Festival have a cultural and religious significance. But today we see them being commercialized an a large scale. This has added to the beauty of celebration but has also diluted it's real significance. Pour your view on that

I am open to experience what life's mystery bag holds for me

www.arunimakunwar.blogspot.in

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Commercialization of Festivals has eaten in to essence of  why we celebrate the festivals.and also accused by many  of being a sacrilege. A main concern especially for environmentalists is the Commercialization of Diwali  and use of Fire crackers, which cause various types of Pollution which make conditions worse for humans as well as animals.

Our lives today are very fast paced, commercialized and digitized. Most festivals and their way of celebrations have under gone a drastic change to these changing lifestyles. I dont think there is any festivals that is being celebrated with same pomp and gaiety as in our childhood. Many festivals have even vanished from the scene. Today festivals are more about getting decked up and taking selfies to upload in social media than anything else.

I am not an ardent follower of festivals, for me it means more of a one day holiday and rest than anything else. But i still try to celebrate and prepare for it the best possible way for my kids to understand the importance and significance  of these festivals.

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated - Confucius

Many festivals especially Deepawali, Rakshabandhan and Karva Choth have monery angle.  It appears that Holi is the only festival of mirth and joy without any connection with money motive. 

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

It is not just Hindu festivities but even other religious festivals too have become commercialized. It is more pomp and show rather than substance 

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Commercialization of Festival force people to go for expenditure that is not necessary. If we think of festivals as simply indulging ourselves and spending money, it ruins the very purpose of religious celebrations.

I remember the attraction of festivals as child. I think it was one of the limited sources of celebration and entertainment that we had. So it was awaited for and we cherished that- new dresses, traditional delicacies, being with family and friends.... the joy enticed us to the festivals. Now with plenty surrounding our life in day to day life, these small happiness and occasions have lost that touch

During Diwali, there is a belief that people should buy gold to please Goddess Lakshmi. In fact there is no rule like that. This is a glaring example for commercialization of festivals.

Festivals are now less and less connected with religion, giving etc and are now becoming more of events and parties where there is plenty of shopping, foods, show of wealth etc. Hardly one ever stops and gives a thought to the real meaning of the festivals. Be it Ganeshotsav, Eid, Diwali, Christmas or whatever. Festivals were supposed to be a time where people could take a breather from their daily routines, indulge in special foods, give what they had to the ones less fortunate etc. But are now reduced to a splurging of wealth and indulging in their own fantasies.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

The simplicity in life have been overshadowed by exhibitionism. And so has happened to our festivals. Moreover, things that were part of our rituals around festivals no longer exist. I remember our Diwali preparation started a month before Diwali and we, the children around would take a pride in helping with all the chores- Cleaning, preparing wicks out of old cotton saris of my grandmother, helping with all the making of snacks and sweets etc.. So much of excitement was built around festivals. Now in the busy schedule we outsource most of our work So the hand and heart do not participate for the celebration, it is only head ( our intellect) that is a part of it. Everything is available ready made but excitement and fun can not be bought readymade

When everything around has changed the way we celebrate festivals also has to change.Outsourcing is because families are nuclear now and increasingly women are employed.Comptetion iscforcing children to devote more time to education and career building.Comparisons are not proper between today and distant past. Yes festivals are flash marketing leading to good turn over forcall concerned.Enjoy the festivals rather than usual microanalysis. Happy Diwali.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.