Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Dowry can be eradicated only when the people really want it to be eradicated. Many educated people still demand dowry from women and are even willing to kill if that demand is not fulfilled. People should stop feeding the notion that women are something by which one can make a lot of money in the form of dowry. :sick:

In fact it seems, higher the education status higher is the amount demanded. One of my friend from Rajasthan got engaged to a guy and the amount for the dowry was agreed. But there was a gap of around three months before the marriage day as she had to appear for her university examination. Within that time the result for civil service preliminary examination was announced. The would be groom was also selected. And believe it or not!! as soon as the result was announced, the amount was also raised and the girl's family happily agreed to pay!! :evil: :evil:

So the only solution for eradicating dowry is changing the mindset of the people.

If the girl's side had refused to accept their demand either the groom would have agreed or the marriage would have broken. Now what is the guarantee that they would not demand more in future? Unless girls would learn to refuse, nothing is going to change.

That's what I am saying! Unless people change their way of thinking regarding giving in to the demands and in accepting dowry, no amount of education or enactment of laws is going to help. I mean it is simply taken as part of tradition. By the way, from the interactions that I had with people from the north India, most of the people feel breaking of marriage as a bigger embarrassment than paying dowry to get married. So they would rather pay than break marriage. Maybe that is why all the efforts to remove the dowry culture has not really been effective!!

What you are saying about breaking free from marriage is not that easy really; and not only in north India, but everywhere else. That is why they prefer paying the bucks.
Kill the dowry system and not the girl child

It is not easy work. Expenses of marriage increasing everyday. Every parents wants that their girl will enjoy her life without any problem. For it they are doing all these.

There is no guarantee that the girl will be happy even after giving dowry...In fact to make a girl happy it is better to educate her and make her financially independent.Marriage is not the only aim in life, there are many better options.An individual should get married only when he or she wants to and is ready to shoulder the responsibilities and not because someone ( society or parents) want to wash their hands off the so called responsibility ! Once parents change their attitude everything else changes too for the better..

Well said. But the parents are not ready to shoulder the burden for long.
Dowry can be eradicated only when the people really want it to be eradicated. Many educated people still demand dowry from women and are even willing to kill if that demand is not fulfilled. People should stop feeding the notion that women are something by which one can make a lot of money in the form of dowry. :sick:

In fact it seems, higher the education status higher is the amount demanded. One of my friend from Rajasthan got engaged to a guy and the amount for the dowry was agreed. But there was a gap of around three months before the marriage day as she had to appear for her university examination. Within that time the result for civil service preliminary examination was announced. The would be groom was also selected. And believe it or not!! as soon as the result was announced, the amount was also raised and the girl's family happily agreed to pay!! :evil: :evil:

So the only solution for eradicating dowry is changing the mindset of the people.

This is bad but this happens often every where in the society. People do say that they should eliminate dowry but they become speechless when their parents demand/agree for dowry in their marriage. :evil: This is the practical situation of the society. Its not that easy to eliminate it. :(

This is bad but this happens often every where in the society. People do say that they should eliminate dowry but they become speechless when their parents demand/agree for dowry in their marriage. :evil: This is the practical situation of the society. Its not that easy to eliminate it. :(

Such people do not walk the talk. They have two faces and can never be trusted. Other people be better aware of them.

{CJATTACHMENT ["id": 10431]}

Dowry system is a big threat to our nation especially to middle class and lower middle class families.

Born to express, not to impress.
http://royalrobsideas.blogspot.in/

Dowry system is a big threat to our nation especially to middle class and lower middle class families.

Hi would like to differ with you. I have seen people from the upper class too who have not dealt well with the newly married bride just for dowry.

Hi would like to differ with you. I have seen people from the upper class too who have not dealt well with the newly married bride just for dowry.

Yes true and they take in terms of kinds also like car, fridge, TV etc.

www.mobileeduhut.blogspot.in

If the girls concentrate on education and career and the parents dont run after the eligible grooms, the chances are that the young men would have to look for brides and probably end up dancing to their tunes.I wish such a situation comes about so that the Indian boys realise that they dont need to feel so superior ...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

If the girls concentrate on education and career and the parents dont run after the eligible grooms, the chances are that the young men would have to look for brides and probably end up dancing to their tunes.I wish such a situation comes about so that the Indian boys realise that they dont need to feel so superior ...

Yes you have pointed out correct thing. Women can stop this system.

www.mobileeduhut.blogspot.in
@ Usha - Theortically what you said is absolutely right and may be one of the way we can eliminate this dowry system but you know our country has fewer infrastructures. Still in villages there are lots of people who don't allow their daughters to study higher. The village where I belong has no degree college nearby and people have to go around 7~8 Kms away from the village to pursue higher studies where there is few means of transportation so most of the parents don't allow their daughter to study further. Then how can we eliminate dowry system. Already boys are facing problems to get girls for marriage as number of girl/boy ratio is reducing day by day but still people don't understand it and ask for dowry before fixing marriage. I remeber recently one of my neighbor's daughter marriage broke up as the boy's parents were asking for too much of money that too in cash and I think they did right to break it as God knows what would they have done with the girl if she was married with this boy. :evil:
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.