Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

Calvin and his stuffed tiger Hobbes, who becomes alive when they are both alone, are world's greatest philosophers in my opinion. He has rightly expressed the irony of life that we adults go through, we do not appreciate the things that are really good for us, such as nature and natural beauty. And the effects are there for us all to see! That is why even though I live in a city that even though cosmopolitan, is blessed with hilly ranges surrounding it. So I make it a point to take my son as often as I can to the hills close by and teach him how to appreciate simple things in nature.

Absolutely Kalyani ! I recollect an incident - I had gone to Kodaikanal for a week last month and at the resort we were staying we happened to meet a family who had come from Mumbai. The husband was all for going for a walk round the lake during the morning and climbing a small hill behind the resort etc etc because they never get to do these things in Mumbai since they were busy through the week and weekends too...The wife and their teenager daughter were both  bored by the second day and wanted to go out and shop. She kept telling , what can we do here for 4 days other than keep looking at the lake and the mountains and the shops have nothing at all..So unless we teach youngsters and probably ourselves too about Nature , we will be lost in a material world that will swallow us ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
usha manohar wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

Calvin and his stuffed tiger Hobbes, who becomes alive when they are both alone, are world's greatest philosophers in my opinion. He has rightly expressed the irony of life that we adults go through, we do not appreciate the things that are really good for us, such as nature and natural beauty. And the effects are there for us all to see! That is why even though I live in a city that even though cosmopolitan, is blessed with hilly ranges surrounding it. So I make it a point to take my son as often as I can to the hills close by and teach him how to appreciate simple things in nature.

Absolutely Kalyani ! I recollect an incident - I had gone to Kodaikanal for a week last month and at the resort we were staying we happened to meet a family who had come from Mumbai. The husband was all for going for a walk round the lake during the morning and climbing a small hill behind the resort etc etc because they never get to do these things in Mumbai since they were busy through the week and weekends too...The wife and their teenager daughter were both  bored by the second day and wanted to go out and shop. She kept telling , what can we do here for 4 days other than keep looking at the lake and the mountains and the shops have nothing at all..So unless we teach youngsters and probably ourselves too about Nature , we will be lost in a material world that will swallow us ..

I know the type Usha. I know some like that, mothers who don't let their children play in mud at all and wring their noses in distaste at ladies who allow their children to play in mud and rain and get dirty in the soils. Nature actually has a lot to offer us but it depends on us whether we want to take it or not. I think it is our moral and fundamental duty to introduce our kids to the joys of nature and teach them to explore and appreciate it. But then, what can one do, and when they realise the follies of their thoughts, it will be too late.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

I know the type Usha. I know some like that, mothers who don't let their children play in mud at all and wring their noses in distaste at ladies who allow their children to play in mud and rain and get dirty in the soils. Nature actually has a lot to offer us but it depends on us whether we want to take it or not. I think it is our moral and fundamental duty to introduce our kids to the joys of nature and teach them to explore and appreciate it. But then, what can one do, and when they realise the follies of their thoughts, it will be too late.

Such people do not realise that they are missing out on the most heavenly experiences of life ...I see many houses here with windows shut all the time instead of letting in fresh air, sunlight and the natural beauty of their surroundings..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Examples of such foolish deeds are seen everywhere in India including rich with well built Mansions. They are under the impression that they are entitled for privacy.

Our problems of not conserving nature and wild life is because of a growing population and very shortly we will overtake China. There is thus pressure on land.The Lion was once available all over India and now is confined to a small puny reserve in Gujarat. So hit the nail on the head. Control population, but easier said than done with one community not believing in birth control

Of course population growth is the main reason that stalls the development and makes our plans topsy -  turvy.

rambabu wrote:

Of course population growth is the main reason that stalls the development and makes our plans topsy -  turvy.

population control, living space, ecology, animal habitat  and nature are all linked together

MG Singh wrote:
rambabu wrote:

population control, living space, ecology, animal habitat  and nature are all linked together

True. One evil leads to another. Population growth leads to more mouths to feed and less food to feed.

It becomes the responsibility of each individual to maintain the eco balance and make sure that we dont destroy plant and animal life mindlessly for our own selfish wants. Here in my city we have been seeing soil erosion during monsoons on the coastline since a long time which to a certain extent is a natural process. But when people start building houses and buildings close to the sea front, the soil underneath gets disturbed and becomes loose resulting in the collapse of the entire side rather than a gradual erosion...Although these buildings are illegal, they claim compensation for their loss which runs in crores ...I wish the concerned authorities make sure that all the illegal dwellings are cleared and the coast line left natural..

Coastal regions are vulnerable for erosion. I have seen During Hudhud, how my otherwise beautiful Vizag has been reduced to rambles. But, we did not learn the lessons. After the cyclone people vowed to see such things would nit repeat. But that was a momentary outburst. Again the same feverish building activity resumed in all it's glory.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.