The topic is locked.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
International Day of Older persons is observed on 01st of the month of October every year. We should respect the people of previous generations. Now, most of us ignore our parents during their old age which is infact a second childhood for them.

I agree, in fact I and my wife took best care of our respective parents along with our siblings. I am so sorry to see some people do not look after their parents when they need it most.

During our childhood, we asked many silly questions and repeated the same questions. Our parents replied politely. But now we simply tell our parents that they do not know about anything. We do not give them opportunity to interact with us to share their life experiences.

Elders should be protected and looked after. But there is responsibility on the elders also. They should study and understand the conditions especially quick and ever changing times. They should understand that their children have to race along with the times. And to this extent, older parents should know that their children are not looking after them intentionally.

If senior citizens or elders could really study and understand the conditions especially quick and ever changing times, they would not be really 'elder'- but young mentally and most probably physically also and they would care and not be cared. However, it is natural to lose some mental and physical capacity with advancing age. Hence need to care for them. In fact every one- who is infirm- young or old- needs care and compassion.

These mentally young senior citizens, give lot of importance to health. Because they know, it's mostly old age related health problems will upset the ever busy younger generation. And it's this situation that creates misunderstandings between the old and the young. Elders demand the presence of young ones. And the young ones even they really want to be with their parents, cannot do because of fast life style and other exigencies.

Mentally young senior citizens avoid such ugly situations by staying healthy . Thus they never become a burden to the youngsters.

Well said. My father was the type you mentioned. He would take care of his health and get medical check up periodically. He really was critically sick only for a few months before death. He would travel to places alone even at 85.

I think there were too many similarities in between our fathers. My father also died 3 years before in this month at 82 and he was walking until day before last he left for his last journey. He used to walk 4-6 km a day and never hired a porter for carrying his bags when going from Solan to Meerut or Meerut to Dwarka all alone where he spent his summers and winters respectively.

Yes. Its possible for all those who plan their old age in a systematic way and prepare themselves mentally and physically. For such senior citizens life is a happy journey. They neither experience nor cause unhappiness to the people around them.

You see this is person specific how does he want to spend old age, if he wants to live peacefully he must do it by choosing his way of living according to circumstances with keeping self-respect in his mind. Cooperation is key of the situation.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

International Day of Older persons is observed on 01st of the month of October every year. We should respect the people of previous generations. Now, most of us ignore our parents during their old age which is infact a second childhood for them.

I agree, in fact I and my wife took best care of our respective parents along with our siblings. I am so sorry to see some people do not look after their parents when they need it most.

During our childhood, we asked many silly questions and repeated the same questions. Our parents replied politely. But now we simply tell our parents that they do not know about anything. We do not give them opportunity to interact with us to share their life experiences.

Elders should be protected and looked after. But there is responsibility on the elders also. They should study and understand the conditions especially quick and ever changing times. They should understand that their children have to race along with the times. And to this extent, older parents should know that their children are not looking after them intentionally.

If senior citizens or elders could really study and understand the conditions especially quick and ever changing times, they would not be really 'elder'- but young mentally and most probably physically also and they would care and not be cared. However, it is natural to lose some mental and physical capacity with advancing age. Hence need to care for them. In fact every one- who is infirm- young or old- needs care and compassion.

These mentally young senior citizens, give lot of importance to health. Because they know, it's mostly old age related health problems will upset the ever busy younger generation. And it's this situation that creates misunderstandings between the old and the young. Elders demand the presence of young ones. And the young ones even they really want to be with their parents, cannot do because of fast life style and other exigencies.

Mentally young senior citizens avoid such ugly situations by staying healthy . Thus they never become a burden to the youngsters.

Well said. My father was the type you mentioned. He would take care of his health and get medical check up periodically. He really was critically sick only for a few months before death. He would travel to places alone even at 85.

I think there were too many similarities in between our fathers. My father also died 3 years before in this month at 82 and he was walking until day before last he left for his last journey. He used to walk 4-6 km a day and never hired a porter for carrying his bags when going from Solan to Meerut or Meerut to Dwarka all alone where he spent his summers and winters respectively.

Yes. Its possible for all those who plan their old age in a systematic way and prepare themselves mentally and physically. For such senior citizens life is a happy journey. They neither experience nor cause unhappiness to the people around them.

You see this is person specific how does he want to spend old age, if he wants to live peacefully he must do it by choosing his way of living according to circumstances with keeping self-respect in his mind. Cooperation is key of the situation.

Everybody wants to lead a happy life unto the last. Many people just stop with their thinking. A few will turn their thoughts in to actions. Its life. What you give your life today will bear fruits tomorrow accordingly. The more you invest, the better will be your evening of your life.

I really agree with you.Parents could providing food and all basic things to their 5 sons during child hood.But that 5sons could not providing any thing to those parents.so sad...

I really agree with you.Parents could providing food and all basic things to their 5 sons during child hood.But that 5sons could not providing any thing to those parents.so sad...
It is true and Hindi films is preoccupied with such films as movies are mirror of society and film like Avtar and so many others so how a servant can help parents, instead of their own son.

http://mohanmekap.com/

we have many stereo types in our films which take an extreme view instead of being balanced.there is no perfect situation or solution in life.i watched Baghban the other day and felt what a shoddy job the director had done with the storyline. A banker who is dealing with money and investment day in and day out is broke to the extent that he has no money to repair his spectacles after retirement.....Have they forgotten that banking jobs carry pension and even if his PF is nil, he still has something to live on. ...The other films too show things in a very unrealistic manner making the children villains and the parents eternally suffering ....I am sure there are such cases but they may be few ...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

we have many stereo types in our films which take an extreme view instead of being balanced.there is no perfect situation or solution in life.i watched Baghban the other day and felt what a shoddy job the director had done with the storyline. A banker who is dealing with money and investment day in and day out is broke to the extent that he has no money to repair his spectacles after retirement.....Have they forgotten that banking jobs carry pension and even if his PF is nil, he still has something to live on. ...The other films too show things in a very unrealistic manner making the children villains and the parents eternally suffering ....I am sure there are such cases but they may be few ...

Hindi films are known to exaggerate many real life situations to the extent that they almost become funny and ridiculous, I agree Baghban is quite shoddily done and we cannot digest a savvy banker to be so gullible. Yet there are many such examples where children do make a big show of love adn devotion to parents and once they get everything turned into their names, they leave their parents on their fate!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Hindi films are known to exaggerate many real life situations to the extent that they almost become funny and ridiculous, I agree Baghban is quite shoddily done and we cannot digest a savvy banker to be so gullible. Yet there are many such examples where children do make a big show of love adn devotion to parents and once they get everything turned into their names, they leave their parents on their fate!

Of course there are some children who are so greedy that they become totally uncaring and insensitive to the needs of the parents. So, it is better for everyone to be prepared for the worst and see that they are financially comfortable during their old age, may be even book a old age home ...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Of course there are some children who are so greedy that they become totally uncaring and insensitive to the needs of the parents. So, it is better for everyone to be prepared for the worst and see that they are financially comfortable during their old age, may be even book a old age home ...

A renowned builder in Pune built such a project on the outskirts of Pune, an up-scale, modern scheme of bungalows and rowhouses in picturesque surroundings, and it has become a fashion in the affluent families to book a home for the elderly in that scheme. They even have their own bus service to and from prominent areas in the city! Many elderly couples actually are opting on their own free will to go live there! Maybe it is a welcome and positive sign since more and more children are now migrating out of country and are unavailable to care for their parents!

A renowned builder in Pune built such a project on the outskirts of Pune, an up-scale, modern scheme of bungalows and rowhouses in picturesque surroundings, and it has become a fashion in the affluent families to book a home for the elderly in that scheme. They even have their own bus service to and from prominent areas in the city! Many elderly couples actually are opting on their own free will to go live there! Maybe it is a welcome and positive sign since more and more children are now migrating out of country and are unavailable to care for their parents!

Absolutely ! One should move with the times, I too have visited a couple of such old age homes, one run by a christian institute which caters to thye middle class people which was run beautifully...Another like in Pune, is on the outskirts of the city with small villas and row houses, looked after by the staff and the people living there seem very happy since they have company and have a set routine..

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

Absolutely ! One should move with the times, I too have visited a couple of such old age homes, one run by a christian institute which caters to thye middle class people which was run beautifully...Another like in Pune, is on the outskirts of the city with small villas and row houses, looked after by the staff and the people living there seem very happy since they have company and have a set routine..

But still the ones run by government and NGOs are very dismal since not all old people can afford better places. All they offer is food and roof over the head but lack warmth and love of a home!

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.