Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Johnny Walker (11 November 1926 – 29 July 2003) got his screen name from the famous actor/director Guru Dutt who was impressed by his acting as a drunk. He was born as Badruddin Jamaluddin Kazi in Indore, India, the son of a mill worker and acted in more than 300 movies. No other comedian other than Johny walker had the opportunity of singing on screen , some of the most popular songs specially written for him and sung by none other than Mohammad Rafi...Incidentally Johny walker was a teetotaler..
He also had a unique style of his own which was loved by all film goers of that genre...He could easily be called one of the greats of the Hindi film industry.

A few of those golden oldies picturised on Johny walker and sung by Rafi that come to my mind are ..
Yeh dil hai mushkil jeena yahan ( CID)
Gareeb Jaan ke hum ko na tum ( Choo mantar)
Jangal mein mor naacha kisine na dekha ( Madhumati)
Mein mein mein Cartoon ( Mr Cartoon MA)
Mein bambai ka baabu naam mera anajana ( Naya Daur)
Sar jo tera chakar aaye ya dil dhooba jaye ( Pyaasa)
Muhobbat karlo jee barlo ( aaar paar)

{CJATTACHMENT ["id": 9287]}

A great thread that took me down the memory lane. Johnny walker and Md. Rafi created an atmosphere at one time that they were made for each other. Many movies would have been doomed but for the presence of Johnny.

Johny Walker is one of the great comedians our country have ever seen. He is my favourite comedian too. He is a comedian who is incomparable.

Apparently he was also a great human being, who was a very committed and good friend.I had seen an interview of Shammi Kapoor who was all praise for him, in fact Geeta Bali and Shammi Kapoor had to elope to get married and the arranagements were made by Johny walker who was god friends with Shammi Kapoor ...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Well I haven't watched any of his movies but like his songs especially Sar jo tera chakar aaye ya dil dhooba jaye ( Pyaasa) ..maybe due to Mohd.Rafi. Why he c hanged the names as John Walker? Does anyone know it.
Johnny Walker (11 November 1926 – 29 July 2003) got his screen name from the famous actor/director Guru Dutt who was impressed by his acting as a drunk. He was born as Badruddin Jamaluddin Kazi in Indore, India, the son of a mill worker and acted in more than 300 movies. No other comedian other than Johny walker had the opportunity of singing on screen , some of the most popular songs specially written for him and sung by none other than Mohammad Rafi...Incidentally Johny walker was a teetotaler..
He also had a unique style of his own which was loved by all film goers of that genre...He could easily be called one of the greats of the Hindi film industry.

A few of those golden oldies picturised on Johny walker and sung by Rafi that come to my mind are ..
Yeh dil hai mushkil jeena yahan ( CID)
Gareeb Jaan ke hum ko na tum ( Choo mantar)
Jangal mein mor naacha kisine na dekha ( Madhumati)
Mein mein mein Cartoon ( Mr Cartoon MA)
Mein bambai ka baabu naam mera anajana ( Naya Daur)
Sar jo tera chakar aaye ya dil dhooba jaye ( Pyaasa)
Muhobbat karlo jee barlo ( aaar paar)

{CJATTACHMENT ["id": 9287]}

A great thread that took me down the memory lane. Johnny walker and Md. Rafi created an atmosphere at one time that they were made for each other. Many movies would have been doomed but for the presence of Johnny.

Johny Walker is one of the great comedians our country have ever seen. He is my favourite comedian too. He is a comedian who is incomparable.

Apparently he was also a great human being, who was a very committed and good friend.I had seen an interview of Shammi Kapoor who was all praise for him, in fact Geeta Bali and Shammi Kapoor had to elope to get married and the arranagements were made by Johny walker who was god friends with Shammi Kapoor ...

His wife's name is Noor, Shakila's sister
Well I haven't watched any of his movies but like his songs especially Sar jo tera chakar aaye ya dil dhooba jaye ( Pyaasa) ..maybe due to Mohd.Rafi. Why he c hanged the names as John Walker? Does anyone know it.

When he went for his audition with Guru Dutt for a role he acted like a drunk and Guru Dutt was impressed and apparently told him your acting was superb like you were drunk on Johny Walker whisky, and thats how he got the screen name...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Rajani K

When he went for his audition with Guru Dutt for a role he acted like a drunk and Guru Dutt was impressed and apparently told him your acting was superb like you were drunk on Johny Walker whisky, and thats how he got the screen name...

That's a revelation. a good addition to the thread
Surely he was a great comedian. I have seen many films of him.

He was a constant in all Guru Dutt films since he was the one who introduced Johny walker to films ...later he also became part of Navketan team which belonged to Chetan Ananad,Vijay Anand and Dev Anand, and Johny walker was particularly good in Taxi Driver..

When i saw johnny walker sir, i was amazed as to how can a comedian be drunk as well as create comedy?

Because i thought comedy was performed in the movies out of situation or on a person... but his mere act and walk just made us laugh and cherish the comedy moment

Swetha Shenoy
A true comedian indeed. A legend! :cheer:

Mala Jaiswar
His wife's name is Noor, Shakila's sister...

They acted together in a couple of films and a very famous Rafi-Getta dutt duet ' Dekh idhar yeh haseena was picturised on the two for the film 12'o clock...

That's a nice piece of information to know and I think his son is also an actor ( Nasir)...
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.