Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
I remember that in my school days, students were required to read allowed paragraphs from text books including history. This improves pronunciation and knowledge of the topic. The entire class is involved as one reads allowed and other listen. Teacher also gets first hand experience of how much the students have grasped the topic. Rapid reading is must.

Yes that was how it was until a few years ago.In fact my children were taught the same way, reading lessons were a must in school curricullums , but things are drastically changing now..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

When I was a student, reading was compulsory. So we learned to pay attention to smaller details such as pronunciations, use of punctuation marks etc. Nowadays since reading aloud is not given importance in curriculum, I noticed that many of the children cannot pronounce words properly particularly those words which have silent letters or are difficult words. I have also come across few students who read in a same way whether the sentence ends with question mark, full stop, exclamatory mark etc.

I find it strange that it might be altogether removed from education system when in fact it should be the other way round. If it is removed I wont be surprised if people face difficulty in communicating in near future after all wrong pronunciation can give a different meaning to the whole sentence
Thank you said by: usha manohar
Reading aloud used to be a part of the education system , but it looks as if it is going to be eraed out...The other day in one of the seminars I attended many of the teachers were in support of this move since they felt that there is no need for it now , with the children knowing reading and writing when they enter school...
Personally, I see it as a disciplinary habit that forms the basis of a sound education for any child.

True!! Reading aloud helps in lot of ways as you people has mentioned. It helps to correct the pronunciation, improves fluency and makes us feel much more confident.
When I was a student, reading was compulsory. So we learned to pay attention to smaller details such as pronunciations, use of punctuation marks etc. Nowadays since reading aloud is not given importance in curriculum, I noticed that many of the children cannot pronounce words properly particularly those words which have silent letters or are difficult words. I have also come across few students who read in a same way whether the sentence ends with question mark, full stop, exclamatory mark etc.

I find it strange that it might be altogether removed from education system when in fact it should be the other way round. If it is removed I wont be surprised if people face difficulty in communicating in near future after all wrong pronunciation can give a different meaning to the whole sentence

Very true ! Being able to speak well and in a proper manner is as important as being able to write . I came across someone who was able to write and send emails but when it came to speaking face to face he was not able to do so fluently...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Very true ! Being able to speak well and in a proper manner is as important as being able to write . I came across someone who was able to write and send emails but when it came to speaking face to face he was not able to do so fluently...

Exactly!! It improves communication skill to a great extent.

Exactly!! It improves communication skill to a great extent.

One needs self confidence to communicate in English with ease and this is possible only when you know how to form sentences and also pronounce them correctly ! I wonder what other method they are going to adopt at schools.Probably videos will be used to teach the children :dry:

It is really sad that the necessary and sensible steps for proper learning methods are being removed now. Reading is indeed a sound base for learning not just language and grammar but also it helps children to understand how and where they need to improve.
Similarly, now in almost all schools, children are now made to write only print letters and not in cursive writing, which is a basis for calligraphy and good handwriting.

Very true, I see that a slow and steady and also a methoidical way of learning the language goes a long way in perfecting their diction, proununciation and style of speaking and writing ...I guess in a fast paced world, this seems like a waste of time to many , what else can one say ?

I guess your answer does explain it all, no one wants a slow and steady way to learn anything now. That system was actually the best way to learn any concept and you remembered it always. But now in such fast paced world when you get readymade notes for everything which you simply mug up and score high marks, who wants to work hard? Teachers (with due respect to real teachers) too do not want to take extra efforts than is necessary.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: V.Arunkumar
It is really sad that the necessary and sensible steps for proper learning methods are being removed now. Reading is indeed a sound base for learning not just language and grammar but also it helps children to understand how and where they need to improve.
Similarly, now in almost all schools, children are now made to write only print letters and not in cursive writing, which is a basis for calligraphy and good handwriting.

Very true, I see that a slow and steady and also a methoidical way of learning the language goes a long way in perfecting their diction, proununciation and style of speaking and writing ...I guess in a fast paced world, this seems like a waste of time to many , what else can one say ?

I guess your answer does explain it all, no one wants a slow and steady way to learn anything now. That system was actually the best way to learn any concept and you remembered it always. But now in such fast paced world when you get readymade notes for everything which you simply mug up and score high marks, who wants to work hard? Teachers (with due respect to real teachers) too do not want to take extra efforts than is necessary.

I am sure, Kalyani mght have hear that there are many English speaking classes in Maharashtra. Not pointing fingres at anyone, but how much might they be really helping. Spoken English is all about practice, how long can classes help?

I am sure, Kalyani mght have hear that there are many English speaking classes in Maharashtra. Not pointing fingres at anyone, but how much might they be really helping. Spoken English is all about practice, how long can classes help?

I used to work for one such classes a few years ago and believe me, they are good and the teachers put in a lot of effort to get the non English speaking students to actually converse quite decently at the end of the course ! But i agree it is also a matter of practice since practice makes perfect !

I used to work for one such classes a few years ago and believe me, they are good and the teachers put in a lot of effort to get the non English speaking students to actually converse quite decently at the end of the course ! But i agree it is also a matter of practice since practice makes perfect !

I really appreciate your efforts. If the teachers are good and hard working like you, the students no doubt get benefited. A lot depends on how teachers carry out their jobs and responsibilities. Hats off to you!
Thank you said by: usha manohar
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.