking in some countries as it is one main part of their cooking.

Earn money just for joining in this site.

http://www.money-friends.net/users/profile/en/155119.html

yes, sasikanth, most of the continental dishes are prepared using wine.

Slow and Steady Wins the Race.

They cannot live with out that wine they will get the taste if wine is not added to their foods.

Earn money just for joining in this site.

http://www.money-friends.net/users/profile/en/155119.html

I have seen in Fox Travellers a cooking show where a chef has cooked beef using wine. Chicken and mutton are also cooked in wine and sometimes fish. I have never experienced that. We live in India where winter season is not so cold compared to the western countries, claded with snow throughout the year .
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.