Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
For a starter it is a good idea to give a small amount of pocket money to children and let them manage their expenditure within that amount, also open a savings bank account and teach them to save money and earn interest. I have seen how children feel thrilled when they get interest, even a tiny amount ...Once they realise that money doesnt come easy, their demands too become more realistic !

Exactly. Its my practical experience. I have seen children standing in queue at the Bank counters holding their Piggy Bank containers. This boosts not only the sense of thrift, but also lays foundations for self reliance.

Absolutely ! My children too have had their bank accounts since the time they were 9 years old and I feel it has benefited them realise the value of money..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

For a starter it is a good idea to give a small amount of pocket money to children and let them manage their expenditure within that amount, also open a savings bank account and teach them to save money and earn interest. I have seen how children feel thrilled when they get interest, even a tiny amount ...Once they realise that money doesnt come easy, their demands too become more realistic !

Exactly. Its my practical experience. I have seen children standing in queue at the Bank counters holding their Piggy Bank containers. This boosts not only the sense of thrift, but also lays foundations for self reliance.

Absolutely ! My children too have had their bank accounts since the time they were 9 years old and I feel it has benefited them realise the value of money..[/quote

This is a testimony for Wise parenting. Such habits may look daunting at the outset. But the results give you immense satisfaction. This is like forgetting all your hardships of gardening when you see the plant you planted bearing fruits.
Today's kids have become more demanding mainly because they know their parents can provide them with whatever they ask for. Like Mohan has stated, it is a habit that has been created by parents themselves out of guilt for not spending more time with the kids. THe only solution for such kids is proper communication between the parents and the child and also the parents need to remain firm on their decision and not give in to the kids. I have seen parents who start out by refusing their child and when the child starts throwing tantrums, the parents simply give in and buy him whatever the child is demanding. This leads the child to believe that he can do whatever he likes to get whatever he desires. A very unhealthy trend!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

I guess environment and the society too has a role to play where children behavior is concerned. KIds are bombarded with visuals of every knd - shoes, games, cell phones, designer wears and so on , it is bound to attaract them and totally denying things is also not right since it is but natural that they would want to experience at least some of what is being offered... I feel it is better to buy a good pair of sports shoes rather than a mobile phone and so on...By and by they learn to distintinguish what they really need , what is not really needed ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

I guess environment and the society too has a role to play where children behavior is concerned. KIds are bombarded with visuals of every knd - shoes, games, cell phones, designer wears and so on , it is bound to attaract them and totally denying things is also not right since it is but natural that they would want to experience at least some of what is being offered... I feel it is better to buy a good pair of sports shoes rather than a mobile phone and so on...By and by they learn to distintinguish what they really need , what is not really needed ..[/quote

Exactly.This is what i said in my earlier response. They are exposed to Fast paced life and Cyber culture. This makes a difference.
yes I think that would be an effective way to deal with tantrums. If we do not succumb to their demands they will understand that they can't get way with their demands every single time.

I love writing and sharing ideas

Our socioeconomic condition, our lifestyle, our environment everything is responsible to some extent. When we go to a shopping mall to buy some stuff for us there we see stack of attractive toys and accessories for kids on display. So a small kid is bound to get attracted to all those toys and ask his parents to buy some for him. Then comes advertisements on television. So to some extent lot of exposure is there for a kid. We can not blame a child. Instead we can control it.

I love writing and sharing ideas

Our socioeconomic condition, our lifestyle, our environment everything is responsible to some extent. When we go to a shopping mall to buy some stuff for us there we see stack of attractive toys and accessories for kids on display. So a small kid is bound to get attracted to all those toys and ask his parents to buy some for him. Then comes advertisements on television. So to some extent lot of exposure is there for a kid. We can not blame a child. Instead we can control it.[/quote

Yes. Controlling the kid tactfully by diverting the child's attention and staying firm, Parents can do the needful. It's not a difficult task.
Our socioeconomic condition, our lifestyle, our environment everything is responsible to some extent. When we go to a shopping mall to buy some stuff for us there we see stack of attractive toys and accessories for kids on display. So a small kid is bound to get attracted to all those toys and ask his parents to buy some for him. Then comes advertisements on television. So to some extent lot of exposure is there for a kid. We can not blame a child. Instead we can control it.

Yes. Controlling the kid tactfully by diverting the child's attention and staying firm, Parents can do the needful. It's not a difficult task.

I would rather not use the word Control ...It is better to convince and make them understand so that they make the right choices. Personally speaking I would hate to be controlled by anyone and made to do things out of fear, so I would not want my children to do the same, it is better that they be given choices and the freedom to choose while guiding them and showing the right path...

I would rather not use the word Control ...It is better to convince and make them understand so that they make the right choices. Personally speaking I would hate to be controlled by anyone and made to do things out of fear, so I would not want my children to do the same, it is better that they be given choices and the freedom to choose while guiding them and showing the right path...

Exactly. I meant controliing in a convincing way, which the child understands. There should not be any room for authority or command. Otherwise, it leads to "Adamant" : behaviour in the child
Thank you said by: usha manohar
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.