Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
The report is about slavery in the entire world including India. No country is totally free from modern slavery. Bonded labor is one form of slavery. Forced marriage is also one.

Yes, there are incidents of forced marriages but it is not gender specific. You must have heard about forced marriages of boys in Bihar where good boys are kidnapped and married to daughters of influential ones. And this is not the case in lower class but upper class also. They are terrified to the limit that they dare not complain or take any action even after set free after marriages. Go to Japan and China, see the position of women. The women are demanding big dowry because of their low population. It is going to be the same in India soon when it will bride's side that will ask for dowry.

Do you know that the practice of bride demanding dowry existed in South India in 18th century especially in AP and in my own native place ? They called it as "Kanya Sulkam ".Even today a tribal group in AP has to pay Goats and buffaloes as a dowry to the bride's father.

Yes in some of the Naga and Mizo tribes it is common to stay in camps for few months before marriges and if girl approves, the future groom comes to stay with girl with gifts where girl is the boss.

I don't remember the names of the tribes but there in northeast they still have traditions of paying money and cattle to bride's family before marriage.

In the North East, the groom goes to live in bride 's house and children get surname of mother and not father.

Not only in NE, this practice is still alive in a tribe known as Koyas, in AP.
The report is about slavery in the entire world including India. No country is totally free from modern slavery. Bonded labor is one form of slavery. Forced marriage is also one.

Yes, there are incidents of forced marriages but it is not gender specific. You must have heard about forced marriages of boys in Bihar where good boys are kidnapped and married to daughters of influential ones. And this is not the case in lower class but upper class also. They are terrified to the limit that they dare not complain or take any action even after set free after marriages. Go to Japan and China, see the position of women. The women are demanding big dowry because of their low population. It is going to be the same in India soon when it will bride's side that will ask for dowry.

Do you know that the practice of bride demanding dowry existed in South India in 18th century especially in AP and in my own native place ? They called it as "Kanya Sulkam ".Even today a tribal group in AP has to pay Goats and buffaloes as a dowry to the bride's father.

Yes in some of the Naga and Mizo tribes it is common to stay in camps for few months before marriges and if girl approves, the future groom comes to stay with girl with gifts where girl is the boss.

I don't remember the names of the tribes but there in northeast they still have traditions of paying money and cattle to bride's family before marriage.

In the North East, the groom goes to live in bride 's house and children get surname of mother and not father.

Not only in NE, this practice is still alive in a tribe known as Koyas, in AP.
It is new to me and this is a new way to see the marriage an advertisement was there in such manner.

http://mohanmekap.com/

Abraham Lincoln might have done his job for his country by wiping out slavery from the US. But yes, I agree with what's given in the news. Forced marriage is one of them and there are still a lot of places where people are bought and sold like slaves.
Abraham Lincoln might have done his job for his country by wiping out slavery from the US. But yes, I agree with what's given in the news. Forced marriage is one of them and there are still a lot of places where people are bought and sold like slaves.

That was one aspect of slavery which he was successfully able to wipe out. But now in modern times another kind of human slavery exists even in a country like US, that is, human trafficking of girls, women and children for purpose of forcing them into prostitution. Not juts US but across the world, this kind of slavery exists in large proportions but is well hidden from the eyes of public!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani
I feel that the root cause of majority of the cases of modern slavery is poverty. Whether it is child labour, bonded labour, forced marriage, exploitations of prostitutes etc many of the victims get resigned to their fate as they have little choice. For instance, many children put up with poor working conditions, long duration of working hour with little rest time and low salary just to escape starvation. So, as long as poverty exist, it would be difficult to do away with slavery.

@Gulshan,
The matriarchal system that you have mention being followed in North East is prevalent only among the tribes of Meghalaya state.
Thank you said by: suni51
I feel that the root cause of majority of the cases of modern slavery is poverty. Whether it is child labour, bonded labour, forced marriage, exploitations of prostitutes etc many of the victims get resigned to their fate as they have little choice. For instance, many children put up with poor working conditions, long duration of working hour with little rest time and low salary just to escape starvation. So, as long as poverty exist, it would be difficult to do away with slavery.

@Gulshan,
The matriarchal system that you have mention being followed in North East is prevalent only among the tribes of Meghalaya state.

Yes I saw it during my stay in Shilong where women manage the business and agriculture and most men do nothing but either play cards or busy boozing.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

@Gulshan,

Matriarchal or Patriarchal systems are not the rigid norms in the present scenario. Where a woman is capable and running the family, she takes the charge and vice versa. Its a question of convenience and necessity.
Human trafficking is a class of modern slavery and in order to stop all these sensibility of people is necessary. As slavery was abolished in Indian Slavery Act 1843. laws cannot stop this, one has to create the sensibility among all people to abolish this.

http://mohanmekap.com/

Human trafficking is a class of modern slavery and in order to stop all these sensibility of people is necessary. As slavery was abolished in Indian Slavery Act 1843. laws cannot stop this, one has to create the sensibility among all people to abolish this.

Laws are guidelines. Its the combined effort of the rulers and the ruled that fetch results for a healthy society. Unfortunately neither people nor the govt are serious and sincere.

That was one aspect of slavery which he was successfully able to wipe out. But now in modern times another kind of human slavery exists even in a country like US, that is, human trafficking of girls, women and children for purpose of forcing them into prostitution. Not juts US but across the world, this kind of slavery exists in large proportions but is well hidden from the eyes of public!

Yes it is different. But the root is the same. That is because the human nature and the human tendency. That has to change in the first place. Scores of Lincolns will not be able to do that and that's the sorry part of the tale.
Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.