Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
suni51 wrote:

I am interested to know more about your preparation.

Would you like to know about "Ant Chutney"? I have not eaten it but my Naga friends tell me it is really tangy and tasty too. All you need is a hole full of ants, wash them in water and crush them. Mix salt to your taste.

Even tribals in Bastar eat a similar preparations made from ants and it seems to be very delicious and nutritious. We had a guy from this region working in our office and he was a big fan of this ants chutney!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

jabeen wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
jabeen wrote:
rambabu wrote:

Gongura, a leafy vegetable that tastes savor, is such a traditional recipe  my state. Pickle made of amla with lots of chilies is another recipe popular in ap.

Gongura?? Is it a local name?? Never heard it before. What is its english name? Here even we make pickle from amla, chillies and lots of mustard seeds. However it is mostly prepared during community feast.

Gongura is Roselle leaves, sour in taste. We call it Ambadi in Marathi and Anthur in Mizo, Sougri in Manipuri. The leaves are tri-lobed with serrated margins.

I thought sougri is consumed only in Northeast. Here two varieties of sougri are cultivated. One has green leaves and the other has maroon leaves. The variety with maroon leaves are more sour. Both the varieties are used in making curry by boiling with other ingredients. But being sour, sougri leaves are added towards the end.

@Usha

Here lotus stem are mostly eaten raw as a salad type food item, to which roasted and grounded sesame seeds are added along with other ingredients.

Jabeen, sougri or as we call it Ambadi, is very popular in Maharashtra too. Although we don't make pickle from it, we make regular varieties of curry from the leaves, both dry as well as gravy-like. It is also a must as a part of offerings during Gauri-Ganpati festival.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

@ Jabeen I too have eaten a salad made from lotus stems , i think it was soaked n salt and vinegar and then added to other raw vegetables like lettuce, carrots and cucumber ..

@ Kalyani Ambadi or Gongura as it is called here grows wild and it is very tasty with dhal and ealso make a chutney with it using  garlic and chilies

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

usha manohar wrote:

Bamboo shoots are very popular in mangalore since it grows in abundance here. We add it to sprouts etc .Another very tasty pickle is the one made with lotus stems ..

I like bamboo shoots I food..they taste delicious. One of my friend add bamboo shoots in sambhar and it has awesome taste..

Bajirao wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

Bamboo shoots are very popular in mangalore since it grows in abundance here. We add it to sprouts etc .Another very tasty pickle is the one made with lotus stems ..

I like bamboo shoots I food..they taste delicious. One of my friend add bamboo shoots in sambhar and it has awesome taste..

I have never added bamboo shoots to sambhar since we normally use only certain vegetables while making it. However, it would be interesting to try it out and I am sure the taste gets slightly altered because bamboo shoots Have a distinct taste .

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

usha manohar wrote:

@ Jabeen I too have eaten a salad made from lotus stems , i think it was soaked n salt and vinegar and then added to other raw vegetables like lettuce, carrots and cucumber ..

@ Kalyani Ambadi or Gongura as it is called here grows wild and it is very tasty with dhal and ealso make a chutney with it using  garlic and chilies

I made a mistake. What I thought was a lotus stem turned out to be the stem of water lily plant. We do however eat salad made from roots of lotus plant

In our region, we use almost all parts of plants not just the vegetables. Banana stem and flower is used extensively to make curries . Seeds of jack fruits are also chopped up and used along with drumstick tree leaves to make a very tasty curry. Similarly tender leaves of pumpkin runners and the flowers are used in cooking . 

usha manohar wrote:

In our region, we use almost all parts of plants not just the vegetables. Banana stem and flower is used extensively to make curries . Seeds of jack fruits are also chopped up and used along with drumstick tree leaves to make a very tasty curry. Similarly tender leaves of pumpkin runners and the flowers are used in cooking . 

Here too, we eat almost all parts of the some plants. In case of banana plant, people especially enjoy the stem and flowers of the plant and make varieties of dishes ranging from chutney to curry. For pea, apart from the fruits and seed, we also eat the leaves either as salad or cooked as a curry

suni51 wrote:

I am interested to know more about your preparation.

Would you like to know about "Ant Chutney"? I have not eaten it but my Naga friends tell me it is really tangy and tasty too. All you need is a hole full of ants, wash them in water and crush them. Mix salt to your taste.

The very thought is repelling to me although I too have heard that it is a delicacy in some regions. If people can eat snakes, frog legs and monkey's brains why not ants ?

I like cooking by my wife or my Granny. Both are quite good Cooks, especially non Veg dishes.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.