The topic is locked.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Honestly I would not want any resrvations for ladies, rather they shd be strict about reservations for old people and handicapped. This is something that the driver and the conductor and the general public shd strictly adhere to. In western countries even if th bus is full people do not occupy seats means for senior citizens and handicapped ..

I too am against reservations for ladies in general but the kind of groping and touching goes on in the public transports against women, it is quite a horrible experience for many women, It is solely for this reason that reservation is necessary.

I agree that as a population the Indian men are still living in the vedic ages when women had no standing at all...I feel that once women start making an issue of any such wayward behavior, men will start thinking twice before emabrking on such misadventures !

No, actually in Vedic ages, women had much more freedom and standing than any time ever, even today. In Vedic ages women were treated with a lot of respect and there were many learned women scholars of note including Gargi, Maitreyi etc. It is only after the foreign invasions started, she lost her standing owing to a lot of reasons!

Back to topic, people generally have very less or almost no regard for others' feelings or sensitivity. That is why, the roads, buildings, anywhere public, are littered with trash and human waste alike! :sick:

I have seen litter being thrown out by owners of Audi like cars and when you stare at them they give you a look of disdain. A majority of us want our houses to be neat but are indifferent to the uncleanliness of our roads and public buildings. Today's paper carries an article at how there is a huge pile of thousands of discarded dhotis by pilgrims which will flow into and choke the Pamba river near the famed Sabrimala shrine in Kerala. When we do no care about ouur holy shrines and rivers can we boast of proper table manners and show compassion for our fellow citizens. A big NO.

Indians are a undisciplined lot totally lacking in civic and social sense which is 90% of the problem We cannot blame the government for that since representitives too come from the same lot of people ! All major cities stick because of garbage , Bangalore once called the Garden city is now fast becoming a Garbabge city because you can see garbage piling up everywhere , even in the poshest of places...

On a rail platform in a small town in Switzerland, there were only three persons ,me, my colleague and a Swiss person. I saw the Swiss light up a cigarette. After sometime I saw him holding the cigarette between his right hand fingers and the burning end was on top of his left hand which he had shaped like a cup. He was looking around and finally walked to wards a cigarette ash collection tray. There he deposited the cigarette ash. No one was watching him, he could have thrown the ash on the platform. I felt like saluting him. No doubt the whole of Switzerland was neat and clean. Littering is our birthright in India.

Imagine the same scenario here. The cigarette butt lands directly on an unsuspecting person. As a nation we are the most irresponsible lot.

Another clean city I have visited is Singapore. Citizens are fantastically maintaining it. They are proud of their city.

Even in India it's possible, if people and government work in tandem.

I doubt it. Finding faults is our favourite pastime. Running down others makes us look bigger is another enjoyable pastime.

I'm an optimist. I expect some changes though late.

Some years back I visited Hyderabad and found parts of it very clean. Wonder if it so today also.

No, the condition deteriorated. Gone from bad to worse.

Sad.
Honestly I would not want any resrvations for ladies, rather they shd be strict about reservations for old people and handicapped. This is something that the driver and the conductor and the general public shd strictly adhere to. In western countries even if th bus is full people do not occupy seats means for senior citizens and handicapped ..

I too am against reservations for ladies in general but the kind of groping and touching goes on in the public transports against women, it is quite a horrible experience for many women, It is solely for this reason that reservation is necessary.

I agree that as a population the Indian men are still living in the vedic ages when women had no standing at all...I feel that once women start making an issue of any such wayward behavior, men will start thinking twice before emabrking on such misadventures !

No, actually in Vedic ages, women had much more freedom and standing than any time ever, even today. In Vedic ages women were treated with a lot of respect and there were many learned women scholars of note including Gargi, Maitreyi etc. It is only after the foreign invasions started, she lost her standing owing to a lot of reasons!

Back to topic, people generally have very less or almost no regard for others' feelings or sensitivity. That is why, the roads, buildings, anywhere public, are littered with trash and human waste alike! :sick:

I have seen litter being thrown out by owners of Audi like cars and when you stare at them they give you a look of disdain. A majority of us want our houses to be neat but are indifferent to the uncleanliness of our roads and public buildings. Today's paper carries an article at how there is a huge pile of thousands of discarded dhotis by pilgrims which will flow into and choke the Pamba river near the famed Sabrimala shrine in Kerala. When we do no care about ouur holy shrines and rivers can we boast of proper table manners and show compassion for our fellow citizens. A big NO.

Indians are a undisciplined lot totally lacking in civic and social sense which is 90% of the problem We cannot blame the government for that since representitives too come from the same lot of people ! All major cities stick because of garbage , Bangalore once called the Garden city is now fast becoming a Garbabge city because you can see garbage piling up everywhere , even in the poshest of places...

On a rail platform in a small town in Switzerland, there were only three persons ,me, my colleague and a Swiss person. I saw the Swiss light up a cigarette. After sometime I saw him holding the cigarette between his right hand fingers and the burning end was on top of his left hand which he had shaped like a cup. He was looking around and finally walked to wards a cigarette ash collection tray. There he deposited the cigarette ash. No one was watching him, he could have thrown the ash on the platform. I felt like saluting him. No doubt the whole of Switzerland was neat and clean. Littering is our birthright in India.

Imagine the same scenario here. The cigarette butt lands directly on an unsuspecting person. As a nation we are the most irresponsible lot.

Another clean city I have visited is Singapore. Citizens are fantastically maintaining it. They are proud of their city.

Even in India it's possible, if people and government work in tandem.

I doubt it. Finding faults is our favourite pastime. Running down others makes us look bigger is another enjoyable pastime.

I'm an optimist. I expect some changes though late.

Some years back I visited Hyderabad and found parts of it very clean. Wonder if it so today also.

No, the condition deteriorated. Gone from bad to worse.

Sad.

Public apathy plus government's inefficiency leads to disaster.
The issue has been discussed very elaborately- Table manners to city cleanliness. Let us close the discussion.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Thank you said by: vijay
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.