Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Lot of information on blood groups.. I am universal donor(O+) but never got chance to donate... :P :)

Just wanted to add that even though people with O blood group are called universal donor, The real Universal donor are people with O- blood groups for they can donate to person of any blood groups while the people with O+ blood groups can donate only to people with O+, AB+, A+ and B+ groups.

Can O- people donate blood to positive groups? :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

I learnt in school that......it does not harm for the first time when positive group people is given negative blood group and vice versa . But the real problem occurs when second time blood is donated.
i.e. When blood is donated, they produce corresponding antibodies that time will surely harm the second time blood is donated.
I think positive groups produce negative antibodies and negative groups produce positive antibodies which will react second time, when any of the blood group is donated...... i.e. When both type of antibodies are present in our body, it will fight against the antibodies next time. Sheetal, am I right? :dry: Am quoting it from my memory. Just add missing factors please

Yes sandhya you are right somewhat.. O-ve can donate blood to all the blood groups but can receive blood only from O-ve donor and thats y people with O -ve blood group are called as universal donor. Since O blood group do not have antibodies and antigens against A or B . Hence they can donate blood to any blood groups. I hope your doubt is clear now. By the way ur memory is good...U still remember correct things.

Thank you :) :) :)
I studied it in the 8th standard and Biology was my favourite subject too :woohoo:

So, O-ve group can donate blood to all groups irrespective of +ve or -ve....(also any number of times????). Isn't it?

Meera sandhu
:ohmy: I think complete O group( +ve and-ve) are universal donors..
Lot of information on blood groups.. I am universal donor(O+) but never got chance to donate... :P :)

Just wanted to add that even though people with O blood group are called universal donor, The real Universal donor are people with O- blood groups for they can donate to person of any blood groups while the people with O+ blood groups can donate only to people with O+, AB+, A+ and B+ groups.

I learnt in school that......it does not harm for the first time when positive group people is given negative blood group and vice versa . But the real problem occurs when second time blood is donated.
i.e. When blood is donated, they produce corresponding antibodies that time will surely harm the second time blood is donated.
I think positive groups produce negative antibodies and negative groups produce positive antibodies which will react second time, when any of the blood group is donated...... i.e. When both type of antibodies are present in our body, it will fight against the antibodies next time. Sheetal, am I right? :dry: Am quoting it from my memory. Just add missing factors please

Yes sandhya you are right somewhat.. O-ve can donate blood to all the blood groups but can receive blood only from O-ve donor and thats y people with O -ve blood group are called as universal donor. Since O blood group do not have antibodies and antigens against A or B . Hence they can donate blood to any blood groups. I hope your doubt is clear now. By the way ur memory is good...U still remember correct things.

Sheetal could you also please explain about what sandhya had said that there is no problem when negative blood group is donate to the positive blood group people for the first time and vice versa and that the problem arise when it is donated for the second time. Actually, I read somewhere that problems can arise from the first time itself.

Yes we cannot donate the -ve blood group to positive not even first time also.
Only Rh-ve can donate blood to Rh +ve because Rh-ve do not have antigens in their plasma. But Rh+ve cannot donate blood to Rh-ve as Rh+ve would have specific antigens in their blood plasma.

Sheetal could you also please explain about what sandhya had said that there is no problem when negative blood group is donate to the positive blood group people for the first time and vice versa and that the problem arise when it is donated for the second time. Actually, I read somewhere that problems can arise from the first time itself.

Only Rh-ve can donate blood to Rh +ve because Rh-ve do not have antigens in their plasma. But Rh+ve cannot donate blood to Rh-ve as Rh+ve would have specific antigens in their blood plasma.

I want to know in the whole how many blood groups are there? I heard about some Bombay groups... :blink: does such group exist? :S
Sandhya does not fear for donating blood it increases many problem.we must regular change it .It is good for our health too.
Sandhya does not fear for donating blood it increases many problem.we must regular change it .It is good for our health too.

I think Ronark fears more than me :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Meera sandhu

I want to know in the whole how many blood groups are there? I heard about some Bombay groups... :blink: does such group exist? :S

Yes there is a very rare blood group called as Bombay Blood group as it was first discovered in Bombay. In this blood group there is a absence of A, B and H antigens, hence this blood group has antibodies against A, B and H. Atigen H ia one of the component of A and B antigens. Bombay blood group people are actually universal donor but they can receive blood only from another bombay blood group person..Usually Bombay antigens are included in group O.
Thank you said by: Rajani K

Yes there is a very rare blood group called as Bombay Blood group as it was first discovered in Bombay. In this blood group there is a absence of A, B and H antigens, hence this blood group has antibodies against A, B and H. Atigen H ia one of the component of A and B antigens. Bombay blood group people are actually universal donor but they can receive blood only from another bombay blood group person..Usually Bombay antigens are included in group O.

If so, they must be the rarest group than O-ve. Isn't it?

Meera sandhu

Only Rh-ve can donate blood to Rh +ve because Rh-ve do not have antigens in their plasma.
But Rh+ve cannot donate blood to Rh-ve as Rh+ve would have specific antigens in their blood plasma.

Are blood group with Rh-ve and negative blood group different things? I thought that they were same. So, I find your sentences contradictory. could you please explain the differences?

Only Rh-ve can donate blood to Rh +ve because Rh-ve do not have antigens in their plasma.
But Rh+ve cannot donate blood to Rh-ve as Rh+ve would have specific antigens in their blood plasma.

Are blood group with Rh-ve and negative blood group different things? I thought that they were same. So, I find your sentences contradictory. could you please explain the differences?

Rh -ve means negative blood group and Rh+ve means positive bld group . they are the same.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.