I find it strange that in recent years most of the students are very disrespectful towards their teachers. I don't know the reason behind it but it is very much in practice. Presently, school students address their teachers by their first names in their absence or call them names. This is ridiculous. Many parents do not object to it which is highly unacceptable. What's your opinion and why is it happening so?

shampasaid

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

As a generation this younger generation is low on values and respect. I guess once again ( as in another thread) we need to blame parents and excessive aping of the west for these conditions. If parents teach their children to respect elders and their gurus it will come automatically. 

The values of respecting elders is fast disappearing. It is actually the attitude of parents that seeps down to the  children. Parents now shell out large sums of amounts as fees to school and think that the fact that they shell out so much money is an obligation to the teachers.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

They say that there is no better educational institution  than home and there are no better teachers than parents. Hence if the parents live up to the expectations of this principle. children learn the life's values. Else vagabonds and rebels.

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

The values of respecting elders is fast disappearing. It is actually the attitude of parents that seeps down to the  children. Parents now shell out large sums of amounts as fees to school and think that the fact that they shell out so much money is an obligation to the teachers.

I agree that they shell out a packet demanding services from the school for that is fine. But disrespect of teachers should not arise from that. 

Recently my friend a teacher told me that her colleague was threatened by a student that he would take her to the press for scolding him.  Does the Media have a role to play in this sorry state of affairs?

Disrespect to elders and teachers is some thing that crops out of wrong parenting.

Sofs wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

I agree that they shell out a packet demanding services from the school for that is fine. But disrespect of teachers should not arise from that. 

Recently my friend a teacher told me that her colleague was threatened by a student that he would take her to the press for scolding him.  Does the Media have a role to play in this sorry state of affairs?

Kids are smart these days. The ban on corporal punishment is very well known to them. Of course in genuine cases, it is more than a necessity and I strongly condemn beating up kids.. but these days even if there's a small incident of scolding..they threaten of 'dire consequences' .The media will listen and believe false stories of violence against students even before investigations have started.Parents are definitely responsible for this kind of disrespect and behavior.. the fact that teachers want the best for all children is advocated by parents these days..Most of the time they visit schools is with some complaint or the other which in most cases is a false one.

Though not all, there are some incidents of teacher beating a kid, which proved to be genuine by The child Rights activists.

My son is in class eighth and I have come to know from him how his classmates call their teachers names. Even I have heard parents talking about the teachers disrespectfully and addressed them in a way as if they were friends. I never dream to do so. My husband and I always address the teachers as so and so Madam and so on. Naturally, my son can never dare to take his teacher's name disrespectfully.

shampasaid

Shampa Sadhya wrote:

My son is in class eighth and I have come to know from him how his classmates call their teachers names. Even I have heard parents talking about the teachers disrespectfully and addressed them in a way as if they were friends. I never dream to do so. My husband and I always address the teachers as so and so Madam and so on. Naturally, my son can never dare to take his teacher's name disrespectfully.

A heartening info from an ideal parent.

As you sow, so you reap. Children are like a sapling. Parents are gardeners . The sapling grows as the gardener shapes. Else it grows wildly.

It happened in your child's case.

Shampa, I agree with you fully on that score. I personally don't like my children to even call their teachers by names. My son used to address his principal as BJ .. I had to put my foot down and say that is Mr. BJ for you. ( using initials for anonymity)  He never said that again. 

It common for children to call teachers by names and nick names as they reach adolescence. Its their statement of being grown up. Firm correction by parents puts them on the right track.

This boils down to the fact that many parents today aren't really concerned with respecting teachers or elders per say. 

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.