Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
I think that's a very valid point. Today more than the girl it is the dowery system that needs to be overcome. But if girls don't remain how will there be a dowery?

And to add a few facts, this is women who look at dowry as a mandatory tradition of a marriage. Some girls even feel bad if no proper amount provided in their marriages. This is double standard. You go against dowry while father or mother of a daughter and dowry looks lucrative while you are parents of a boy. Even ministers who speech big against dowry spend and pay lavishly.

As far as I am concerned, I (our family) haven't taken a single paisa from the girl's parnets when I got married to her. I don't care if people believe this or not, but that's the truth.

I do believe you because I never paid any thing for my daughters marriage nor took a single paisa barring the Tilak that too only 101/ to keep 'Tilak tradition' going.

Yes, I have to also tell the other side. I wasn't given anything in form of cash for the "tilak" ceremony. It was a pair of dress material. So, that's what I accepted and as you said, jsut a symbolic and as a mark of tradition.
That's true we should eliminate dowry from the society. Even the educated people too ask for dowry. :evil:
I would say one thing to the dowry thirsty people - "If you can't kill dowry system, kill your male child instead of female child".
Actually a man has two faces, when he is the father of female then he is against of it, that man will demand dowry when his son is going to marry.

www.mobileeduhut.blogspot.in
It is not possible to kill the system instead if each individual pledges to do his/her best not to encourage the dowry system and abides by it a lot can be achieved. We see youngsters falling in love and when it comes to marriage the parents take over making the same demands as in an arranged marriage so the love becomes meaningless, just a physical attraction without any other involvement as far as emotions go..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

It is not possible to kill the system instead if each individual pledges to do his/her best not to encourage the dowry system and abides by it a lot can be achieved. We see youngsters falling in love and when it comes to marriage the parents take over making the same demands as in an arranged marriage so the love becomes meaningless, just a physical attraction without any other involvement as far as emotions go..

Yes I have seen many such examples, ultimately the greed triumphs over love and emotions. Also, I have seen an increasing trend of dowry in the newly rich and affluent class from both the groom and the bride sides. The dowry apparently now is connected with snob value in this class! :blink:

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Dowry system is very harmful and burden on girls (brides) family.

Dowry system is strictly prohibited by Indian law in 1961.

Be positive
Dowry system is very harmful and burden on girls (brides) family.

Dowry system is strictly prohibited by Indian law in 1961.

I have 4 sisters and I am very fortunate that none of my sisters had to face dowry problems. I mean the relations were such that even those families too never demanded it. And as I said earlier, I too never accepted dowry when I got married.
I think you are lucky enough to get such families who doesn't demand dowry. Because its only a minority which should change.
Thank you said by: Abhijit Dnyaneshwar Bangal

Yes I have seen many such examples, ultimately the greed triumphs over love and emotions. Also, I have seen an increasing trend of dowry in the newly rich and affluent class from both the groom and the bride sides. The dowry apparently now is connected with snob value in this class! :blink:

Indeed it is a status symbol among many newly rich families esp the gulf monied ones , I had a bad experience once when a boy approached me and said that he liked one of my cousins who is also a teacher ,just started teaching in a school close to mine and whether I would talk to her parents on his behalf.i agreed and somehow convinced them.The boys parents took over at this stage and demanded dowry, and the funny thing is the girl too was ok with it although her parents were unhappy about it :dry: , I washed my hands off after that. They have been married for 3 years now and she looks unhappy all the time, but I really dont want to be part of anything there ...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.