Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
jabeen wrote:
vijay wrote:

I have an article on the dosa written in 2013 in this site under the title    Indians Eat 1.2 billion Dosas  Every Day. There is a daba here which offers nearly 100 variety of dosas !!!

I have gone through your article which incidentally is very interesting. In your article you had mentioned that the batter for the dosa can be prepared just by soaking rice and urad dal. But one of my former neighbour who was from Kerala said that its necessary to add yeast in the batter otherwise it doesn't turn out right. Can anyone clarify my doubt of whether its necessary to add yeast or not

Yeast adds a unique flavour and helps speed up fermentation process, but it is not necessary if you have ample time for soaking the rice and dal and then keeping the ground batter for another 6-7 hours. The trick is to not add any salt while grinding and resting but add only after the batter has risen and is ready to be used. And like Usha mentioned, I too soak fenugreek seeds with the rice and it seems as if the seeds too help in the process of fermentation.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: vijay, jabeen
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
jabeen wrote:
vijay wrote:

I have an article on the dosa written in 2013 in this site under the title    Indians Eat 1.2 billion Dosas  Every Day. There is a daba here which offers nearly 100 variety of dosas !!!

I have gone through your article which incidentally is very interesting. In your article you had mentioned that the batter for the dosa can be prepared just by soaking rice and urad dal. But one of my former neighbour who was from Kerala said that its necessary to add yeast in the batter otherwise it doesn't turn out right. Can anyone clarify my doubt of whether its necessary to add yeast or not

Yeast adds a unique flavour and helps speed up fermentation process, but it is not necessary if you have ample time for soaking the rice and dal and then keeping the ground batter for another 6-7 hours. The trick is to not add any salt while grinding and resting but add only after the batter has risen and is ready to be used. And like Usha mentioned, I too soak fenugreek seeds with the rice and it seems as if the seeds too help in the process of fermentation.

Many people say that salt shd be added later but I add both salt and sugar while grinding and I have never had a problem since the Idlis come out very soft and fluffy and dosas very crisp ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

usha manohar wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
jabeen wrote:
vijay wrote:

Many people say that salt shd be added later but I add both salt and sugar while grinding and I have never had a problem since the Idlis come out very soft and fluffy and dosas very crisp ..

I sometimes add salt when the climate is hot but during colder weather, adding salt takes too much time for fermentation and once, the batter developed a pinkish tinge on the top layer. So I skip the salt and I see it takes lesser time to ferment comparatively. I have never used sugar but it does make sense as adding sugar would certainly help the growth of microorganisms required for fermentation. I will try it next time I make idlis. How much sugar do you add? I usually use 4 cups of rice and 2 cups of urad dal as the main ingredients.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Kalyani, I too add 2:1 rice and urad dhal and if I am.making only dosas then I also add a handful of green gram dhal which makes the dosas very crisp and get a reddish tinge when roasted ...I add about 2 or 3 table spoonful of sugar . Once it is ground it is mixed thoroughly and left to ferment after which I never mix it if it is for Idli. 

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

As desired by rambabu I am providing the link for my article which also gives the reference of the basis for the title.

https://www.boddunan.com/articles/health-fitness/39-food/23050-indians-eat-1-2-billion-dosas-every-day.html

Thank you said by: rambabu

Thank you Vijay. I will go through the Article.

vijay wrote:

As desired by rambabu I am providing the link for my article which also gives the reference of the basis for the title.

https://www.boddunan.com/articles/health-fitness/39-food/23050-indians-eat-1-2-billion-dosas-every-day.html

Thank you....I had asked for the article link much earlier, I guess you did not read the post..

Re: Food items you cannot resist inspite of..

by  » Yesterday

vijay wrote:

You could provide a link to your article on dosas here ..

We have a chain Of restaurants here called Dosa Camp where you can make your own filling or Mx different batters to make plain dosas besides the many varieties they have.

My apologies @USHA. I sure owe you a  dosa treat if I get to meet you. 

vijay wrote:

Please consider me too. Don't I deserve a Dosa along with Usha?

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.