Sycophant meaning - A servile self-seeker who attempts to win favor by flattering influential people( Wikipedia)

When we look around we find most people currying favors with someone or the other for their own benefit. In fact, I would go so far as to say that it has become a way of life with us Indians and probably elsewhere in the world as well !
Of course Politicians are experts at that because for them the gains and losses are much more compared to us less mortals...
Can anyone of us say that we have never used this method to get our work done?
It may have been be direct ,subtle or indirect method of flattery , but I feel that we all would have done it at some stage of our life or the other ...please add your views !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
However painful the fact may be,it has to be accepted that sycophantic trait does manifest itself in in our characters. If a person like Dr. Manmohan Singh could not free himself from this, leave alone average mortals! :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:
However painful the fact may be,it has to be accepted that sycophantic trait does manifest itself in in our characters. If a person like Dr. Manmohan Singh could not free himself from this, leave alone average mortals! :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

Thats true ! all said and done, Manmohan Singh was a respected Bureaucrat who was happy to function at that level, but the moment he entered active politics he lost his stature and standing ...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

The ambitious and result oriented will do anything to get results and succeed. This includes sycophancy also. Most would indulge in this practice more or less. There may be some exceptions, who are idealist. Generally, they are failure in life.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Ordinary folks look upon this as passports to success for obvious reasons. But what is very interesting is the fact that persons being fawned upon like it more to their disadvantage or even destruction.
The ambitious and result oriented will do anything to get results and succeed. This includes sycophancy also. Most would indulge in this practice more or less. There may be some exceptions, who are idealist. Generally, they are failure in life.

I suppose so, but again that is relative isn't it ? how do we measure failure and success ? Taking Manmohan Singh's example - a PM of one of the largest democracies ,but personally losing out on all the adulation and respect that he had before ...

Ordinary folks look upon this as passports to success for obvious reasons. But what is very interesting is the fact that persons being fawned upon like it more to their disadvantage or even destruction.

Sycophancy is a skill and art. If this is too open, very purpose gets defeated. a successful sycophant will some times even mildly criticize and disagree but will soon skillfully admit that he is wrong.

Sycophancy is a skill and art. If this is too open, very purpose gets defeated. a successful sycophant will some times even mildly criticize and disagree but will soon skillfully admit that he is wrong.

That is most evident in the case of politicians, we see many of the Tamilnadu assembly MPs and MLAs falling at Jayalalitha's feet and she seems to like it going by her expressions !! ;) I wonder how a person can stoop to that level, some of them are older than her and they still do it ...
I agree that to be a successful sycophant, you also have to have some basic skills , so that your real intention is not shown...

That is most evident in the case of politicians, we see many of the Tamilnadu assembly MPs and MLAs falling at Jayalalitha's feet and she seems to like it going by her expressions !! ;) I wonder how a person can stoop to that level, some of them are older than her and they still do it ...
I agree that to be a successful sycophant, you also have to have some basic skills , so that your real intention is not shown...

The bureaucrats are expert in the art. They will praise their boss more among others than boss or the person whom they actually target. They know what they say even to others will come to knowledge of concerned person. The sycophants always pose as well wisher. They please not only boss but also his family.

Yes, it's an art. He or she casts a spell with a smooth tongue like a spider catches its prey with its gossamer!!
"Whenever you commend, add your reasons for doing so; it is this which distinguishes the approbation of a man of sense from the flattery of sycophants and admiration of fools."
-Sir Richard Steele

This is what the most sycophants do, and the one they are honeying up to never are suspicious of such motives of their sycophants but are very happy in that!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.