The topic is locked.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
International Day of Older persons is observed on 01st of the month of October every year. We should respect the people of previous generations. Now, most of us ignore our parents during their old age which is infact a second childhood for them.

I feel that we have to see things without any rose tinted glasses.The present day life is such that everyone is under some kind of stress or other unlike what things were 2 decades back. Just because I looked after mmy mother I cannot expect the same from my children because their own life style may be different .You have to impartially analyse and adjust according to the circumstances.this applies to both the children as well as the parents...

There is one more aspect to it that we must not forget, and that is the willingness or rather unwillingness to adapt to the current scenario. In the past, that is until the last decade, there were not many glaring changes in lifestyle and work situations. But now that is not the case, everything has changed drastically and if one were to maintain a decent home and lifestyle, both the son and daughter--in-law and in some cases, daughter and son-in-law etc. have to work. So it becomes important for the elders to adjust to their times and needs, but in majority of the cases, they refuse to do so resulting in conflict situations.

Yes thats true ! In some cases it is the seniors who tend to be over sensitive and in some other cases it is the youngsters who take the seniors for granted.If one can strike a balance, also communicate about all issues with each other there would be a much better understanding ! Personally I feel that communication is very important in any relationship

Exactly! But communication is possible only when both sides are willing to consider each others' points which is quite rare. My best friend's mother is quite elderly and lives alone since her son is settled abroad. My friend is the only other child of this lady and she is a senior manager so very busy, in spite of her extremely busy schedule she visits her mum every 2-3 days. But on occasions she cannot make it for longer time, she asks her mother to stay with her but the old lady straightaway refuses making it very difficult for my friend. There have been a number of occasions she has had to rush from important meetings to her mum's house for extremely silly reasons! :blink: Is it fair to my friend?

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

International Day of Older persons is observed on 01st of the month of October every year. We should respect the people of previous generations. Now, most of us ignore our parents during their old age which is infact a second childhood for them.

I feel that we have to see things without any rose tinted glasses.The present day life is such that everyone is under some kind of stress or other unlike what things were 2 decades back. Just because I looked after mmy mother I cannot expect the same from my children because their own life style may be different .You have to impartially analyse and adjust according to the circumstances.this applies to both the children as well as the parents...

There is one more aspect to it that we must not forget, and that is the willingness or rather unwillingness to adapt to the current scenario. In the past, that is until the last decade, there were not many glaring changes in lifestyle and work situations. But now that is not the case, everything has changed drastically and if one were to maintain a decent home and lifestyle, both the son and daughter--in-law and in some cases, daughter and son-in-law etc. have to work. So it becomes important for the elders to adjust to their times and needs, but in majority of the cases, they refuse to do so resulting in conflict situations.

Yes thats true ! In some cases it is the seniors who tend to be over sensitive and in some other cases it is the youngsters who take the seniors for granted.If one can strike a balance, also communicate about all issues with each other there would be a much better understanding ! Personally I feel that communication is very important in any relationship

Exactly! But communication is possible only when both sides are willing to consider each others' points which is quite rare. My best friend's mother is quite elderly and lives alone since her son is settled abroad. My friend is the only other child of this lady and she is a senior manager so very busy, in spite of her extremely busy schedule she visits her mum every 2-3 days. But on occasions she cannot make it for longer time, she asks her mother to stay with her but the old lady straightaway refuses making it very difficult for my friend. There have been a number of occasions she has had to rush from important meetings to her mum's house for extremely silly reasons! :blink: Is it fair to my friend?

It is definitely unfair and insensitive not being able to understand the pressures your own daughter has ! I guess at that age their own insecurities coupled with failing physical health makes them selfich to a certain extent ! But I have also seen cases where the parents are so independant that they just dont want to have anything to do with their children, not even helping out with the grand children...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

It is definitely unfair and insensitive not being able to understand the pressures your own daughter has ! I guess at that age their own insecurities coupled with failing physical health makes them selfich to a certain extent ! But I have also seen cases where the parents are so independant that they just dont want to have anything to do with their children, not even helping out with the grand children...

True....I have seen such types too, in fact one of my aunts belongs to that category! Like you mentioned earlier, it is important to understand and recognize the proper balance between the two! Almost always we see the extreme of all types of cases. In my building there is this family where the grandparents are quite elderly and end up looking after the youngest kid of 3 the entire day which is quite difficult for them without help! There is almost no balance seen anywhere!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

I agree, in fact I and my wife took best care of our respective parents along with our siblings. I am so sorry to see some people do not look after their parents when they need it most.

During our childhood, we asked many silly questions and repeated the same questions. Our parents replied politely. But now we simply tell our parents that they do not know about anything. We do not give them opportunity to interact with us to share their life experiences.

Elders should be protected and looked after. But there is responsibility on the elders also. They should study and understand the conditions especially quick and ever changing times. They should understand that their children have to race along with the times. And to this extent, older parents should know that their children are not looking after them intentionally.

If senior citizens or elders could really study and understand the conditions especially quick and ever changing times, they would not be really 'elder'- but young mentally and most probably physically also and they would care and not be cared. However, it is natural to lose some mental and physical capacity with advancing age. Hence need to care for them. In fact every one- who is infirm- young or old- needs care and compassion.

These mentally young senior citizens, give lot of importance to health. Because they know, it's mostly old age related health problems will upset the ever busy younger generation. And it's this situation that creates misunderstandings between the old and the young. Elders demand the presence of young ones. And the young ones even they really want to be with their parents, cannot do because of fast life style and other exigencies.

Mentally young senior citizens avoid such ugly situations by staying healthy . Thus they never become a burden to the youngsters.

I couldn't agree with you more, you see I had decided to retire from my regular job but to stay active and to help my children (my only daughter) I decided to go under training and then take up a job on retainer-ship basis where there is no need to attend an office regularly was my way of having some time together with them and help them settle in this country. I may even decide to keep coming and going here to see our children growing properly. And who knows if we come to stay here permanently as we have PR VISA that makes us eligible to stay in any country.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

I agree, in fact I and my wife took best care of our respective parents along with our siblings. I am so sorry to see some people do not look after their parents when they need it most.

During our childhood, we asked many silly questions and repeated the same questions. Our parents replied politely. But now we simply tell our parents that they do not know about anything. We do not give them opportunity to interact with us to share their life experiences.

Elders should be protected and looked after. But there is responsibility on the elders also. They should study and understand the conditions especially quick and ever changing times. They should understand that their children have to race along with the times. And to this extent, older parents should know that their children are not looking after them intentionally.

If senior citizens or elders could really study and understand the conditions especially quick and ever changing times, they would not be really 'elder'- but young mentally and most probably physically also and they would care and not be cared. However, it is natural to lose some mental and physical capacity with advancing age. Hence need to care for them. In fact every one- who is infirm- young or old- needs care and compassion.

These mentally young senior citizens, give lot of importance to health. Because they know, it's mostly old age related health problems will upset the ever busy younger generation. And it's this situation that creates misunderstandings between the old and the young. Elders demand the presence of young ones. And the young ones even they really want to be with their parents, cannot do because of fast life style and other exigencies.

Mentally young senior citizens avoid such ugly situations by staying healthy . Thus they never become a burden to the youngsters.

I couldn't agree with you more, you see I had decided to retire from my regular job but to stay active and to help my children (my only daughter) I decided to go under training and then take up a job on retainer-ship basis where there is no need to attend an office regularly was my way of having some time together with them and help them settle in this country. I may even decide to keep coming and going here to see our children growing properly. And who knows if we come to stay here permanently as we have PR VISA that makes us eligible to stay in any country.

PR Visa has its limitations to regions.If you have got it from Australia you can go to New zealand without a Visa and anyway places like Thailand ,Indonesia and Malysia give Visa on arrival, but you cannot go to China with the Australian PR visa.Similarly you cannot travel to European countries or USA with that visa ( although you may find it easier to get one ) whereas you may be able to travel to Canada...I have many relatives who have PR visa ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Well said. My father was the type you mentioned. He would take care of his health and get medical check up periodically. He really was critically sick only for a few months before death. He would travel to places alone even at 85.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Thank you said by: suni51

PR Visa has its limitations to regions.If you have got it from Australia you can go to New zealand without a Visa and anyway places like Thailand ,Indonesia and Malysia give Visa on arrival, but you cannot go to China with the Australian PR visa.Similarly you cannot travel to European countries or USA with that visa ( although you may find it easier to get one ) whereas you may be able to travel to Canada...I have many relatives who have PR visa ..

No I did not mean any country by anywhere in the world but either India or Australia. New Zealand of course included as I am working with a company having offices in NZ and Australia. :) :)

Well said. My father was the type you mentioned. He would take care of his health and get medical check up periodically. He really was critically sick only for a few months before death. He would travel to places alone even at 85.

Exactly. When I tried to extend my help to an old man while getting down in Tirupati station, he politely refused my help and got down from the compartment with his luggage all alone with an astonishing dignity.

I think there were too many similarities in between our fathers. My father also died 3 years before in this month at 82 and he was walking until day before last he left for his last journey. He used to walk 4-6 km a day and never hired a porter for carrying his bags when going from Solan to Meerut or Meerut to Dwarka all alone where he spent his summers and winters respectively.

I think there were too many similarities in between our fathers. My father also died 3 years before in this month at 82 and he was walking until day before last he left for his last journey. He used to walk 4-6 km a day and never hired a porter for carrying his bags when going from Solan to Meerut or Meerut to Dwarka all alone where he spent his summers and winters respectively.

Yes. Its possible for all those who plan their old age in a systematic way and prepare themselves mentally and physically. For such senior citizens life is a happy journey. They neither experience nor cause unhappiness to the people around them.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.