Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
I know about some of the side effects of bitter gourd, especially for pregnant women.
Consuming bitter gourd can be risky for an expecting mother. Bitter gourd juice contains momocharin, which is toxic and is the root cause of miscarriages.

Yes that I too knew that since Papayas esp raw papayas and bitter gourd are not recommmended for pregnant women during the early months of pregnancy...

I love Karela especially stuffed Karela. Chewing a leaf of Bitter gourd in the mornings is my child habit.

I too love stuffed Karelas in gravy, one of my favorite dishes ever ! In Mangalore we also make a curry along with what is locally known as Ambade or Amte Kai ( in Kannada) or Hog plums which is a delicacy...I have given the picture of Ambade below..

{CJATTACHMENT ["id": 11111]}

We get this here in Maharashtra too although it is eaten more along the coastal belt and are also called Ambade in Marathi, I have never tasted it though.

@Back to topic, anything in excess even if healthy will become harmful later on. So moderation is the key to everything including karela!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: usha manohar
Bitter gourd, in Odisha we call it Kalara, is good if it is taken in fewer quantities if it is taken in larger quantity it can generate acidity. :whistle: :whistle:

http://mohanmekap.com/

Thank you said by: usha manohar
[quote]"Kalyani Nandurkar" post=383424]

We get this here in Maharashtra too although it is eaten more along the coastal belt and are also called Ambade in Marathi, I have never tasted it though.

@Back to topic, anything in excess even if healthy will become harmful later on. So moderation is the key to everything including karela![/quote]

We use it with fish and prawn curry since it is sour and also make pickles out of it...I agree anything eaten in excess can be bad for your system..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

I know about some of the side effects of bitter gourd, especially for pregnant women.
Consuming bitter gourd can be risky for an expecting mother. Bitter gourd juice contains momocharin, which is toxic and is the root cause of miscarriages.

Yes that I too knew that since Papayas esp raw papayas and bitter gourd are not recommmended for pregnant women during the early months of pregnancy...

I love Karela especially stuffed Karela. Chewing a leaf of Bitter gourd in the mornings is my child habit.

I too love stuffed Karelas in gravy, one of my favorite dishes ever ! In Mangalore we also make a curry along with what is locally known as Ambade or Amte Kai ( in Kannada) or Hog plums which is a delicacy...I have given the picture of Ambade below..

Looks interesting, never tried though. But, bitter guard is quite common at our home. Did not know of its side effects. Good information.

Quite an alluring picture. Ambade is totally new delicacy in Andhra.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.