Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

You view is honored and respected. No more bickering.

rambabu wrote:

You view is honored and respected. No more bickering.

Thank you very much!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: vijay

But  Kalyani , while I appreciate your views of a young generation  , it is not getting reflected in matrimonial advts. where no one says they want a black girl but everyone wants a fair bride. Perhaps more time is needed, 

vijay wrote:

But  Kalyani , while I appreciate your views of a young generation  , it is not getting reflected in matrimonial advts. where no one says they want a black girl but everyone wants a fair bride. Perhaps more time is needed, 

I totally agree, but then it is also the fact that many many weddings happen where both the bride and the groom are not fastidious about looks or complexion. As of now, I think the advertisers of beauty products are to blame from projecting that only the people with fair complexion are smart, intelligent, get ahead in life etc. But in real life, I am seeing the exceptions more than ever before. And yes of course, as you say, more time is still needed to change the widespread outlook!

Definitely. aversion to Black especially deeply rooted in our society. This kind of belief has to be changed in the society. Of course, I have seen some rare matrimonial ads where there is a clause, "Caste and color no bar. "

Yes the advt. for fair color are surely responsible for this preference for fair color. It is surprising why the govt. does not ban them instead of wasting its energy on banning meat etc. I once saw a discussion on a TV channel where the advt. expert Padamsee was justifying the promotion of whitening creams. His arguments were unconvincing but he was influencing the viewers.

vijay wrote:

Yes the advt. for fair color are surely responsible for this preference for fair color. It is surprising why the govt. does not ban them instead of wasting its energy on banning meat etc. I once saw a discussion on a TV channel where the advt. expert Padamsee was justifying the promotion of whitening creams. His arguments were unconvincing but he was influencing the viewers.

How can they ban such commercials when there is so much money to be earned?? If you notice, all those commercials are for products manufactured by MNCs which must be paying enormous amounts of money to the government in various taxes! And their justification coming from the likes of Padamsee are really not encouraging!

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
vijay wrote:

How can they ban such commercials when there is so much money to be earned?? If you notice, all those commercials are for products manufactured by MNCs which must be paying enormous amounts of money to the government in various taxes! And their justification coming from the likes of Padamsee are really not encouraging!

They go purely by the demands of the society and unless it is legally banned, they will continue to defend their products.A few days back I came across an article where it was mentioned that a couple of actresses have decided not to act in fairness cream commercials which I feel is good.But there are huundreds of others who would go for the money !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

If the society expresses its consciousness forcefully govts will have to respond and ban the advts. 

For that change we have to wait. Change takes time to make it a norm. Glad, i'm seeing some changes in the society, though in traces.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.