Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Bitter gourd is also known as Bitter Melon. It's leaves can stop the growth of malaria bacteria. Boil The leaves and drink it like tea. By adding a bit of salt bitterness can be reduced.
I too love eating bitter gourd especially the stuffed ones and deep frying with chives and green chillies. I have seen many people soaking the cut bitter gourd in salt water for some minutes and washing them thoroughly before frying them just to lessen its bitterness. But I think such practices would remove most of its nutrients. I prefer to have it with its bitterness
I too love eating bitter gourd especially the stuffed ones and deep frying with chives and green chillies. I have seen many people soaking the cut bitter gourd in salt water for some minutes and washing them thoroughly before frying them just to lessen its bitterness. But I think such practices would remove most of its nutrients. I prefer to have it with its bitterness

Absolutely ! I too would never want to remove any of its bitterness since it has its own nutrients....We have a saying in our language which translated 'If you have bitter gourd curry food becomes that much more tastier'..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Absolutely ! I too would never want to remove any of its bitterness since it has its own nutrients....We have a saying in our language which translated 'If you have bitter gourd curry food becomes that much more tastier'..

A very wise saying indeed!! The bitterness of the gourd surely improves the taste of other meals
Thank you said by: usha manohar

Nutrionists say by washing bitter gourd with salt water will not reduce its nutritional value.
Bitter gourd or Hagal kai in Kannada is very popular but not liked by many because of the bitter taste.However, it is packed with nutrients and is recommended by Ayurvedic doctors for Diabetics since it helps control the sugar levells. There are innumerable dishes and pickles made with this Hagalkai which is one of my favorite vegetables...

{CJATTACHMENT ["id": 10981]}

Yes, What ever it said very good for controlling sugar level. In Bihar it is known as Kerala and used by various Diabetes patients.
Bitter gourd or Hagal kai in Kannada is very popular but not liked by many because of the bitter taste.However, it is packed with nutrients and is recommended by Ayurvedic doctors for Diabetics since it helps control the sugar levells. There are innumerable dishes and pickles made with this Hagalkai which is one of my favorite vegetables...

{CJATTACHMENT ["id": 10981]}

Yes, What ever it said very good for controlling sugar level. In Bihar it is known as Kerala and used by various Diabetes patients.

Not only in Bihar everywhere it's known as Karelia. Not Kerala. Kerala is a state's name.
Yes.. Even I have heard that it has many healthy benefits, but people avoid it due to its bitter taste. Personally, I guess it look like Karela (I don't know if it is same).. And I like it.

It is Karela Anand, but nowadays the kind of karelas you get in market does not have much bitter taste!

Thanks.. Yes I thought so..

May be, but I like this from starting where all my cousin just used to hate it. :laugh:

ANDROIOS: http://androios-tweaks.blogspot.com

Nutrionists say by washing bitter gourd with salt water will not reduce its nutritional value.

If the juice is good for diabetes , one can argue that the bittergourd pieces washed in salt water will definitely wash away at least a part of the nutritive elemnts present in the vegetable.

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

If the juice is good for diabetes , one can argue that the bittergourd pieces washed in salt water will definitely wash away at least a part of the nutritive elemnts present in the vegetable.

You are right. What I said was about the drink made from 'Bitter gourd leaves'. Just a pinch of salt added to the concoction will lessen the bitterness. As you said washing bitter gourd pieces with salt water will certainly reduce the nutrients .I meant Washing the Bitter gourd before cutting in to pieces with saline water
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.