The topic is locked.
I often come across parents who brag about their children and repeatedly compare their children to others. I believe that every child is unique and has his or her own growth milestones. Every child has unique set of talents and should be encouraged. When we make comparisons in front of a child we unknowingly hurt the child. Their confidence is also hurt in a way. What do you think?

I love writing and sharing ideas

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
I often come across parents who brag about their children and repeatedly compare their children to others. I believe that every child is unique and has his or her own growth milestones. Every child has unique set of talents and should be encouraged. When we make comparisons in front of a child we unknowingly hurt the child. Their confidence is also hurt in a way. What do you think?

You are very right. Children should not be compared with other children. It saps their confidence and many times they go into withdrawl syndrome from where they may only partially come out. Parents may think they are doing to motivate but usually reverse is the result.

It should never be practiced by any of the parents across the world. It creates the inferiority complex among the kids. Every one is unique in this world. Sometimes, it may enable the kids in involving vengeance activities against the person whom you are comparing with.

Born to express, not to impress.
http://royalrobsideas.blogspot.in/
It is very wrong to compare children with others and it is also very detrimental to their growth! A child who often gets compared to others ends up losing self confidence!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

It could be either way - some parents are forever criticizing their children in comparison with other children which is very bad for since it makes the child feel insecure and lose confidence in himself /herself...Either way we need to be careful while not comparing our children to other children nor to our own kids when there is more than one child in the family ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

So true. We often compare children within the same family which is wrong. Instead of acknowledging the achievements why do people always pinpoint on the drawbacks. Even we have our own drawbacks. We should try to think from a child's point of view. How he or she feels.

It could be either way - some parents are forever criticizing their children in comparison with other children which is very bad for since it makes the child feel insecure and lose confidence in himself /herself...Either way we need to be careful while not comparing our children to other children nor to our own kids when there is more than one child in the family ..

Yeah...comparison between siblings is very very common due to which there is a lot of rivalry among children. Sometimes the rivalry is carried into adulthood too!

Yes children suffer from inferiority complex when they grow up and personality disorders.

Yeah...comparison between siblings is very very common due to which there is a lot of rivalry among children. Sometimes the rivalry is carried into adulthood too!

In some form relation oriented psychology should be taught in secondary level schools to sensitize students.

In some form relation oriented psychology should be taught in secondary level schools to sensitize students.

It should be taught..but sadly, our education curriculum does not contain anything remotely connected to sensitizing students!

It should be taught..but sadly, our education curriculum does not contain anything remotely connected to sensitizing students!

They are only interested in producing robots who can attend tution classes.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.