The topic is locked.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
I must admire the suggestion of our learned members but may I add that if grammar and structure would become the sole criteria of postings then thee would be hardly 10 members who would remain here participating in forums. Almost half of them would be moderators and rest visiting at their convenience. I agree we need a good sentence but if the emphasis is on queens English I am afraid moderators either would be spending whole time editing those posts or find no posts to edit.
I have been participating in different international forums for long and members objecting to language or grammar to members from non English speaking countries are asked to refrain from being harsh.
Thanks.

Suni, I think you are taking this much too seriously. See we all learn something new everyday and originally the point of writing in fluent English, applied more to articles than forum posts. Though it would be in betterment of the site, if members take some time out to post in understandable English. The reason is at any point of time, there are more guests on this site, then there are members. And writing in bad english does not makes you look credible.

But yea, one thing I would like to say is that don't get caught in minute details. As long as you are putting across your point in a clear and logical manner, don't care much. Personally, I hardly pay attention to punctuation when it comes to forum post, this is not a money making activity, so I don't bother wasting my time but I make sure that my point is well laid out and understood.

And suni, this is a forum, filled with intelligent and helpful members, treat it as your playground to learn something new. No moderator is going to ban you for posting in bad grammar and English unless you are doing it deliberately. And your willingness to learn will defintely improve you and you would feel confident enough to post in any international forum you would like to participate.

Also, here no one is judgmental how you post, but yea, your willingness to learn is what will separate you from the rest of the crowd who have given up on their self and think that they can never learn it.

And take it from me, there is nothing in life that you can't learn and master.

As a moderator, I am not very much concerned about minute errors on forum posts, but the meaning of what the poster intends to convey is more important. Another thing that I wish to point out is that, there are some with not very good knowledge of English, but they are trying hard to improve themselves and their posts show their efforts.

But there are some who do not really take efforts to improve themselves and will keep making gross errors, and if you point out their mistakes, they will not take it very kindly. It is only a matter of trying to help someone improve and if they don't like it, tough luck! After all, like you rightly said, there are more non-members logged in here than the members, so ones who do improve will profit more than ones who don't want to!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

I must admire the suggestion of our learned members but may I add that if grammar and structure would become the sole criteria of postings then thee would be hardly 10 members who would remain here participating in forums. Almost half of them would be moderators and rest visiting at their convenience. I agree we need a good sentence but if the emphasis is on queens English I am afraid moderators either would be spending whole time editing those posts or find no posts to edit.
I have been participating in different international forums for long and members objecting to language or grammar to members from non English speaking countries are asked to refrain from being harsh.
Thanks.

Suni, I think you are taking this much too seriously. See we all learn something new everyday and originally the point of writing in fluent English, applied more to articles than forum posts. Though it would be in betterment of the site, if members take some time out to post in understandable English. The reason is at any point of time, there are more guests on this site, then there are members. And writing in bad english does not makes you look credible.

But yea, one thing I would like to say is that don't get caught in minute details. As long as you are putting across your point in a clear and logical manner, don't care much. Personally, I hardly pay attention to punctuation when it comes to forum post, this is not a money making activity, so I don't bother wasting my time but I make sure that my point is well laid out and understood.

And suni, this is a forum, filled with intelligent and helpful members, treat it as your playground to learn something new. No moderator is going to ban you for posting in bad grammar and English unless you are doing it deliberately. And your willingness to learn will defintely improve you and you would feel confident enough to post in any international forum you would like to participate.

Also, here no one is judgmental how you post, but yea, your willingness to learn is what will separate you from the rest of the crowd who have given up on their self and think that they can never learn it.

Let me answer your long post in a single line, I have no objection if the need of the site is Victorian English. I am quite capable of writing in Queens English and do so when the situation demands so. Thanks for your nice suggestions. Cheers.

I am glad to hear that you have no objection, but then I don't understand what the fuss was all about. You even mentioned quitting the forum. Also, if someone points out your mistake it is upto you to correct it, no one will spoon feed you. And believe me, correcting your mistakes makes you never do that mistake again and also makes you a wise person.

P.S. I am known here to write long forum posts. I hardly participate but when I do I make sure I post quality and put my point across well.

Arun...
It was just a funny talk. You became too serious with it :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :laugh: :laugh: :angry: :angry: :P :P :P

Meera sandhu
Thanks.

As a moderator, I am not very much concerned about minute errors on forum posts, but the meaning of what the poster intends to convey is more important. Another thing that I wish to point out is that, there are some with not very good knowledge of English, but they are trying hard to improve themselves and their posts show their efforts.

But there are some who do not really take efforts to improve themselves and will keep making gross errors, and if you point out their mistakes, they will not take it very kindly. It is only a matter of trying to help someone improve and if they don't like it, tough luck! After all, like you rightly said, there are more non-members logged in here than the members, so ones who do improve will profit more than ones who don't want to!

Kalyani
Am working here in forum to improve my English also. So, I won't feel bad if you point my errors. Instead I will be happy. :) :) :) :)
So, do point my grammatical errors .......particularly if am repeating the same mistake again and again. If some one guide me, I can correct it easily. Otherwise I will always think, it's right :P

Meera sandhu
Thanks.

Let me answer your long post in a single line, I have no objection if the need of the site is Victorian English. I am quite capable of writing in Queens English and do so when the situation demands so. Thanks for your nice suggestions. Cheers.

I am glad to hear that you have no objection, but then I don't understand what the fuss was all about. You even mentioned quitting the forum. Also, if someone points out your mistake it is upto you to correct it, no one will spoon feed you. And believe me, correcting your mistakes makes you never do that mistake again and also makes you a wise person.

P.S. I am known here to write long forum posts. I hardly participate but when I do I make sure I post quality and put my point across well.

I have said it in other reference to quit forums as we haven't had much of a conversation in between two of us here so you are not aware. I have nothing to object to your long posts as that is your personal choice. Thanks again for your suggestions regarding me being spoon feed or a nappie around my neck. Cheers buddy.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

Tips for everyone looking to write better forum posts:

1. See how Kalyani, Ceem, Gulshanji write their posts and try to emulate them.

2. Present only idea per paragraph. This way it makes it easy for the reader to understand you (Irrespective of the fact whether you have good english skills or not)

3. Be ready to correct your mistakes

4. Keep writing without fear and keep learning without quitting.
Thank you said by: chinmoymukherjee
Thanks.

Kalyani
Am working here in forum to improve my English also. So, I won't feel bad if you point my errors. Instead I will be happy. :) :) :) :)
So, do point my grammatical errors .......particularly if am repeating the same mistake again and again. If some one guide me, I can correct it easily. Otherwise I will always think, it's right :P

Sure I will do that! :) I don't get many articles of yours to review so I really cannot comment on grammar of those, but like I said earlier, unless the errors are too obvious and the meaning is contrary to what is intended to convey, I don't point them out much in forums. But since you have wished to improve yourself, I will definitely do so, that is if I can find them!! Your posts are actually good and not many errors are usually there! :)

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: Sandhya Rani
Thanks.

Arun...
It was just a funny talk. You became too serious with it :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :laugh: :laugh: :angry: :angry: :P :P :P

Was it? It did come across like one, to me. May be next time you all can include hints like "hehe, haha or some funny smileys"
Thanks.

I have said it in other reference to quit forums as we haven't had much of a conversation in between two of us here so you are not aware. I have nothing to object to your long posts as that is your personal choice. Thanks again for your suggestions regarding me being spoon feed or a nappie around my neck. Cheers buddy.

If you deciding to quit forum was because of another reference then I apologize. I replied because, you mention about it in this thread and from your post it was evident that it was English that was your concern.

Also, don't think that I aimed any of my comments personally to you, I am just being objective. Anyways, since you have no problem with English and people correcting you, I think the problem is solved.
Thanks.

Arun...

Was it? It did come across like one, to me. May be next time you all can include hints like "hehe, haha or some funny smileys"

Am really angry with you :angry: :angry: :angry: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :P :P :P :P
It was just a funny talk. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Just go through those posts once again... :P :P :P

Meera sandhu
@Sandhya - Hey don't be angry, it does not suit you. Also, I would like to think that I laid my points objectively, Don't know what was so offending. Anyways relax. Won't be discussing this topic. I said everything I ad to say on this matter.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.