Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Sunil seems to be confused. Singapore is a city state with a limited population with no baggage of expenditures on defence etc to bother about. No poor persons are there and so on. china is a dictatorially run country where individual liberties have no meaning. In the last century they were mercilessly training there few players in TT and badminton to prove that Communism is  good form of social order. Now they are only communist in name. When our societies achievements are so few and far in between it is a natural urge to expect players to win so that we can bask in their glory and feel respected. When they fail we feel let down because of our selfish reasons.

Medals do matter and when India fails to win medal then it is undoubtedly a very sad moment but we should remember that the athletes who do not win become more upset than the supporters. People like Shobha De can spit venom only because she had never undergone that pressure. Let's hope for the best and good luck to the Indian athletes. Indian women's hockey team is in this Olympic after 36 years which is in itself an achievement. We can't expect wonders to take place all of a sudden. Yes, our sports administration must rectify their faults and promote sports in a genuine way. 

shampasaid

I'm not not interested in Comparisons. It's India and the problem lies within India. I was following the Olympics ever since I remember, through Radios in the grand olden Days and through TVs in the present times. Comparatively, I can say  the present participants in Olympics are thousand times better than the previous times. And I'm sure, in the following Days, we are in for many surprises.

Wonders can happen if there is a commitment and necessary steps are taken towards achieving it which is totally lacking in the Indian context..The Netas have not changed a bit since the time India got its independence and where everyone was equal but some were more equal..

The precedent that Congress set then continues with some minor little changes ..I was reading a tweet by one of the contestants who was flying on an international flight for the first time. She says that since she is flying economy class , she was all alone and the manager and a few officials were al flying business class. She was nervous since noone was there to receive her and guide her when she arrived at Rio..It was the airport staff that made an announcement and found help for her ! Pathetic indeed..

One can never blame the sportsperson but the officialdom that is so taken in with its own importance and how best it could use the occasion to its advantage , thats where our country fails ! Shoba de got it wrong because she targeted the players instead of the people behind the show!

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

I was watching the Olympic live shows on TV, almost regularly. Yesterday, I was really astonished to see Atanu Das of India beating Cuba in the Archery individual event with ease and elan. Another event is men's  Hockey  team. The entire Team played as a single unit ,  put up a splendid performance and beaten Argentina. On another side, the First timer Deepa Karmakar had shot in to finals in the Gymnastics. Such feat is rare for a rank new comer.

Seeing all this, I feel this time, the Pre Olympic  training facilities are far better than earlier times. If it is true, I think in the days to come we are going to hear about many miracles in Rio.

Okay I am confused and Singapore is a city state but we have many city states like Chandigarh, Delhi etc in our country that have all the modern facilities and no burden of supporting army etc which could be used as good platform for developing good athletes. But the mentality that we will not improve has put us in a mindset which reflects in certain members' posts. 

The time has come we should take strict measurements rather than feeling proud in "we also ran"

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

"We also ran" mentality has gone now. More than mentality and basic infrastructure , the candidate's will to Win and undergo the painful regimen involved in Training is essential. Without which, no amount of infrastructure or facilities will work. In the present contingent a few athletes came from a family that supported their wards to take up Sports.  This support combined with Steely determination  alone works.This itself is an indication of changing mentality of the people. just wait and  see, after seeing the promising performance of some of our Athletes like Atanu Das and Deepa karmakar, how  the attitude of both parents and Society would change.

I'm not saying that India will win several Golds this time. But what I want t say is it's the beginning of new trend, that's much needed.

usha manohar wrote:

In mens hockey it was Germany that won against India not Britain... it almost looks as if we may win just the odd bronze medal  if at all

Game of India was not poor against Germany, they scored victory gol in last 3 seconds.

usha manohar wrote:

Wonders can happen if there is a commitment and necessary steps are taken towards achieving it which is totally lacking in the Indian context..The Netas have not changed a bit since the time India got its independence and where everyone was equal but some were more equal..

The precedent that Congress set then continues with some minor little changes ..I was reading a tweet by one of the contestants who was flying on an international flight for the first time. She says that since she is flying economy class , she was all alone and the manager and a few officials were al flying business class. She was nervous since noone was there to receive her and guide her when she arrived at Rio..It was the airport staff that made an announcement and found help for her ! Pathetic indeed..

One can never blame the sportsperson but the officialdom that is so taken in with its own importance and how best it could use the occasion to its advantage , thats where our country fails ! Shoba de got it wrong because she targeted the players instead of the people behind the show!

She was literally rude and should be extremely criticised. Such officials should be punished. India going as one unit to Olympics is in reality not a single unit as the officers treat them as subordinates. Such administrators should be kicked out.

shampasaid

Rio Updated. Deepika Kumari cruises in to Pre quarters in Archery. Boxer Vikas Krisnan reached Pre quarters. Badminton events are going to start to day. Saina nehwal who is World No `1, is India's hope.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.