Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
even in villages people don't speak in pure Hindi. They mix English, Urdu and their regional language words to communicate. Today using English words has become a status symbol. If you use more English words, you look to be modern while if someone tries to speak in Hindi people thinks him as backward. A simple example " Today I reached office at right time", usually people speak in Hindi as 'आज में ऑफीस टाइम पर पहुंच गया था". but hardly someone says "आज मॅ कार्यालय सही समय पर पहुंच गया था.".

:laugh: Personally, I would love to hold a conversation is pure Hindi as the example you have cited. But I also know if we say something like this on a regular basis..more than half of the people would ask what does a 'karyalay' mean? This will mar the idea of using pure Hindi. And you are correct in saying that if we start a conversation in Hindi, people quickly jump to conclusion that we are not 'modern'.

Recently, a friend hired a Rikshaw to go to university. He asked the Rikshaw puller- "Mujhe vishwa vidyalaya jaana hai." Rikshaw walla did not understand. So he said- Mujhe university jaana hai'. Now Rikshaw puller understood and said- Okay. just say in Hindi like this. Thus for ordinary man, 'university' is Hindi word, whereas 'vishwavidalaya' is some foreign word not understood.

Language is for communication and we must not hesitate to use English or ay other words that are understood easily.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

it should be shame for India that their own language is treated as foreign language in their own country, and a foreign language is given priority and easily understood. we should proud of our own language and culture instead of ignoring it.

http://www.comparenshop.in

We all know English is worldwide known language and is growing its roots. In India some people think that there is a competition between their own language Hindi and English, and due to increasing value of English the value of Hindi is going down day by day. The Hindi lovers want that their language should be used everywhere in India, but we cannot ignore the importance of English. I think both Hindi and English are necessary languages in India.

Why are you overlooking languages like Tamil , Telugu , Malayalam and Kannada spoken by more than 40% of population ? I am sure Bengalis, Marathis ,Oriya and others would feel the same ...so, let us give importance to all Indian languages and stick to English for official communication since it is much more practical to do so.

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani
In the long run it is quite possible that there will be two main languages Hindi and English in India, Regional languages will lose out as they will have considerably less commercial potential. Already many dialects have disappeared from the country and many are under threat.
it should be shame for India that their own language is treated as foreign language in their own country, and a foreign language is given priority and easily understood. we should proud of our own language and culture instead of ignoring it.

You need be pragmatic and not be beligerant about so called own lnguage and culture. In fact, English has enriched itself by adopting words from different languages. The words like Pucca, safari. Purdah have been borrowed from other languages. Then what is wrong if Hindi adopts foreign words that are popular. The terms like Gas, cylinder, University etc are well understood and these must be incorporated in Hindi.

Incidentally, I feel that English technical terms should be accepted in all Indian languages for the sake of simplicity and uniformity. Why do you wish to use 'sakshya' for evidence. Why in chemistry you want to translate 'latent heat' as Gupta Ushma.

You need be pragmatic and not be beligerant about so called own lnguage and culture. In fact, English has enriched itself by adopting words from different languages. The words like Pucca, safari. Purdah have been borrowed from other languages. Then what is wrong if Hindi adopts foreign words that are popular. The terms like Gas, cylinder, University etc are well understood and these must be incorporated in Hindi.

Incidentally, I feel that English technical terms should be accepted in all Indian languages for the sake of simplicity and uniformity. Why do you wish to use 'sakshya' for evidence. Why in chemistry you want to translate 'latent heat' as Gupta Ushma.

Or 'Lohpatgamini' for -----
Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani
even in villages people don't speak in pure Hindi. They mix English, Urdu and their regional language words to communicate. Today using English words has become a status symbol. If you use more English words, you look to be modern while if someone tries to speak in Hindi people thinks him as backward. A simple example " Today I reached office at right time", usually people speak in Hindi as 'आज में ऑफीस टाइम पर पहुंच गया था". but hardly someone says "आज मॅ कार्यालय सही समय पर पहुंच गया था.".

:laugh: Personally, I would love to hold a conversation is pure Hindi as the example you have cited. But I also know if we say something like this on a regular basis..more than half of the people would ask what does a 'karyalay' mean? This will mar the idea of using pure Hindi. And you are correct in saying that if we start a conversation in Hindi, people quickly jump to conclusion that we are not 'modern'.

Recently, a friend hired a Rikshaw to go to university. He asked the Rikshaw puller- "Mujhe vishwa vidyalaya jaana hai." Rikshaw walla did not understand. So he said- Mujhe university jaana hai'. Now Rikshaw puller understood and said- Okay. just say in Hindi like this. Thus for ordinary man, 'university' is Hindi word, whereas 'vishwavidalaya' is some foreign word not understood.

Language is for communication and we must not hesitate to use English or ay other words that are understood easily.

The example that you have given here has summarized the point that I was trying to drive home. It is not the ignorance of the rickshaw puller..it is showing the lack of vocabulary and knowledge of the common people, of student who perpetually use the word university instead of the word vishwa vidyalaya.

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

I think both Hindi and English usage of terms used here will enhance our Hindi knowledge and also will not add to any confusion if an alternative in English is provided. If possible schools and colleges and universities should take it up.

I think both Hindi and English usage of terms used here will enhance our Hindi knowledge and also will not add to any confusion if an alternative in English is provided. If possible schools and colleges and universities should take it up.

All words that are popularly used by Hindi speaking people should be treated as Hindi words. Thus University, school, park, musuem, cinema, station are Hindi words. The technical terms as used in English should be adoptd in all Indian languages. This will ensure uniformity and same technical term will be be used and understood throughout India.

All words that are popularly used by Hindi speaking people should be treated as Hindi words. Thus University, school, park, musuem, cinema, station are Hindi words. The technical terms as used in English should be adoptd in all Indian languages. This will ensure uniformity and same technical term will be be used and understood throughout India.

But in reality all these words are in fact English..since people have forgotten the Hindi words...hence nobody uses them..and almost all these words you have mentioned here have a Hindi word. You can say Hindi words should be limited to formal setting such as schools and colleges.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.