Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
vijay wrote:

Why is such prestige accorded to Oscars by slavish Indians is not clear.

True...personally, I feel that Rahman did not deserve the accolades he received for his music in Slumdog Millionaire, I don't understand why is there so much hype around it when clearly that music was simply noisy and contained no melody at all. On the other hand, Oscars is a prestigious award for the films made in USA, and not India and yet...

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

vijay wrote:

because its an international stage, a wider audience and a more prominent jury. Which makes the award more valuable to the artist. A filmfare in India and an oscar would probably compare with the Ranji Trophy and World Cup

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated - Confucius

Divya wrote:
vijay wrote:

because its an international stage, a wider audience and a more prominent jury. Which makes the award more valuable to the artist. A filmfare in India and an oscar would probably compare with the Ranji Trophy and World Cup

Music has no language barriers. It has universal appeal. Oscar Award winner is highly respected and revered.

Feeling proud to be an Indian, yes he really deserve that.

sdfafa

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
vijay wrote:

True...personally, I feel that Rahman did not deserve the accolades he received for his music in Slumdog Millionaire, I don't understand why is there so much hype around it when clearly that music was simply noisy and contained no melody at all. On the other hand, Oscars is a prestigious award for the films made in USA, and not India and yet...

A R Reman is talented no doubt but nowhere comparable with the true geniuses of yesteryears who had none of the sophisticated technology that is available now. Composers like S.D Burman, Anil Biswas, Naushad, Shankar Jaikishen , Salil da etc came up with innovative, unique  and extremely melodious tunes never to be forgotten and lauded by the music lovers and the new composers of today. One wonders whether any of AR Rehman's tunes wd be able to do that 50 years down the line ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
usha manohar wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
vijay wrote:

A R Reman is talented no doubt but nowhere comparable with the true geniuses of yesteryears who had none of the sophisticated technology that is available now. Composers like S.D Burman, Anil Biswas, Naushad, Shankar Jaikishen , Small da etc came up with innovative, unique  and extremely melodious tunes never to be forgotten and lauded by the music lovers and the new composers of today. One wonders whether any of AR Rehman's tunes wd be able to do that 50 years down the line ..

For me Rehman is a great artist still I cannot oppose your opinion. The composers you have named were sincerely genius and they proved  their mettle within limited means. Actually, the global connection of the present age has helped the latest artists receive all the accolades.

shampasaid

usha manohar wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
vijay wrote:

A R Reman is talented no doubt but nowhere comparable with the true geniuses of yesteryears who had none of the sophisticated technology that is available now. Composers like S.D Burman, Anil Biswas, Naushad, Shankar Jaikishen , Salil da etc came up with innovative, unique  and extremely melodious tunes never to be forgotten and lauded by the music lovers and the new composers of today. One wonders whether any of AR Rehman's tunes wd be able to do that 50 years down the line ..

While agreeing AR Rehman's greatness, I would like to put the following points for comparison. Rehman makes use of modern musical instruments like Key Boards, Synthesizers and Claviolin  for his compositions. Where as Yesteryear Maestros used old and manual musical instruments for their compositions  with the same effect. Hence, I am of the opinion that definitely yesteryear composers like Salil Choudury,Naushad, Anil Biswas are much much greater than Rahman.

I for one would not like to compare any of them. Each of them have produced some good works which people still enjoy. To the credit of AR Rehman, people even now enjoy the musics from Roja and Bombay. And as for the other music composers mentioned nobody can doubt their talents. The melodious tunes they have produced are popular even now.

jabeen wrote:

I for one would not like to compare any of them. Each of them have produced some good works which people still enjoy. To the credit of AR Rehman, people even now enjoy the musics from Roja and Bombay. And as for the other music composers mentioned nobody can doubt their talents. The melodious tunes they have produced are popular even now.

I agree that music of Roja, Bombay and a few other songs is very good and memorable even today. But what I feel is that the score he earned oscar for for The Slumdog Millionaire cannot even be called as good music. It is too crashy, heavy and the lyrics cannot be even heard. The film was hyped at the Oscars for all the wrong reasons, that is precisely around the time when slum tourism started and people paid money to come and gawp at slums in India. One wonders exactly why Rehman got an Oscar for such loud 'music' when he has some definitely better songs to his credit. That is all I feel about it. Winning an Oscar is a different thing but really deserving it, for that matter, any other award, is a different thing/

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
jabeen wrote:

I agree that music of Roja, Bombay and a few other songs is very good and memorable even today. But what I feel is that the score he earned oscar for for The Slumdog Millionaire cannot even be called as good music. It is too crashy, heavy and the lyrics cannot be even heard. The film was hyped at the Oscars for all the wrong reasons, that is precisely around the time when slum tourism started and people paid money to come and gawp at slums in India. One wonders exactly why Rehman got an Oscar for such loud 'music' when he has some definitely better songs to his credit. That is all I feel about it. Winning an Oscar is a different thing but really deserving it, for that matter, any other award, is a different thing/

I totally agree with that, while there is no doubt about Rahman's talent as probably one of the best composers at present, his composition for Slum dog millionaire was mediocre and heavily borrowed. The song Jai Ho is an exact copy of Money money money , a popular song of ABBA...it also shows the decline of Oscar standards which is no fault of theirs,since they have to select from those that have entered the race 

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.