Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

I too feel that it is time for celebration because our armed forces are the backbone of our nation and they should be looked after well for the sacrifice they make. I am sure all political parties have the highest regard for hem and would like to see them happy and satisfied ! there is a lot more to be done to them with regard to weaponry and their gears and other needful things while on duty at border posts , which is not even comparable to Pakistani soldiers. And incidentally Pakistan has a larger defense budget than us at some 700 billion Rupees ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Yes. Our  Army veterans celebrated after calling off their hunger strike.

http://www.huffingtonpost.in/2015/09/06/orop-withdraw_n_8095072.html?1441536097&utm_hp_ref=india

The thread initiator had written that Indira Gandhi had scrapped the OROP in 1973. @Gulshan says it was because of third pay commission abolishing the then prevailing system of pension calculation that the need for OROP arose in 1973. I tend to agree with Gulshanji's views as it is the correct position. I feel the references provided by @Rambabu and @Usha are not correct for which they are in no way responsible. Web based information portals are many times not reliable as they are not authenticated. My reason for pointing it out is to set the record straight as otherwise wrong information goes through. There was no OROP in 1973 and thus it could not have been scrapped. 

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

vijay wrote:

The thread initiator had written that Indira Gandhi had scrapped the OROP in 1973. @Gulshan says it was because of third pay commission abolishing the then prevailing system of pension calculation that the need for OROP arose in 1973. I tend to agree with Gulshanji's views as it is the correct position. I feel the references provided by @Rambabu and @Usha are not correct for which they are in no way responsible. Web based information portals are many times not reliable as they are not authenticated. My reason for pointing it out is to set the record straight as otherwise wrong information goes through. There was no OROP in 1973 and thus it could not have been scrapped. 

Is there any basis for your info that there was no OROP in 1973?

Clearing the OROP logjam - India Today Group

indiatoday.intoday.in › Archive › Special Report › August 17, 2015

Pl go thru abv and you will note the term OROP was used for the first time in 1984. A very detailed wtite up on OROP.

@ vijay I have already gone through that link, you please go through the one I have given above..

But you said web based information is not reliable. When I gave you a link to confirm,  that in 1973 OROP was scrapped by Indira Gandhi, you believed it and accepted it. Now you gave another link to convince the forum. Why this confusion? Anyhow I believe the info you gave.  That much of belief i have on the esteemed members.Thank you.

My contention is based on the fact that the demand was for introduction of OROP and not for its reintroduction. A fact brought out by @Gulshan and The India Today link. The latter gives a chronological history with milestones of the evolution of the OROP demand. I have tried to logically understand the need for OROP demand and was therefore surprised the Indira Gandhi had scrapped OROP in 1973, when in fact it did not exist as such. Yes web based portals are not all reliable but India Today is surely reliable. I am not interested in entering into discussion on web based portal reliability but on a wrong submission on an important issue like OROP. @ USHA says she has gone thru the India Today link but still choses not to revise her view! One should revise one's views when reliable facts become available. I am interested in facts and not scoring debating points. At least I was humble to revise my opinion when you presented a link and did not start dissecting it.

A very good gesture.  Not only you, Everybody is interested in facts. That's why I honor any expression of the member. It includes you.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.