Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Better late than never. Every year awards are given. There are quite a big number of individuals who deserve such honor. all cannot be so honored in a year. The recipients should accept the honor gracefully rather than accusing why this was not awarded earlier. I feel that government follows certain procedure while giving such awards.

I too feel that she should have accepted the award gracefully and have her say as well, because what she says does make sense to a great extent...

The issue is that nobody can be judge for oneself. Anyone may be very good singer or writer or anything but this is not for him to judge. There is always some authority to judge and act. In the matter of awards, it is central government who decides and gives award by following certain procedure. The decision may not always be very correct but it is not appropriate to challenge the authority of government in this regard. Moreover, there are quite a good number of eligible individuals in every field and there can always be difference of opinion in such matters. Talent cannot be measured same way as you measure length of a building.

I agree with you. I remember to have seen the veteran singer Usha Uthoop receive one such award too late in her life. Well, it wasn't a Padma award. I think it was Filmfare or Screen. I don't remember it clearly. But I remember to have heard the lady say that she got the award after around 4 decades of her singing. All the people stood up to applaud her.
Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani
agrees with you. All south indian states together got awards less than one north indian state.
Thank you said by: Mary
It should be given to her before itself. Its a great delay. She achieved herself long ago.

http://rebacca-vethathiri.blogspot.in/
Better late than never. Every year awards are given. There are quite a big number of individuals who deserve such honor. all cannot be so honored in a year. The recipients should accept the honor gracefully rather than accusing why this was not awarded earlier. I feel that government follows certain procedure while giving such awards.

I too feel that she should have accepted the award gracefully and have her say as well, because what she says does make sense to a great extent...

Ushaji you are right. South Indians are not given that much preference as North Indians even in the case of Dada Phalke Award.
yet, Music is a blessing of God that singers give it to music lovers. it's an act with purity with less expectations. So awards are not the criteria to decide if a person is worth or not. she should have accepted it.
let me add one more thing....after Chitra, she is my most favourite South Indian singer. But if I compare songs sung by these two, golden melodies sung by Janaki in 80's are really marvellous. if I choose 10 best Malayalam songs of my favourite, no doubt at least 5 or 6 will surely belong to Janaki
Malayalam Songs of 80's surely make me mad, particularly solo numbers of Janaki amma (she is commonly called so) ...everrgreen decade of tunes :)

Meera sandhu
Thank you said by: usha manohar

The issue is that nobody can be judge for oneself. Anyone may be very good singer or writer or anything but this is not for him to judge. There is always some authority to judge and act. In the matter of awards, it is central government who decides and gives award by following certain procedure. The decision may not always be very correct but it is not appropriate to challenge the authority of government in this regard. Moreover, there are quite a good number of eligible individuals in every field and there can always be difference of opinion in such matters. Talent cannot be measured same way as you measure length of a building.

I agree with you. I remember to have seen the veteran singer Usha Uthoop receive one such award too late in her life. Well, it wasn't a Padma award. I think it was Filmfare or Screen. I don't remember it clearly. But I remember to have heard the lady say that she got the award after around 4 decades of her singing. All the people stood up to applaud her.

ya...
It's the filmfare awards where she got best singer award along with Rekha Bhardwaj for 'Saat Khoon Maaf'. she cried in front of millions while receiving the award. her tears were so innocent and they touch my heart when i viewed the program

Meera sandhu
Yes, she is right, late recognization, she must have been given the award long back

http://beautytipsforflawlessskin.blogspot.com/

Ushaji you are right. South Indians are not given that much preference as North Indians even in the case of Dada Phalke Award.
yet, Music is a blessing of God that singers give it to music lovers. it's an act with purity with less expectations. So awards are not the criteria to decide if a person is worth or not. she should have accepted it.
let me add one more thing....after Chitra, she is my most favourite South Indian singer. But if I compare songs sung by these two, golden melodies sung by Janaki in 80's are really marvellous. if I choose 10 best Malayalam songs of my favourite, no doubt at least 5 or 6 will surely belong to Janaki
Malayalam Songs of 80's surely make me mad, particularly solo numbers of Janaki amma (she is commonly called so) ...everrgreen decade of tunes :)

To a certain extent I agree with you Sandhyaji ! I to have felt that at times regional artistes and films are given a step motherly treatment.When Priyanka Chopra was given the national award for the film fashion I was shocked because the film is reasonably good and Priyankas acting was at beat average and that year there were a couple of Bengali , south indian and Oriya films which were outstanding..but that is the way our government works

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Sandhya Rani
What singer S. Janaki feels is absolutely agreed. It mas much delayed. Receiving Padma awards is not proud for her.Padma has to be felt bad since it is not deserved.

Born to express, not to impress.
http://royalrobsideas.blogspot.in/
I think state governments need to promote and nominate persons for Padmashri
2 years back, Tamil Nadu govt put a suggestion to give Padmashri to Jayaram. (actor). actually he is a Malayalam actor who landed in movies after the middle half of 80's and have given amazing contributions to Malayalam industry in the past 25 years or so. He is among the top 5 successful actors of Malayalam at present. yet, it required Tamil Nadu to nominate him for a Padmasri, seeing his contributions to Tamil industry...though he has done only 10 or so movies in Tamil

Meera sandhu
I have an altogether different take on the issue neither supporting nor doing anything else as far as her decision goes. Creative people belong to a rare breed and their responses and reactions too vary. Some never attach any importance to these official awards and rightly so. They can do without governmental or state recognition as they are immortalized through their creations. Who cares if Bharat Ratna appears against Lataji's name. Do we remember Beethoven for any official recognition?? Or Indian masters of yester-years???
Thank you said by: RobertP, usha manohar, Sandhya Rani
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.