The topic is locked.
As I had said yesterday, here my thoughts on the forum
1. The members should be allowed to express their feelings for every response they get.
2. The moderators should ask the thread-starter to lock the thread once and for all.
3. If there are 5 responses to a thread, and one wants to respond to the 3rd post, the response should come under the 3rd post only and not at the end.
There could crop up some thoughts later in my mind. For now, that's all. Please contribute.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
There is free expression in forums. Nobody is prevented from replying to any post or giving his own views. Only we need to maintain decorum, courtesy and follow the rules. If you want to reply to a particular post, there is no need that your reply should be under that post in sequence. You can use 'quote' icon below the post so that it will be clear that your response is to that post. Once you have commenced a thread, this is property of the site and only site administration or moderators can lock the thread.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Thank you said by: Sandhya Rani, RobertP
let me add one more thing...
Now our posts are queued according to the order we post. So recently responded threads are shown up in that order. When we login, it's quite easy to find most recent responses, flagged as 'new'. But if response to a particular post is shown just below that particular post, we lose the order of responses. As Gulshanji told, 'quote' is the best option. By this way we are able to see that particular post too, that is most recently quoted.
One more thing.....
we can quote 2 or 3 times, as situation demands. If you want to respond more replies, you can write @Sandhya, @Ram etc under a particular post/quote of yours and give your opinion. It's done to avoid misuse of forum for gaining points. If not just wait for a while and respond. (In most cases it won't be needed as you can add your full views in 2 or 3 posts)

Meera sandhu
Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani
There is free expression in forums. Nobody is prevented from replying to any post or giving his own views. Only we need to maintain decorum, courtesy and follow the rules. If you want to reply to a particular post, there is no need that your reply should be under that post in sequence. You can use 'quote' icon below the post so that it will be clear that your response is to that post. Once you have commenced a thread, this is property of the site and only site administration or moderators can lock the thread.

It is the sequence that I am talking about actually. The sequence makes it easier to group the posts under two people 'talking'. So that makes sense and easier to find too.
Now our posts are queued according to the order we post. So recently responded threads are shown up in that order. When we login, it's quite easy to find most recent responses, flagged as 'new'. But if response to a particular post is shown just below that particular post, we lose the order of responses. As Gulshanji told, 'quote' is the best option. By this way we are able to see that particular post too, that is most recently quoted.
One more thing.....
we can quote 2 or 3 times, as situation demands. If you want to respond more replies, you can write @Sandhya, @Ram etc under a particular post/quote of yours and give your opinion. It's done to avoid misuse of forum for gaining points. If not just wait for a while and respond. (In most cases it won't be needed as you can add your full views in 2 or 3 posts)

Using "@" is okay. But what I am talking about is the ability to respond back to certain posts in the order which they appear. I mean a response to the second post should be seen under that post only and not at the end. So, if I have to respond to 3 people, my 3 posts appear one after the other at the end. It doesn't look good. And I am not inclined towards using that "@" option. It's forum after all, let people talk as they like.
One more thing.....

Using "@" is okay. But what I am talking about is the ability to respond back to certain posts in the order which they appear. I mean a response to the second post should be seen under that post only and not at the end. So, if I have to respond to 3 people, my 3 posts appear one after the other at the end. It doesn't look good. And I am not inclined towards using that "@" option. It's forum after all, let people talk as they like.

In present condition, it looks difficult to implement. Also, I don't think it will be user friendly as the present system. :whistle: :whistle: . The system may become complex as a single active thread can get more than 100 responses. Nested loop will surely become complex :unsure:

Meera sandhu
One more thing.....

In present condition, it looks difficult to implement. Also, I don't think it will be user friendly as the present system. :whistle: :whistle: . The system may become complex as a single active thread can get more than 100 responses. Nested loop will surely become complex :unsure:

I am not used to programming words. But I guess nested loop means the way I described. However, I am a member of another exclusive forum site where they use the way I explained. It is very easy to use and see it. I have become used to it and probably that's why I feel it easy. But still overall, it is indeed easy.
if admin feels it nice, he will definitely think over it :P

Meera sandhu
1. The members should be allowed to express their feelings for every response they get.
2. The moderators should ask the thread-starter to lock the thread once and for all.
3. If there are 5 responses to a thread, and one wants to respond to the 3rd post, the response should come under the 3rd post only and not at the end.
There could crop up some thoughts later in my mind. For now, that's all. Please contribute.

In what conditions your suggestion no 2 applies?
@Abhi, if you are thread initiator you can ask moderators through "Report" button to lock the thread quoting reasons. It's applicable to even those threads not started by us. If the power is given to we normal members, it may be misused. That's why.
I think such options are available in Q&A category

Meera sandhu

In what conditions your suggestion no 2 applies?

There could be any conditions which I cannot instantly tell now. That was just a thought that came to my mind and so I expressed it. Like there are amendments to the constitution and new rules are formed, here too the same can be done, though it would be too dumb to compare the constitution and a forum :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.