The topic is locked.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
International Day of Older persons is observed on 01st of the month of October every year. We should respect the people of previous generations. Now, most of us ignore our parents during their old age which is infact a second childhood for them.

I agree, in fact I and my wife took best care of our respective parents along with our siblings. I am so sorry to see some people do not look after their parents when they need it most.

During our childhood, we asked many silly questions and repeated the same questions. Our parents replied politely. But now we simply tell our parents that they do not know about anything. We do not give them opportunity to interact with us to share their life experiences.

Elders should be protected and looked after. But there is responsibility on the elders also. They should study and understand the conditions especially quick and ever changing times. They should understand that their children have to race along with the times. And to this extent, older parents should know that their children are not looking after them intentionally.

I have seen several advertisements for the homes for tha aged. Most of the people spent a lot for their parents as their parents reside in the home for the aged. Parents do not expect money from their parents. They want their heirs to spend time with them. They need love, affection and caring.

Of course love and affection are expected by the parents especially during old age from their children. But in these hard days, it becomes essential for the children to work day and night to maintain the family. In such conditions it may not be possible for the children to be present physically to be with their parents. It's here parents should understand that their children's absence is not intentional. I have seen many old people cooperating with their children to maintain peace and harmony in the family.

Some aged people go a step further. They try to support their children who in present day atmosphere are forced to work day and night to keep themselves with the society. To help them remain ahead, the older generation go all out to stand with them to keep them in the race. Yet some children do not understand their sacrifice which perhaps is the worst situation.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

International Day of Older persons is observed on 01st of the month of October every year. We should respect the people of previous generations. Now, most of us ignore our parents during their old age which is infact a second childhood for them.

I agree, in fact I and my wife took best care of our respective parents along with our siblings. I am so sorry to see some people do not look after their parents when they need it most.

During our childhood, we asked many silly questions and repeated the same questions. Our parents replied politely. But now we simply tell our parents that they do not know about anything. We do not give them opportunity to interact with us to share their life experiences.

Elders should be protected and looked after. But there is responsibility on the elders also. They should study and understand the conditions especially quick and ever changing times. They should understand that their children have to race along with the times. And to this extent, older parents should know that their children are not looking after them intentionally.

I have seen several advertisements for the homes for tha aged. Most of the people spent a lot for their parents as their parents reside in the home for the aged. Parents do not expect money from their parents. They want their heirs to spend time with them. They need love, affection and caring.

Of course love and affection are expected by the parents especially during old age from their children. But in these hard days, it becomes essential for the children to work day and night to maintain the family. In such conditions it may not be possible for the children to be present physically to be with their parents. It's here parents should understand that their children's absence is not intentional. I have seen many old people cooperating with their children to maintain peace and harmony in the family.

Some aged people go a step further. They try to support their children who in present day atmosphere are forced to work day and night to keep themselves with the society. To help them remain ahead, the older generation go all out to stand with them to keep them in the race. Yet some children do not understand their sacrifice which perhaps is the worst situation.

That's the point Sunil. Let me tell the routine of an 80 year old senior citizen in my neighbourhood. He's very health conscious. Gets up at 4 am.Does yoga for 39 minutes, While his daughter-in-law, son and his children still in bed, the old man quietely slips out without disturbing of the sleeping family members. During his morning walk, he collects flowers for his DIL's puja. Buys vegetables for the day. and enters his house. By that time, DIL gets up and keeps her FIL's favourite steaming cup of coffee.. And his son comes out with the morning news paper and places in the hands of the old man. His son, a busy software engineer, gets ready and leaves for his work spot.

The old man after his coffee goes to the computer and immerses himself in article writing for a web site without disturbing anybody. By that time his grand children are ready for school. The old man happily takes them to the bus stand and sees them off.
This can be done by a senior citizen with a little bit of planning and thinking. Such senior citizens can never be a a burden to the family .Rather they are the most loved to the entire family

That's the point Sunil. Let me tell the routine of an 80 year old senior citizen in my neighbourhood. He's very health conscious. Gets up at 4 am.Does yoga for 39 minutes, While his daughter-in-law, son and his children still in bed, the old man quietely slips out without disturbing of the sleeping family members. During his morning walk, he collects flowers for his DIL's puja. Buys vegetables for the day. and enters his house. By that time, DIL gets up and keeps her FIL's favourite steaming cup of coffee.. And his son comes out with the morning news paper and places in the hands of the old man. His son, a busy software engineer, gets ready and leaves for his work spot.

The old man after his coffee goes to the computer and immerses himself in article writing for a web site without disturbing anybody. By that time his grand children are ready for school. The old man happily takes them to the bus stand and sees them off.
This can be done by a senior citizen with a little bit of planning and thinking. Such senior citizens can never be a a burden to the family .Rather they are the most loved to the entire family

Yes, not all older people are financially weak, they want love and affection from their children and an assurance that they will live in peace. Respect is what their main concern is yet so rare in today's time. I know the truth behind your story.

If senior citizens or elders could really study and understand the conditions especially quick and ever changing times, they would not be really 'elder'- but young mentally and most probably physically also and they would care and not be cared. However, it is natural to lose some mental and physical capacity with advancing age. Hence need to care for them. In fact every one- who is infirm- young or old- needs care and compassion.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

I feel that we have to see things without any rose tinted glasses.The present day life is such that everyone is under some kind of stress or other unlike what things were 2 decades back. Just because I looked after mmy mother I cannot expect the same from my children because their own life style may be different .You have to impartially analyse and adjust according to the circumstances.this applies to both the children as well as the parents...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

I feel that we have to see things without any rose tinted glasses.The present day life is such that everyone is under some kind of stress or other unlike what things were 2 decades back. Just because I looked after mmy mother I cannot expect the same from my children because their own life style may be different .You have to impartially analyse and adjust according to the circumstances.this applies to both the children as well as the parents...

Well said usha ji. I have seen several adveritsements for the Old age homes with luxurious facilities called "Comunity for the aged".

Born to express, not to impress.
http://royalrobsideas.blogspot.in/
Thank you said by: usha manohar

If senior citizens or elders could really study and understand the conditions especially quick and ever changing times, they would not be really 'elder'- but young mentally and most probably physically also and they would care and not be cared. However, it is natural to lose some mental and physical capacity with advancing age. Hence need to care for them. In fact every one- who is infirm- young or old- needs care and compassion.

I agree, the relations between aging parents and children will always be cordial and understanding if both of the parties understand each other's problems and act accordingly. making issues and bringing ego in between will not help the matter in any way.

Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani

These mentally young senior citizens, give lot of importance to health. Because they know, it's mostly old age related health problems will upset the ever busy younger generation. And it's this situation that creates misunderstandings between the old and the young. Elders demand the presence of young ones. And the young ones even they really want to be with their parents, cannot do because of fast life style and other exigencies.

Mentally young senior citizens avoid such ugly situations by staying healthy . Thus they never become a burden to the youngsters.
Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani

There is one more aspect to it that we must not forget, and that is the willingness or rather unwillingness to adapt to the current scenario. In the past, that is until the last decade, there were not many glaring changes in lifestyle and work situations. But now that is not the case, everything has changed drastically and if one were to maintain a decent home and lifestyle, both the son and daughter--in-law and in some cases, daughter and son-in-law etc. have to work. So it becomes important for the elders to adjust to their times and needs, but in majority of the cases, they refuse to do so resulting in conflict situations.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

There is one more aspect to it that we must not forget, and that is the willingness or rather unwillingness to adapt to the current scenario. In the past, that is until the last decade, there were not many glaring changes in lifestyle and work situations. But now that is not the case, everything has changed drastically and if one were to maintain a decent home and lifestyle, both the son and daughter--in-law and in some cases, daughter and son-in-law etc. have to work. So it becomes important for the elders to adjust to their times and needs, but in majority of the cases, they refuse to do so resulting in conflict situations.

Yes thats true ! In some cases it is the seniors who tend to be over sensitive and in some other cases it is the youngsters who take the seniors for granted.If one can strike a balance, also communicate about all issues with each other there would be a much better understanding ! Personally I feel that communication is very important in any relationship

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.