I came across this wise quote - "I sit astride life like a bad rider on a horse, I only owe it to the horse's good nature that I am not thrown off at this very moment " - one wonders where does destiny come into it? If the horse decided to throw us off, can we blame destiny for it ?
The word destiny ( karma) means a predetermined course of events considered as something that goes beyond human power or control....How far is this belief true or reliable ?

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
I came across this wise quote - "I sit astride life like a bad rider on a horse, I only owe it to the horse's good nature that I am not thrown off at this very moment " - one wonders where does destiny come into it? If the horse decided to throw us off, can we blame destiny for it ?
The word destiny ( karma) means a predetermined course of events considered as something that goes beyond human power or control....How far is this belief true or reliable ?

For me this belief in destiny is unreliable.
History is replete with stories of heroes and heroines who simply defied their beliefs in destiny and rewritten their own destiny with their own scrips. When Beethoven's last symphony was presented to the elite audience and at the end of the symphony, he received a standing ovation, his assistant had to tell with him, "That's the applause for your Symphony. "
Beethoven remained as a deaf man for most of his life time and during this period , he has composed his best symphonies. Where comes the Destiny here?
Thank you said by: usha manohar, Gulshan Kumar Ajmani

Fatalism is a way of life not only in India.It has been ruling the lives of all in many materially advanced countries, there would be always a raging debate which is likely to remain inconclusive. I personally don't subscribe to it!!
Thank you said by: usha manohar

For me this belief in destiny is unreliable.
History is replete with stories of heroes and heroines who simply defied their beliefs in destiny and rewritten their own destiny with their own scrips. When Beethoven's last symphony was presented to the elite audience and at the end of the symphony, he received a standing ovation, his assistant had to tell with him, "That's the applause for your Symphony. "
Beethoven remained as a deaf man for most of his life time and during this period , he has composed his best symphonies. Where comes the Destiny here?

I know....we make our own destinies if we have the courage and the vision.When things go wrong people tend to look for answers and the theory of destiny or karma provides an easy solution !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Fatalism is a way of life not only in India.It has been ruling the lives of all in many materially advanced countries, there would be always a raging debate which is likely to remain inconclusive. I personally don't subscribe to it!!

Ruling and to a certain ruining live as well since people become complacent refusing to do anything believing that destiny or what is written cannot be changed, that's why people rush to astrologists and palmists ...

Ruling and to a certain ruining live as well since people become complacent refusing to do anything believing that destiny or what is written cannot be changed, that's why people rush to astrologists and palmists ...

And its the first item in any periodical or a TV programme or a website. "What the stars foretell" has become ubiquitous.

And its the first item in any periodical or a TV programme or a website. "What the stars foretell" has become ubiquitous.

I dont understand how educated people even think of believing in these predictions...I know of many marriages called off at the last minute because something dint match inspite the couple having gotten quite close to one another..

The human life- rather all life and events in the world are inter related and a team work. In the example given also, there is a team of rider and horse. Then the rider and horse also depend on weather condition, track and likelihood of meeting robbers and other criminals. In view of complex human relation, there is no certainty in life.
However uncertainty and fate are not same. Life is uncertain but not predetermined. The most significant player is the person living his life. He can take appropriate steps and steer through all stages- easy or difficult- and achieve his goal. Man is captain of his life- ship. Winds and wares are on the side of the ablest navigator.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Coming to fatalism I am reminded of great bard's lines in Macbeth!!

"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more; it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

I am neutral when it comes to destiny. But I have seen and know many people who blame destiny when something bad happens to them. Destiny is taken for a ride at will. It is cursed and kicked. But when something nice happens to them...........
It is the tendency of people to blame when fail and happy when they are appreciated for something.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.