Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
anil wrote:
Lopamudra wrote:
Gulshan Kumar Ajmani wrote:
Lopamudra wrote:

First of all one needs be clear about what extinct means.It means wiped out or defunct. Sanskrit is not commonly spoken or used as a medium of instruction in colleges or universities or even used in offices but how does it make the language extinct ? If a language has vast treasury of important information which one needs to refer to in various fields, most common of which is Ayurveda, then it is very much in use and can not be dismissed as dead. The alkaloids derived from those medicinal plants mentioned in the vedas are used in various modern day allopathic medicines as well, in addition to ayurvedic and homeopathic medicines. With increasing chronic aliments of modern day, various medical practitioners are referring to those scriptures. And what about vedic sciences ? Are they too lifeless ? If not, how does one make use of them without the use of Sanskrit ?

I wonder if even the Ayurvedic doctors know or use Sanskrit. I also wonder whether medium of instruction for Ayurveda is Sanskrit. No doubt Sanskrit is rich language but very few people know this and hardly anyone uses. Hence this is extinct beyond doubt. 

If the Ayurvedic doctors don't use Sanskrit, how do they decipher the text ?

Here's a link to the syllabus for BAMS ( Bachelor of Aryurvedic Medicine and Surgery) It does include Sanskrit and the age old Charaka Samhita

https://targetstudy.com/courses/bams.html

Sanskrit student can join BAMS. It is not compulsory that a student of medical ground can join BAMS. In BAMS knowledge of Sanskrit is compulsory. In 1st year BAMS Sanskrit is a subject.  

I wonder even after seeing the valuable inputs from our esteemed members say that Sanskrit is extinct and a dead language. Sanskrit will never become extinct.

No one wants Sanskrit to become extinct. It is the mother of many Indian regional languages. However in today's times its use is restricted to very narrow fields and it is not used like Hindi or other regional languages are used. This does not motivate students to opt for Sanskrit. However it is kept alive by the small section of our population and supported by various institutions which in itself is highly laudable, 

It takes time. It was a forgotten and neglected language. But it's not extinct. With effective reforms and support from the government like providing employment opportunities Sanskrit will regain its position of glory.

You mean to say that Sanskrit will replace English or Hindi at the national level. Emotional statements are not going to help Sanskrit.

There is no question of emotional statements here. I meant Sanskrit should be given its due place. I want both English and Sanskrit should survive side by side. People opt for that language that suits them.

But no one is coming in way of popularising Sanskrit. Itis only because its very limited uses no longer attracts students. a language will thrie if it is used in commerce. Many Indians are studying Chinese for obvious reasons.

Please go through the back pages of this discussion. You can know how measures are taken to popularize Sanskrit. Additionally there are News channels like  DD Sanskrit. Sahitya academy has been publishing Sanskrit works since 1967. It is always good to see the entire discussion forum before expressing your opinion

vijay wrote:

You mean to say that Sanskrit will replace English or Hindi at the national level. Emotional statements are not going to help Sanskrit.

I agree. We need not be emotional about language which is just a medium of expression and nothing more. People are more important. They can derive knowledge and skill through their mother tongue, which can not be Sanskrit, or English. I feel that harping on Sanskrit will only waste time that needs be utilized in research on medicine, space, engineering and other useful pursuits. Resources are limited. By spending these on popularizing Sanskrit or discovering Saraswati  river, public money is being diverted from more urgent uses. 

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Have all those measures made Sanskrit popular. Every year less and less students are opting to learn Sanskrit for obvious reasons. I have stated earlier also that efforts to sustain Sanskrit are welcome. But they are not going to help popularise Sanskrit.  Equally it would be good if if you may also see the previous posts for a change before rushing to express opinion.

I already discussed about those measures which are effectively functioning in promoting the Sanskrit. Especially that of Sunil in the same forum. Some of them are Sahitya Academy's yearly publications in Sanskrit every year. And DD Sanskrit channel which features regularly.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.