Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
I think every technology has positive and negative effect. This is also true in case of Internet. The merits are numerous but demerits are less. They can be avoided if we keep some privacy while sharing our confidential data..
Recent case in FB.. one girl committed suicide with her family after her friend used her identity and share some photos of her as she is prostitute. If she could have maintained some privacy by using the privacy settings maybe this wouldn't have happened.

True....there is rather a lack of awareness regarding usage of privacy settings and even if they do know about them, most people, especially young kids do not bother with them. They also need to be aware of the kind of photos and statuses they post online.

Exactly ! I see some people posting images of each and every thing that is happening in their lives - what they eat,wear,whom they meet, their relatives etc etc.,..If you are stupid to that extent it is likely that you fall prey to mischief makers who think that internet is a safe place giving them annonimity which is not the case at all... It is very ewasy to trace people now with all the modern technology !

So true, some people use it as their personal diary with every possible detail. And when something goes wrong they never fail to blame someone else for that.

I see some people even giving out their bank details, it may be to a friend and they may think that only friends will be able to see it.But on FB some have a few hundred friends many of them strangers and I find this act very stupid...

Sharing something with too many friends on Facebook or otherwise amounts to publicity of your details. These are really no more secret. Whatever you do on internet is recorded by Google search.

And your friends and well wishers too know about your activities, some times we share some common things with all of them at the same time. Beyond that it is not safe.
It is all about keeping privacy as suppose in photo sharing websites and if one wants to share activities to near and dear ones, then privacy settings of Facebook, Twitter, Picasse or any such website can be set as this can be set according to one wish and in this way from a distance one can learn how to share some festive moments easily.

http://mohanmekap.com/

I think every technology has positive and negative effect. This is also true in case of Internet. The merits are numerous but demerits are less. They can be avoided if we keep some privacy while sharing our confidential data..
Recent case in FB.. one girl committed suicide with her family after her friend used her identity and share some photos of her as she is prostitute. If she could have maintained some privacy by using the privacy settings maybe this wouldn't have happened.

True....there is rather a lack of awareness regarding usage of privacy settings and even if they do know about them, most people, especially young kids do not bother with them. They also need to be aware of the kind of photos and statuses they post online.

Exactly ! I see some people posting images of each and every thing that is happening in their lives - what they eat,wear,whom they meet, their relatives etc etc.,..If you are stupid to that extent it is likely that you fall prey to mischief makers who think that internet is a safe place giving them annonimity which is not the case at all... It is very ewasy to trace people now with all the modern technology !

It is especially easy for perverts who keep trawling such social networking sites to trap gullible young children in their webs and exploit them. There is a family I know whose teenaged daughter and her friends frequently post updates and photos about their outings, weekend parties etc. with too many details. I think this is very harmful for the group in question and am quite perturbed about it but I know that if i tell the lady in question, she will not take in positively. She might think that I am posing a doubt about her daughter! I think she should be alerted about it since she is not at all versed in computers, internet etc. but my husband asks me not to get involved! :blink:

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani

It is especially easy for perverts who keep trawling such social networking sites to trap gullible young children in their webs and exploit them. There is a family I know whose teenaged daughter and her friends frequently post updates and photos about their outings, weekend parties etc. with too many details. I think this is very harmful for the group in question and am quite perturbed about it but I know that if i tell the lady in question, she will not take in positively. She might think that I am posing a doubt about her daughter! I think she should be alerted about it since she is not at all versed in computers, internet etc. but my husband asks me not to get involved! :blink:

Yes Kalyani, I too see teenagers giving out too many private details which may at some stage become dangerous especially here in India where there are stalkers of all kinds.This is even more relevant for girls who are constantly at the receiving end when they are out in public places.I wish the lady has the sense to grasp this and advise her daughter accordingly ...It is not being prudish but being careful !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Yes Kalyani, I too see teenagers giving out too many private details which may at some stage become dangerous especially here in India where there are stalkers of all kinds.This is even more relevant for girls who are constantly at the receiving end when they are out in public places.I wish the lady has the sense to grasp this and advise her daughter accordingly ...It is not being prudish but being careful !

Exactly...but since the lady in question is related to us, the issue becomes more complicated! We have experienced this in the past and that is why my husband feels we should not interfere! Also what irks me is that most ladies, even in educated and well-off families refuse to accept that anything horrible CAN happen to their children and happily ignore such activities.

The dangerous is internet due to its open architecture and shared computing resources, all files are not send in encrypted form, so these can be traceable, whenever we are connected to this virtual world,

The dangerous is internet due to its open architecture and shared computing resources, all files are not send in encrypted form, so these can be traceable, whenever we are connected to this virtual world,

The internet is dangerous not because of its structure but because on who we choose to use it!

The internet is dangerous not because of its structure but because on who we choose to use it!
It is a open world but there are means to restrict access and proper internet education is the need of the hour.

Exactly...but since the lady in question is related to us, the issue becomes more complicated! We have experienced this in the past and that is why my husband feels we should not interfere! Also what irks me is that most ladies, even in educated and well-off families refuse to accept that anything horrible CAN happen to their children and happily ignore such activities.

I know ! Most people dont realise that everybody is as vulnerable ! Recently we had a very unfortunate incident in our town among a friends family where they lost their young son who was apparently doing drugs , he was only 15 years old and in high school ! The mother had been warned by the school authorities about his skipping classes and not doing well in studies but she never really bothered to investigate and get to the bottom of things and the result was that the boy went away with a few older boys and was not seen after that.His body was found a week later in a guest house on the outskirts and he had died of drug overdose, now the case is being investigated,the mother understandably is inconsolable, but she could have probably avoided the tragedy...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

I know ! Most people dont realise that everybody is as vulnerable ! Recently we had a very unfortunate incident in our town among a friends family where they lost their young son who was apparently doing drugs , he was only 15 years old and in high school ! The mother had been warned by the school authorities about his skipping classes and not doing well in studies but she never really bothered to investigate and get to the bottom of things and the result was that the boy went away with a few older boys and was not seen after that.His body was found a week later in a guest house on the outskirts and he had died of drug overdose, now the case is being investigated,the mother understandably is inconsolable, but she could have probably avoided the tragedy...

What is the use in crying after the damage was done? She should have paid attention to those who were warning her about her son, now nothing is going to bring her back! So sad and unfortunate!

Soon internet will not only be a source of knowledge as this is but also endanger privacy and enably spying of citizens.

http://in.news.yahoo.com/how-the-new-internet-will-mess-things-up-for-you-075244590.html

The persons those who are on social networking sites often should be very careful.

Born to express, not to impress.
http://royalrobsideas.blogspot.in/
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.