Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
I have a lot of nostalgic memories revolving around the greatest festival that Bengalis all over the world celebrate. Nature too creates the right ambience to celebrate. Strictly I don't look upon it as a religious festival. Now it is more of a social one, people belonging to all communities whole-heartedly participate in it and that is what all festivals ought to be!
I have a lot of nostalgic memories revolving around the greatest festival that Bengalis all over the world celebrate. Nature too creates the right ambience to celebrate. Strictly I don't look upon it as a religious festival. Now it is more of a social one, people belonging to all communities whole-heartedly participate in it and that is what all festivals ought to be!

I agree, such celebrations are actually a bonding time for everyone and to showcase their hidden talents. As children, me and my group of friends use to have great fun during the celebration.s So Durga Puja and Ganesh Festival have a special place in my heart, although now Ganesh festival has sadly been reduced to a big game of politics and money only!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

It is celebrated all over the country ,the name is different that's all.We call it Nava Ratri or nine nights here and Mysore Dasara is very famous ,,Lots of tourists visit the place and it gets jam packed during this season....Of course the celebrations have toned down these days becauase people dont have the time to celebrate for 9 days, but the last 2 days Ayudha Pooja and Vijaya Dashami are public holidays and celebrated in almost all households..

I have heard about Mysore Dusshara and intend to see it once myself!

Kalyani, I have seen it only once and that too very recently, but it is worth all the trouble since it is a great cultural experience when you have people from different parts of the state and artistes from all over the country performing every evening at the palace ground.I thoroughly enjoyed it and learnt a lot and felt proud to know that India had such variation and richness in art and culture.

Wow! That does sound quite exciting and me and my husband are seriously interested in such events and fairs. JUst waiting for son to grow up a bit more as he is too young to be taken to such crowded events!

Incidentally, do you know anything about Bangalore Art fairs? I only heard a mention of it recently but could not find much about it.

Yes kalyani, earlier they used to have what they call Chitakoota all over the town on the side walks of M.G Road where artisans from different parts mostly villagers and tribals, also others could display their work.But now with the metro work going on it is shifted to palace grounds....normally held in January..

http://www.dnaindia.com/bangalore/report_the-biggest-art-show-in-bangalore-is-back_1636527

http://www.biaf.co.in/

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

It is celebrated all over the country ,the name is different that's all.We call it Nava Ratri or nine nights here and Mysore Dasara is very famous ,,Lots of tourists visit the place and it gets jam packed during this season....Of course the celebrations have toned down these days becauase people dont have the time to celebrate for 9 days, but the last 2 days Ayudha Pooja and Vijaya Dashami are public holidays and celebrated in almost all households..

I have heard about Mysore Dusshara and intend to see it once myself!

Kalyani, I have seen it only once and that too very recently, but it is worth all the trouble since it is a great cultural experience when you have people from different parts of the state and artistes from all over the country performing every evening at the palace ground.I thoroughly enjoyed it and learnt a lot and felt proud to know that India had such variation and richness in art and culture.

Great! Thanks a lot Usha! The links are great, they even have given the schedules for it! :)

Wow! That does sound quite exciting and me and my husband are seriously interested in such events and fairs. JUst waiting for son to grow up a bit more as he is too young to be taken to such crowded events!

Incidentally, do you know anything about Bangalore Art fairs? I only heard a mention of it recently but could not find much about it.

Yes kalyani, earlier they used to have what they call Chitakoota all over the town on the side walks of M.G Road where artisans from different parts mostly villagers and tribals, also others could display their work.But now with the metro work going on it is shifted to palace grounds....normally held in January..

http://www.dnaindia.com/bangalore/report_the-biggest-art-show-in-bangalore-is-back_1636527

http://www.biaf.co.in/

Thank you said by: usha manohar
Durga astami is on 22nd october and navami is on 23rd october.As a bengali I eagerly wait for this festival.I used to celebrate this day with my family members and went to see the pandals of Kolkata every day of the puja.

Durga Puja is celebrated in Pune too in a big way. There are many Bengali associations here like Bangiya Sanskritik Sanstha etc who celebrate Durga Puja in a big way. For many years, I was a regular at the celebrations in the Air Force Station. Now,, only able to visit Durga Maa for a quick Pushpanjali!

can you tell a few words about Air Force Station celebrations....
I think, you can submit a good article about this celebration, even if you are not participating in the contest. :)

I will definitely try to write Sandhya!

Thank you :)
Actually, we Keralites celebrate Vijayadesami more than Durgashtami.
I have told already, it's Saraswathy pooja and Vidyarambham given more importance. Each and every temple of Kerala celebrate this occasion. Vidyarambham...the ceremony is conducted in every temple. It depends upon our choice to get our kid's blessings from whom.
Normally great writers (related to Malayalam literature), politicians too ;) are invited to temples. Kids sit on their lap and write Harisree. It's believed that if our Harisree is written by an intelligent person, we will become intelligent too :silly: :silly:

Meera sandhu
Let me add something more...
The birth place of Ezhuthachathan, who is considered as the father of Malayalam literature( who translated both epics for the first time) Tunchan paramb is both famous ...thousands of kids learn their first letter here. Guruvayur and Shankhumukham of capital city are also very famous

Meera sandhu
Durga astami is on 22nd october and navami is on 23rd october.As a bengali I eagerly wait for this festival.I used to celebrate this day with my family members and went to see the pandals of Kolkata every day of the puja.

Durga Puja is celebrated in Pune too in a big way. There are many Bengali associations here like Bangiya Sanskritik Sanstha etc who celebrate Durga Puja in a big way. For many years, I was a regular at the celebrations in the Air Force Station. Now,, only able to visit Durga Maa for a quick Pushpanjali!

can you tell a few words about Air Force Station celebrations....
I think, you can submit a good article about this celebration, even if you are not participating in the contest. :)

I will definitely try to write Sandhya!

Thank you :)
Actually, we Keralites celebrate Vijayadesami more than Durgashtami.
I have told already, it's Saraswathy pooja and Vidyarambham given more importance. Each and every temple of Kerala celebrate this occasion. Vidyarambham...the ceremony is conducted in every temple. It depends upon our choice to get our kid's blessings from whom.
Normally great writers (related to Malayalam literature), politicians too ;) are invited to temples. Kids sit on their lap and write Harisree. It's believed that if our Harisree is written by an intelligent person, we will become intelligent too :silly: :silly:

Sandhya, it is celebrated throughout India in a more or less similar way, only thing is they are called different names and not much is known widely about it. We too celebrate Saraswati Poojan but it is done quietly in our homes and not much ado is made about it. It is also when we teach children to write on the slates after drawing a symbol of Saraswati and books are worshiped.

But, here, we can't touch our books for 3 days as we offer all our books to Saraswathi. But we have to read at least for a while, soon after we take them back. The same day of Vidyarambh, were kids learn their first letters.
Before vidyarambham is conducted, we can't teach a small kid using pen or pencil. First thing he write is, "Om Harisri ganapathaye namah", written by some people related to literature, social life etc.

Meera sandhu

A few years ago we were in Calcutta during the durga pooja celebrations and it was simply mind boggling experience, such a lot happening and so much of gaiety and fun all around. Our children were still small then and could not grasp the full implications except the color and crowd,they loved it and always talk about being there during that time...I too would love to visit Calcutta again (which was incidentally my father's favorite city since he was a committed Marxist and had many friends there) and see the pooja celebrations once again...I agree that festivals are more social events than mere religious celebrations..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

We don't celebrate Durgapooja but on same day we celebrate Dussehra in North India.But here in Bengali community they celebrate it with high enthusiasm. Everywhere one can see pandals having kali's statue and people praying it. :)
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.