Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Certain basic food items can never bore us even if we eat them every day like for example most Mangaloreans have fish curry, rice and vegetables almost every day of the week except weekends when they have chicken or mutton. In fact they miss it even if they have to forego their staple diet for a couple  of days 

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Yes, we the coastal people andhra Pradesh, eat Fish every day, Even dry fish too never bores us.

rambabu wrote:

Yes, we the coastal people andhra Pradesh, eat Fish every day, Even dry fish too never bores us.

actually they are addicted to it and that's why they never get bored.

sdfafa

Surely we all enjoy our staple food and  do not get bored of it. For us, daal and roti makes our meal complete. However, having traveled a lot since young age and lived in various countries and having friends of all cultures, my daughters have no such staple diet. They are real foodies and enjoy everything

I am open to experience what life's mystery bag holds for me

www.arunimakunwar.blogspot.in

usha manohar wrote:

Certain basic food items can never bore us even if we eat them every day like for example most Mangaloreans have fish curry, rice and vegetables almost every day of the week except weekends when they have chicken or mutton. In fact they miss it even if they have to forego their staple diet for a couple  of days 

True...it is the staple food which we are used to eating daily that never tires us. Other foods such as pizzas, burgers and similar items are no doubt, tasty, but we can never eat them on daily basis. Also it is a matter of taste that we are used to. For the last five days I was in Nasik at my FIL's place and since he had been staying with my elder brother-in-law for the last 1.5 years and a few months with us, there were no rations or provisions to cook food, so we were eating from a homemade tiffin service which my FIL uses. Although it is the same kind of staple such as roti-sabji, daal-chaval etc. the taste is quite different in NAsik than what I am used to in Pune, so I was a bit bored of it after two days.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

True...it is the staple food which we are used to eating daily that never tires us. Other foods such as pizzas, burgers and similar items are no doubt, tasty, but we can never eat them on daily basis. Also it is a matter of taste that we are used to. For the last five days I was in Nasik at my FIL's place and since he had been staying with my elder brother-in-law for the last 1.5 years and a few months with us, there were no rations or provisions to cook food, so we were eating from a homemade tiffin service which my FIL uses. Although it is the same kind of staple such as roti-sabji, daal-chaval etc. the taste is quite different in NAsik than what I am used to in Pune, so I was a bit bored of it after two days.

I am ok with any food as long as it is tastysmile.png...But when you travel to other countries and are eating random meals because you get so taken up with sight seeing, the first few days are exiting but then you start longing for home food. Once I was away for two months eating just sandwiches, pasta, soup ...I enjoyed the food but I was also equally happy to be home and eat rice and dhal after all that time.

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

Well, that is the beauty of home cooked staple food. It feeds your soul. Outside food is sometimes good to indulge yourself, give yourself a break, to explore and experiment with your taste buds. But it is the simple home cooked food that gives the utmost satisfaction.. i think it is love that makes it so content

Arunima Singh wrote:

Well, that is the beauty of home cooked staple food. It feeds your soul. Outside food is sometimes good to indulge yourself, give yourself a break, to explore and experiment with your taste buds. But it is the simple home cooked food that gives the utmost satisfaction.. i think it is love that makes it so content

You aid it Arunima! The food that we are used to is the same food we ate while growing up, prepared by our mothers and grandmothers and fed to us with love and affection. That is why most of our happy memories as a child are associated with food and home, because that is where our soul lies, and the staple food is the food for our soul!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

For sure, food not only provides nourishment to body but nourishment to social and emotional development. All our functions and rituals revolve around food. From happy celebrations to the mourning rituals after death, food is a part of everything

Each region has some special dishes prepared during certain festivals and it gets passed on through generations and it also gets influenced on by other traditions that migrants follow. In Mangalore we have quite a few such influences which have now become part of our own culture. 

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.