Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
to walk with time we should learn all languages which are used in our day to day life. we should focus in learning our regional language to communicate with locals, Hindi to communicate in India and English to communicate with foreigners.

Well communicating in English is not just limited to foreigners...we do communicate in English with fellow Indian. However, yes even i try to learn ..the language in which ever place i go...I had to learn Bengali (my mother tongue), English,Hindi, and Oriya in school, picked up a little bit of Telugu..while in Hyderabad..and now I understand Marathi. Learning language is fun and also gives you an opportunity to communicate with the local people better.

Learning more languages is a plus point. It not only makes the communication easy in new places, but builds relationships. Just say, "Soukyama Thambi" in Tamilnadu. And see how the person goes out of the way and renders all the help you need.

Absolutely ! I too feel that it is good have at least working knowledge of as many languages as you can. I am able to speak fluently English, Hindi,Kannada, Tulu, Tamil and a little Telugu , German and Malyalam as well and it really has helped when I travel and visit other places ...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

to walk with time we should learn all languages which are used in our day to day life. we should focus in learning our regional language to communicate with locals, Hindi to communicate in India and English to communicate with foreigners.

Well communicating in English is not just limited to foreigners...we do communicate in English with fellow Indian. However, yes even i try to learn ..the language in which ever place i go...I had to learn Bengali (my mother tongue), English,Hindi, and Oriya in school, picked up a little bit of Telugu..while in Hyderabad..and now I understand Marathi. Learning language is fun and also gives you an opportunity to communicate with the local people better.

Learning more languages is a plus point. It not only makes the communication easy in new places, but builds relationships. Just say, "Soukyama Thambi" in Tamilnadu. And see how the person goes out of the way and renders all the help you need.

Absolutely ! I too feel that it is good have at least working knowledge of as many languages as you can. I am able to speak fluently English, Hindi,Kannada, Tulu, Tamil and a little Telugu , German and Malyalam as well and it really has helped when I travel and visit other places ...

I agree that knowledge of many languages is beneficial but this is not always feasible. Everyone is not capable of learning many languages. Mostly, knowlege of Hindi and English suffices. It is natural that everyone is conversant with the language of his own region. I am in Brij region. In agra- Mathura area, Brij Bhasha- a variant of Hindi is spoken. I can follow this when others speak but myself cannot speak in Brij Bhasha. Famous poet Soordas wrote in this language.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Wow..Usha it is amazing that you know so many languages...also when one knows more than one or two languages/dialects it becomes so easy to interact with people. I always wanted to and still keen on learning Spanish, which is closest to English..but it didn't quite happen.

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

Thank you said by: usha manohar

Wow..Usha it is amazing that you know so many languages...also when one knows more than one or two languages/dialects it becomes so easy to interact with people. I always wanted to and still keen on learning Spanish, which is closest to English..but it didn't quite happen.

It reminds me of an old incident when I was employed in a steel Major constructed with the collaboration Of Russians. To communicate with them i learned Russian throug "Teach yourself series ". And my Russian friends used to polish my accent and pronunciation. And over a period i could raise my standard of Russian knowledge.
Language learning will never go waste.

It reminds me of an old incident when I was employed in a steel Major constructed with the collaboration Of Russians. To communicate with them i learned Russian throug "Teach yourself series ". And my Russian friends used to polish my accent and pronunciation. And over a period i could raise my standard of Russian knowledge.

True to the core...learning a language always comes in handy and useful..but only hurdle is to continue using a language over time or else we lose touch and may even forget esp true in case of foreign languages such as German, Russian and so on.

True to the core...learning a language always comes in handy and useful..but only hurdle is to continue using a language over time or else we lose touch and may even forget esp true in case of foreign languages such as German, Russian and so on.

That is why you should concentrate only on the language you need to communicate in the region you live apart from Hindi and english that are more widely used. Instead of learning so many languages it is better to learn some skill or topic that is useful and interesting.

That is why you should concentrate only on the language you need to communicate in the region you live apart from Hindi and english that are more widely used. Instead of learning so many languages it is better to learn some skill or topic that is useful and interesting.

I beg to differ with you Sir. Learning is a continuous process and learning anything new, even a new language has been proved quite healthy for our brains.

I beg to differ with you Sir. Learning is a continuous process and learning anything new, even a new language has been proved quite healthy for our brains.

In my case learning new languages other than my mother tongue, Hindi and English, never proved futile. Rather they widened my knowledge base.

Language is only a medium of expression and not more than that. so it suffices to know English, Hindi and local language. For example, if you live in Andhra, English, Hindi and Telugu will suffice. Somebody keen to learn many languages can do so but others can do well with fewer. Persoally I know only English and Hindi and this is okay with me. I don't need to learn any other language for communication at Agra.

Language is not only medium of communication, it creates employment opportunities also. Translators are in high demand.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.