Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

I happened to come across my favorite book in the library last week, "Three Men in a Boat" by Jerome K. Jerome. Although I read it many years ago, reading it again was quite a pleasant change and I understood it more than when I first read it. The typical British humor is simply amazing and I kept laughing like a fool. There is a favorite quote in the book that I have always liked and appreciate those words now more than ever.

“Let your boat of life be light, packed with only what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, one or two friends, worth the name, someone to love and someone to love you, a cat, a dog, and a pipe or two, enough to eat and enough to wear, and a little more than enough to drink; for thirst is a dangerous thing. ”

Isn't that what life is about? If we keep it that simple, I guess most conflicts in the world would automatically tone down!

Beautiful thoughts , I too have read the book a long time ago, now will try and read it again. Kalyani, we don't require much to be happy , once your basic requirements are taken care of, if you can spare , you  need some aesthetic values too which again is different to different people. ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
usha manohar wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

I happened to come across my favorite book in the library last week, "Three Men in a Boat" by Jerome K. Jerome. Although I read it many years ago, reading it again was quite a pleasant change and I understood it more than when I first read it. The typical British humor is simply amazing and I kept laughing like a fool. There is a favorite quote in the book that I have always liked and appreciate those words now more than ever.

“Let your boat of life be light, packed with only what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, one or two friends, worth the name, someone to love and someone to love you, a cat, a dog, and a pipe or two, enough to eat and enough to wear, and a little more than enough to drink; for thirst is a dangerous thing. ”

Isn't that what life is about? If we keep it that simple, I guess most conflicts in the world would automatically tone down!

Beautiful thoughts , I too have read the book a long time ago, now will try and read it again. Kalyani, we don't require much to be happy , once your basic requirements are taken care of, if you can spare , you  need some aesthetic values too which again is different to different people. ..

That is so true, now that you mentioned it, having some kind of aesthetic value, be it art, plants or flowers or whatever else, your way of thinking about life changes, and you do not need to constantly want to spend money or collect expensive stuff to be able to appear better over others. It is the simplicity that matters most.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Certain phrases linger in your mind because of their profound impact . This is one such quote that I like ..

" We are made wise not by the recollection of our past , but by the responsibility of our future "

In life your responsibility towards yourself and others who matter to you, is never over until your last breath , something I realise all the time.

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.