Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

@ Vijay,  i will definitely  take you up on that dosa treat..expressionless

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

@Usha, thanks for being a sport

@Rambabu , you too sure deserve a dosa treat. 

I hope it materialises some day.

But forum fights will continue.?

Thank you my friend . Of course, Forum fights will continue. But, I promise, these fights will be restricted to Forums alone.

usha manohar wrote:
jabeen wrote:
vijay wrote:

I have an article on the dosa written in 2013 in this site under the title    Indians Eat 1.2 billion Dosas  Every Day. There is a daba here which offers nearly 100 variety of dosas !!!

I have gone through your article which incidentally is very interesting. In your article you had mentioned that the batter for the dosa can be prepared just by soaking rice and urad dal. But one of my former neighbour who was from Kerala said that its necessary to add yeast in the batter otherwise it doesn't turn out right. Can anyone clarify my doubt of whether its necessary to add yeast or not

Normally for Dosa and Idli batter we soak 2 cups of rice with one cup of urad dhal and a handful of fenugreek ( methi) seeds for 6-8 hours. It is ground into a fine paste and Since it is kept for fermenting overnight there is no need to add any yeast or baking soda ..You can see that it becomes very fluffy after fermentation and if you are making idlis you need to have a very thick batter and for dosas you add a little water and make it a little thinner so that it flows..

You can also add a handful of beaten rice ( poha) soaked in water while grinding the rice , this further helps in making the Idlis soft and fluffy 

We are using here Suzi for making dosa and Idli. But real dosa and idli, which is prepare with rice and urd dal. Some time we try here to prepare dosa with rice and urd dal batter but we could not prepare it properly. It stick on tawa. I think we didn't add fenugreek seed so it was stick of tawa. Thanks, next time we use this recipi.

Good luck Anill. This time, you wil

Succeed in making Idli. 

rambabu wrote:

Good luck Anill. This time, you wil

Succeed in making Idli. 

I like much Idli and wada than dosa. I also like flavor of Sambhar.

Idli and Sambar are the ideal combination. Of course I too like Vada.

anil wrote:
usha manohar wrote:
jabeen wrote:
vijay wrote:

I have an article on the dosa written in 2013 in this site under the title    Indians Eat 1.2 billion Dosas  Every Day. There is a daba here which offers nearly 100 variety of dosas !!!

I have gone through your article which incidentally is very interesting. In your article you had mentioned that the batter for the dosa can be prepared just by soaking rice and urad dal. But one of my former neighbour who was from Kerala said that its necessary to add yeast in the batter otherwise it doesn't turn out right. Can anyone clarify my doubt of whether its necessary to add yeast or not

Normally for Dosa and Idli batter we soak 2 cups of rice with one cup of urad dhal and a handful of fenugreek ( methi) seeds for 6-8 hours. It is ground into a fine paste and Since it is kept for fermenting overnight there is no need to add any yeast or baking soda ..You can see that it becomes very fluffy after fermentation and if you are making idlis you need to have a very thick batter and for dosas you add a little water and make it a little thinner so that it flows..

You can also add a handful of beaten rice ( poha) soaked in water while grinding the rice , this further helps in making the Idlis soft and fluffy 

We are using here Suzi for making dosa and Idli. But real dosa and idli, which is prepare with rice and urd dal. Some time we try here to prepare dosa with rice and urd dal batter but we could not prepare it properly. It stick on tawa. I think we didn't add fenugreek seed so it was stick of tawa. Thanks, next time we use this recipi.

Anl,  you need to have either a non stick dosa pan or keep a, seperate tava for dosa.  I never use the dosa, pan for anything else.  Another solution is to cut an onion into half and rub it on the  pan before smearing  oil on the pan.  The dosa wont stick to the pan if you do this  .

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

anil wrote:
usha manohar wrote:
jabeen wrote:
vijay wrote:

Sooji or Rava is very versatile, can be used for dosas, upma and making sweets like sheera and halwa. I MX Rava, rice floor , ragi floor and corn flour along with curds , chopped onions, green chilies , coriander leaves and make rotti with it for breakfast or dinner. You can add methi leaves , Dil leaves or grated carrots too while mixing 

usha manohar wrote:
anil wrote:
usha manohar wrote:
jabeen wrote:
vijay wrote:

Sooji or Rava is very versatile, can be used for dosas, upma and making sweets like sheera and halwa. I MX Rava, rice floor , ragi floor and corn flour along with curds , chopped onions, green chilies , coriander leaves and make rotti with it for breakfast or dinner. You can add methi leaves , Dil leaves or grated carrots too while mixing 

I agree Usha! Rava is something that I always have in my kitchen in ample quantity. When I run out of all breakfast options, all I do is mix up rava with besan add curds and other stuff and make instant dhokla. I also use rava as the main ingredient for outer covering when I prepare kachoris and karanjis, it becomes more crisper and tasty.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.