Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
I think even English is fast spreading, a maid who doesn't know how to tell her cell phone number knows when to say sorry, bye, and thank you.- these things make you think may be their children have taught it to them or may be unawares they have picked it up from us which is good thing. Where as most people understand Hindi though they may not be fluent in speaking Hindi.

Actually English has walked into Hindi. What we speak is a mix of Hindi, English and Urdu. Everyone including the maid actually speak in Hinglish. .

True, in fact when using two or three languages at the same time this has a term called code-mixing(when two languages are mixed) and code-switching (when we switch one language and speak the other with ease), I had written a post on it in my personal blog. We do it sometimes on purpose and at times unintentionally. It is bound to happen in a multi-lingual country like ours.

Code mixing is prevalent and its welcome. Even in advertising code mixing is widely used.
Yeh Dil manage more.
Jab we met are some examples. And they have become very popular.
I think even English is fast spreading, a maid who doesn't know how to tell her cell phone number knows when to say sorry, bye, and thank you.- these things make you think may be their children have taught it to them or may be unawares they have picked it up from us which is good thing. Where as most people understand Hindi though they may not be fluent in speaking Hindi.

Actually English has walked into Hindi. What we speak is a mix of Hindi, English and Urdu. Everyone including the maid actually speak in Hinglish. .

True, in fact when using two or three languages at the same time this has a term called code-mixing(when two languages are mixed) and code-switching (when we switch one language and speak the other with ease), I had written a post on it in my personal blog. We do it sometimes on purpose and at times unintentionally. It is bound to happen in a multi-lingual country like ours.

Code mixing is prevalent and its welcome. Even in advertising code mixing is widely used.
Yeh Dil manage more.

Code-mixing is welcome but better be limited to ad world to make it catchy and popular but not okay if over-used in day to day usage.

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

Yeh Dil manage more.

Code-mixing is welcome but better be limited to ad world to make it catchy and popular but not okay if over-used in day to day usage.

In conversational English also it's used . Like " Where had you been Yaar" ? Is an oft heard conversation everywhere.

Yeh Dil manage more.

In conversational English also it's used . Like " Where had you been Yaar" ? Is an oft heard conversation everywhere.

I know..we are all so used to it that we hardly see anything wrong in this kind of usage..isn't it? In an informal setting it is still okay...but problem arises when we overuse it.

Yeh Dil manage more.

I know..we are all so used to it that we hardly see anything wrong in this kind of usage..isn't it? In an informal setting it is still okay...but problem arises when we overuse it.

Yes. As you said overuse is not good. But human nature is,after hearing a wrong consistently for some period, without our knowledge it sounds Right. Isn't it?

Yeh Dil manage more.

Yes. As you said overuse is not good. But human nature is,after hearing a wrong consistently for some period, without our knowledge it sounds Right. Isn't it?

If you observe carefully it will be noticed that while speaking Hindi there is liberal use of English words and many times we are at a loss to translate English word to Hindi. Almost all vegetables are now known by their english names in the vegetable market. Hindi movies are increasingly coming with English titles. It is a mixture of a commercial and native language and many call it Hinglish.

Yeh Dil manage more.

If you observe carefully it will be noticed that while speaking Hindi there is liberal use of English words and many times we are at a loss to translate English word to Hindi. Almost all vegetables are now known by their english names in the vegetable market. Hindi movies are increasingly coming with English titles. It is a mixture of a commercial and native language and many call it Hinglish.

Chalega. I enjoy such mixed language conversation. Message is driven home. That's what I see.

Yeh Dil manage more.

Yes..and I have a solid example of an incorrect usage which overtime has been accepted as correct. The word is 'anyways' which is not correctly used. It is anyway..but people all over use it anyways all the time.

Yeh Dil manage more.

Yes..and I have a solid example of an incorrect usage which overtime has been accepted as correct. The word is 'anyways' which is not correctly used. It is anyway..but people all over use it anyways all the time.

There are many such words popularised by the netizens which ultimately join the mainstream

Yeh Dil manage more.

There are many such words popularised by the netizens which ultimately join the mainstream

Didn't know a portmanteau of internet and citizen netizens is in use. Thanks for using it here.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.