Our Prime minister Mr Modi has been emphasising on more production and use of generic drugs. Generic drugs are medicines which are similar to the original medicine but they are of lesser cost since they are not sold under the original brand name. Considering the poverty in India it is very essential to promote generic drugs since the non-generic medicines are beyond the reach for several poor people living in India. Recently there has been quite a lot innovation in Biologics. Biologics are medicines which are made from plant or animal cells against the chemicals used in other medicines. Generic medicines for Biologics are called Biosimilars. Since the Biologics are free from chemicals they are very costly and beyond reach of common man, so now to tackle this problem, emphasis is being made on manufacturing of Biosimilars. Indian companies have around 20% percent market share for generic medicines in the world which is something we can be proud of!

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
  • Re: Generic & Biosimilars medicines in India

    by » 2 years ago


    Very true, generic medicines have been the need of the Indian Community for years. It is getting its due recognition & we can now find generic medicines shops in more places. In fact shops specifically for generic medicines are being setup. May be government is giving subsidies & incentives to set them up. I think the margin in Generic medicines will be less but it is very useful for all of us.

    However I have a doubt regarding its quality, I am of the opinion that it may be of less quality than normal branded medicines.


    Life is like a boat in a sea, there is a lot to learn, so never close your mind to your limited experiences!


  • Re: Generic & Biosimilars medicines in India

    by » 2 years ago


    epraneeth77 wrote:

    Very true, generic medicines have been the need of the Indian Community for years. It is getting its due recognition & we can now find generic medicines shops in more places. In fact shops specifically for generic medicines are being setup. May be government is giving subsidies & incentives to set them up. I think the margin in Generic medicines will be less but it is very useful for all of us.

    However I have a doubt regarding its quality, I am of the opinion that it may be of less quality than normal branded medicines.

    Your point regarding quality is correct. There is a general perception that there are greater percentage of impurities in generic medicines and the effectiveness of generic medicines is slightly lesser.


  • Re: Generic & Biosimilars medicines in India

    by » 2 years ago


    I haven't personally used them, so those who have used them can give the real picture as compared to common perceptions.


    Life is like a boat in a sea, there is a lot to learn, so never close your mind to your limited experiences!


  • Re: Generic & Biosimilars medicines in India

    by » 2 years ago


    epraneeth77 wrote:

    I haven't personally used them, so those who have used them can give the real picture as compared to common perceptions.

    Actually perception is the wrong word which I used. I meant to say that it is a common finding and a scientific fact that generic medicines have little more impurities and are little less effective than non-generic brand medicines.


  • Re: Generic & Biosimilars medicines in India

    by » 2 years ago


    epraneeth77 wrote:

    Very true, generic medicines have been the need of the Indian Community for years. It is getting its due recognition & we can now find generic medicines shops in more places. In fact shops specifically for generic medicines are being setup. May be government is giving subsidies & incentives to set them up. I think the margin in Generic medicines will be less but it is very useful for all of us.

    However I have a doubt regarding its quality, I am of the opinion that it may be of less quality than normal branded medicines.

    No I am not agree with it, that quality of generic medicines will be less. Generic medicines are effective as other medicines. I am giving here example. I am using anti diabetes tablet. Tablet which is prescribe by doctor is of Rs 11. I am using tablet of other company having same salt and it effective one. Its cost is only 5.75 Rs.


  • Re: Generic & Biosimilars medicines in India

    by » 2 years ago


    arjun sai wrote:
    epraneeth77 wrote:

    I haven't personally used them, so those who have used them can give the real picture as compared to common perceptions.

    Actually perception is the wrong word which I used. I meant to say that it is a common finding and a scientific fact that generic medicines have little more impurities and are little less effective than non-generic brand medicines.

    Purities can be improved with close supervision of government. Indeed non generic medicines are expensive because heavy sale expenses and commission of doctors. If you buy medicines of Cipla company form wholesaler, you have to pay 40 to 50 % less than printed price.


  • Re: Generic & Biosimilars medicines in India

    by » 2 years ago


    I feel that government should work on improving the standards of generic medicine. Medicine and other health care facilities need to be more affordable to majority.


    I am open to experience what life's mystery bag holds for me

    www.arunimakunwar.blogspot.in


    Thank you said by: arjun sai

  • Re: Generic & Biosimilars medicines in India

    by » 2 years ago


    anil wrote:
    epraneeth77 wrote:

    Very true, generic medicines have been the need of the Indian Community for years. It is getting its due recognition & we can now find generic medicines shops in more places. In fact shops specifically for generic medicines are being setup. May be government is giving subsidies & incentives to set them up. I think the margin in Generic medicines will be less but it is very useful for all of us.

    However I have a doubt regarding its quality, I am of the opinion that it may be of less quality than normal branded medicines.

    No I am not agree with it, that quality of generic medicines will be less. Generic medicines are effective as other medicines. I am giving here example. I am using anti diabetes tablet. Tablet which is prescribe by doctor is of Rs 11. I am using tablet of other company having same salt and it effective one. Its cost is only 5.75 Rs.

    Thank you for your personal insight!


    Life is like a boat in a sea, there is a lot to learn, so never close your mind to your limited experiences!


  • Re: Generic & Biosimilars medicines in India

    by » 2 years ago


    anil wrote:
    arjun sai wrote:
    epraneeth77 wrote:

    I haven't personally used them, so those who have used them can give the real picture as compared to common perceptions.

    Actually perception is the wrong word which I used. I meant to say that it is a common finding and a scientific fact that generic medicines have little more impurities and are little less effective than non-generic brand medicines.

    Purities can be improved with close supervision of government. Indeed non generic medicines are expensive because heavy sale expenses and commission of doctors. If you buy medicines of Cipla company form wholesaler, you have to pay 40 to 50 % less than printed price.

    My grandfather has good knowledge in medicine. Whenever doctor prescribe some medicine, he will suggest to buy the generic of that medicine which have same salt. It always helps in saving a few bucks. But still the research is in progress how to reduce the cost as well as impurities in generic medicine.


  • Re: Generic & Biosimilars medicines in India

    by » 2 years ago


    Arunima Singh wrote:

    I feel that government should work on improving the standards of generic medicine. Medicine and other health care facilities need to be more affordable to majority.

    When treatment is become expensive every day, that it is duty of government to provide us treatment at reasonable cost. Every government hospital have long line of patients. Doctor can give only 2-3 mints to check a patient. These patients can not go to private hospital because of expensive medicines and pathlogical test. Generic medicine can help in solving this problem.


You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.