Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

I don't know if you have heard of ragi mudde which is a round steamed ball made with the flour , looks coarse but very healthy and packed with nutrients since ragi is known to be a very healthy option. I make this sometimes and prepare either mutton curry or pulses gravy to go with it. Ragi mudder is very popular in and around Bangalore.

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

usha manohar wrote:

@ Kalyani, thanks for clarifying  and the re ipe for stuffed puris ,  will definitely try out methi and spinach puris ..

@ Shampa , I always wonder if Paratha and Parantha are one and the same or if there is any difference in preparation?

You are welcome Usha, when kneading the dough for puris, I also add 2-3 tablespoons of besan and rice flour, if available, to the puri mix. This adds a delicious flavor and also makes them crisp.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: usha manohar, Arunima Singh
usha manohar wrote:

I don't know if you have heard of ragi mudde which is a round steamed ball made with the flour , looks coarse but very healthy and packed with nutrients since ragi is known to be a very healthy option. I make this sometimes and prepare either mutton curry or pulses gravy to go with it. Ragi mudder is very popular in and around Bangalore.

We use ragi flour a lot but in preparations different than what you described. Do share the recipe of ragi mudder, I would like to try it certainly as summer is starting and we eat ragi in summers mostly as it is quite cooling and refreshing.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

We use ragi flour a lot but in preparations different than what you described. Do share the recipe of ragi mudder, I would like to try it certainly as summer is starting and we eat ragi in summers mostly as it is quite cooling and refreshing.

I too make ragi Dosa, ragi rotti , and a sweet preparation which we call manni where jaggery and coconut milk is used . Preparing mudde is easy, am giving you a link with a video that shows step by step process..

http://foodandremedy.com/recipes/breakfasts/raagi-mudde-recipe/

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar, Arunima Singh

I have an article on the dosa written in 2013 in this site under the title    Indians Eat 1.2 billion Dosas  Every Day. There is a daba here which offers nearly 100 variety of dosas !!!

I am sure you meant Dhaba not  Dabba.  Indians eat 1.2 billion Dosas every day ? where from you got this information ? Do you have basis ?

vijay wrote:

I have an article on the dosa written in 2013 in this site under the title    Indians Eat 1.2 billion Dosas  Every Day. There is a daba here which offers nearly 100 variety of dosas !!!

You could provide a link to your article on dosas here ..

We have a chai. Of restaurants here called Dosa Camp where you can make your own filling or Mx different batters to make plain dosas besides the many varieties they have.

vijay wrote:

I have gone through your article which incidentally is very interesting. In your article you had mentioned that the batter for the dosa can be prepared just by soaking rice and urad dal. But one of my former neighbour who was from Kerala said that its necessary to add yeast in the batter otherwise it doesn't turn out right. Can anyone clarify my doubt of whether its necessary to add yeast or not

@ Jabeen

if you had seen the article , you could have given us the link. Some members, including me are interested in going through the article.Anyhow, he was requested to provide the article link, yesterday. I think today he will provide the link. I am interested to see some other factors along with Dosa preparation.

jabeen wrote:
vijay wrote:

I have gone through your article which incidentally is very interesting. In your article you had mentioned that the batter for the dosa can be prepared just by soaking rice and urad dal. But one of my former neighbour who was from Kerala said that its necessary to add yeast in the batter otherwise it doesn't turn out right. Can anyone clarify my doubt of whether its necessary to add yeast or not

Normally for Dosa and Idli batter we soak 2 cups of rice with one cup of urad dhal and a handful of fenugreek ( methi) seeds for 6-8 hours. It is ground into a fine paste and Since it is kept for fermenting overnight there is no need to add any yeast or baking soda ..You can see that it becomes very fluffy after fermentation and if you are making idlis you need to have a very thick batter and for dosas you add a little water and make it a little thinner so that it flows..

You can also add a handful of beaten rice ( poha) soaked in water while grinding the rice , this further helps in making the Idlis soft and fluffy 

Thank you said by: jabeen
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.