The topic is locked.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
I think every manner is good and if that imparts good etiquette then it should be encouraged, nothing wrong to learn from other civilisation if such manners devotes some practical aspect of behaviours and other significant eitquetttes.

Exactly ! I personally feel that we have a lot to learn from the West regarding etiquette and social manners which is totally lacking in Indians, we cut a sorry figure when we travel abroad. I have seen how uncouth and mannerless Indians seem when compared to the others ...Unless we correct and learn there is no scope for improvement, no point in patting our backs and saying we are the oldest civilisation blah blah..

You are right but pl note that Western culture is individual oriented and Asian culture is family and group oriented. Therefore Western individuals look more well behaved and courteous as they respect other individuals. In contrast Asians do not develop individual personality but the group may develop a unique and whole identity. Therefore you will find in Asian individuals a bit of personality which you observe as a whole in Western individuals. In India you will find individuals of nuclear families more well behaved than those of joint families or groups.Not my ideas but of those who study social behaviours. Indians are boisterous in a group and Westerners are mighty silent and reverse is the case when Indians and Westerners are alone.
Thank you said by: mohan manohar
I think every manner is good and if that imparts good etiquette then it should be encouraged, nothing wrong to learn from other civilisation if such manners devotes some practical aspect of behaviours and other significant eitquetttes.

Exactly ! I personally feel that we have a lot to learn from the West regarding etiquette and social manners which is totally lacking in Indians, we cut a sorry figure when we travel abroad. I have seen how uncouth and mannerless Indians seem when compared to the others ...Unless we correct and learn there is no scope for improvement, no point in patting our backs and saying we are the oldest civilisation blah blah..

You are right but pl note that Western culture is individual oriented and Asian culture is family and group oriented. Therefore Western individuals look more well behaved and courteous as they respect other individuals. In contrast Asians do not develop individual personality but the group may develop a unique and whole identity. Therefore you will find in Asian individuals a bit of personality which you observe as a whole in Western individuals. In India you will find individuals of nuclear families more well behaved than those of joint families or groups.Not my ideas but of those who study social behaviours. Indians are boisterous in a group and Westerners are mighty silent and reverse is the case when Indians and Westerners are alone.

I am talking about individual behavior and the way an individual interacts with another where Indians fall short badly ! We speak about having respect for elders but in public places people seldom show any concern or regard for elders even when they are in difficulties whereas Europeans and other Westerners are very caring in public places.They may not go inrto raptures but do what is needed quietly and with dignity ...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

There are some good etiquette with westerner and good etiquette with us and wise persons should collect one and make a hybrid etiquette. Life is like a language, it mix with others and grows otherwise language can be called as dead language. Similar, is the etiquette and living styles.

http://mohanmekap.com/

Thank you said by: usha manohar
Ultimately it all culminates to only one point. Whatever you do it must be acceptable and should not make you look like a person from an uncivilized part of the world.

There are some good etiquette with westerner and good etiquette with us and wise persons should collect one and make a hybrid etiquette. Life is like a language, it mix with others and grows otherwise language can be called as dead language. Similar, is the etiquette and living styles.

Of course good practices are there everywhere but one shd have an analytical mind and be able to dispassinately see what is wrong with oneself and the society they live in to bring in any positive change ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

I am talking about individual behavior and the way an individual interacts with another where Indians fall short badly ! We speak about having respect for elders but in public places people seldom show any concern or regard for elders even when they are in difficulties whereas Europeans and other Westerners are very caring in public places.They may not go inrto raptures but do what is needed quietly and with dignity ...

Agreed. We worship the cow but see how we treat it on the roads. We worship female Goddesses but see how we maltreat women.

Agreed. We worship the cow but see how we treat it on the roads. We worship female Goddesses but see how we maltreat women.
Everything not rosy in western world as it is perceived by us, what here happening there also or may be in higher rate, but there are some good things to learn from them and bad things to discard that is way a good life with great soul comes about.

http://mohanmekap.com/

Everything not rosy in western world as it is perceived by us, what here happening there also or may be in higher rate, but there are some good things to learn from them and bad things to discard that is way a good life with great soul comes about.

We are speaking about manners and etiquette and in that department the Westerners are far ahead of us ....Any society is bound to have both positive and negative aspects and it deends entirely o us as to what we would like to emulate..

We are speaking about manners and etiquette and in that department the Westerners are far ahead of us ....Any society is bound to have both positive and negative aspects and it deends entirely o us as to what we would like to emulate..

Yes we sure have a lot to learn from these cultures about proper manners and respecting feelings of others. I havecamny times seen pregnant females standing in front of seats reserved for ladies and young men are merrily sitting. No one even helps such passengers. I did once and had to hear a taunt by the person who got up as to is she realted to me. Every one else looked the other way. We are armchair fighters for discipline in the society.

Yes we sure have a lot to learn from these cultures about proper manners and respecting feelings of others. I havecamny times seen pregnant females standing in front of seats reserved for ladies and young men are merrily sitting. No one even helps such passengers. I did once and had to hear a taunt by the person who got up as to is she realted to me. Every one else looked the other way. We are armchair fighters for discipline in the society.

Despite the very clear notifications in Buses, "For Ladies", men unabashedly occupy them making the women and senior citizens travel standing.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.