Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

Whatever other arguments may be produced for and against the sport, as far as I am concerned, this particular fact regarding the "manly, traditional sport" is inhuman and cruel and can be justified in noway.

What manliness is it to intoxicate a bull with alcohol and then win over him? What is the bravado in handicapping a bull with lime juice in his eyes and chilli powder rubbed on his genitals?

If this is what is done to the bulls and then injuring them seriously in order to prove your false 'manhood' I think these people are no less than the barbarians. This issue is now no more based on the identity of an old culture, but it has now become a battle of ego.

Absolutely Kalyani , We happened to see Jallikattu at Madurai in the year 2012 , when it was already banned ..The chilly powder and turmeric is mixed together and thrown in to the eyes of the bull after garlanding it and tying the red silk flag  on its horns. The youngsters who take part are drunk on local liquor and the poor bull runs wild with pain and the youngsters pounce on it altogether, it fell down and again raged on with fear and pain . It is such a gruesome spectacle  because the youngsters have sharp instruments with them which they use to get hold of the rope tied around its neck but often pierce other parts of its body. Finally they all catch hold of its tail to stop it from running and then a few take hold of its horns and twist it around and it bleeds before they get hold of the flags. The Bull later collapsed , not sure whether ir survived ..It is easy for people who have not witnessed this to say it is reformed blah b;ah because after the PETA report thats what is being circulated by the locals who are blind to everything else but their own egos and fun ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Hurting a living being for fun or in the name of religion is cruel. In India there should be common law for each religion to protect animals. No one should let to kill animals in the name of religion or for fun.

http://www.comparenshop.in

Manoj Kumar Lamba wrote:

Hurting a living being for fun or in the name of religion is cruel. In India there should be common law for each religion to protect animals. No one should let to kill animals in the name of religion or for fun.

Already there is a law. It says intentional infliction by humans of suffering or harm upon  any non-human animal. These laws animal cruelty  are designed to prevent needless cruelty. But who cares.

Jallikattu in any form is cruel to the bull. Surprising how the Tamils are hell bent  in uniting against the poor bull. 

usha manohar wrote:
anil wrote:

These tradition are much older. When people have limited means of entertainment than they used these tradition for entertainment. Now time is changed no need of all these. Live and let live.

I really fail to understand how people find entertainment in a sport where either people or the animal gets hurt. It also shows human beings disregard for anyone else but himself. A man enters the sport knowingly but does the poor animal have a say in the matter ..

It is the height of selfishness of human beings when they use animals in any kind of sports where they can get hurt

Animal can't speak so it is easy to hurt them. 

Divya wrote:Ths is a post I came across in fb.... Wanted to share with you all here ::

JALLIKATTU EXPLAINED TO NON-TAMILIANS.

Firstly, let me tell you jallikattu isn't a tamil problem at all. It is India's. It is as much your issue as it is tamil nadu's. 
I'm of marathi & rajasthani  descent on father's side with a tamil iyengar mom born in karnataka with a sister married to a bengali & maternal cousins who are half telugu & paternal cousins who are half Gujarati, some punjabi. So if anyone understands the importance of not being hung on language or ethnicity - its me.

Many of these ngo's supporting jallikattu ban will tell you that is a culture thing with tamils , that chauvinistic tamil men like to dominate their women and bulls, beat, slap or torture animals in the name of festivities among other lies that break your heart & make you sign yet another petition supporting complete bans of such festivities. 
Anyone who knows me knows that i'm not the type of woman that can be dominated & it sickens me that these ngos use feminism to subliminally create a sick mental manipulative link to a harvest festival to make you hate jallikattu whilst hiding the truth from you. Here's what they won't tell you :

1. Instances of cruelty or animals being hurt during jallikattu are extemely rare. Since 2012 there have been added regulations to prevent animals or humans being hurt during the festivities. The horrific footage you may see are mostly doctored and the ones that are real are over 10 years old.(regulations have already been put in place to prevent recurrences) 

2. Jallikattu is a festival that is meant not for the sole purpose of human entertainment, but also to assess the strength of the bull, the strongest bull is then used to inseminate the cows of the village. This bull is managed generally by the local temple with everyone's contribution thereby easing / sharing the expense of managing the bull.
The bulls that dont perform in jallikattu are used for farming.

3. For us city dwellers it is easy to say just remove the bulls and use tractors but the real india is in the villages, our rosy utopian vision will not work for our villages. Farmers across our country are already committing suicide (over other issues),how will they fund tractors? Also, remember bulls used in farming are cared for as family members, loved & revered. Their dung is used as manure. This method of agriculture is eco friendly & sustainable. Tractors cause pollution & need fuel. Banning jallikattu will send bulls to the slaughter house instead of farms to work.

4. Orgs like peta, hsi who are out to remove animals from our lives have a long track record of killing 84- 97% of animals they seize through color of law. (For details, please check humanewatch.org or petakillsanimals.com)
Since this issue started, lakhs of bulls have been slaughtered.
These orgs only garner sympathy, ask for donations, pass laws by bribing our corrupt judiciaries. Animals be damned.
They never plan for what happens to these animals once laws are passed.

5. Our native breed of cows are superior in genetic strength & quality of milk produced compared to the western jersey cows. There are several accusations that these orgs are partly funded by those looking to make india completely dependent on jersey cows and eradicate native breeds.
In any case, our native cow breeds are going extinct and festivities like jallikattu helps preserve them.

6. Cows are only the beginning. Once they remove cows, they will go after all other animals. They are already looking to take away our elephants through fake doctored videos(thats a story for another post)
They will take away camels of rajasthan, the buffalos of karnataka, then they will take away your dogs and cats citing that keeping a pet in human confines is cruelty. Ever heard of divide and conquer? No? That's how the british managed to defeat all the Indian kings & rule over India for so long.

Hinduism reveres animals, we include animals in our daily life, which in turn helps protect them.
If you are not a hindu, don't worry they will eventually come for your festivals too, because this is not about our religion or ethnicity or language at all.
Its about building a sane, sustainable way of life for all our country men, it is about saving all our animals by inculcating them into our lives. Don't let a simple language barrier stop you from supporting what is right

Its mentioned that regulatory measures have been taken to prevent human and animals getting hurt. What specific regulations have been taken? How has the regulatory measures improved the conditions of animals?

Its mentioned that the strongest bull is used to inseminate the cows of the village, as far as I know, a bull can inseminate maximum 10 cows that too at specific time duration
Thank you said by: Arunima Singh

@ Divya. Thanks for sharing this and showing the other side of the coin.

Well, the protests have intensified. They have valid points which can not be ignored. If they are following the regulations, then they can continue with the tradition.we can see emotions pouring all over TN...And supporters across the nation from all walks of life

I am open to experience what life's mystery bag holds for me

www.arunimakunwar.blogspot.in

Arunima Singh wrote:

@ Divya. Thanks for sharing this and showing the other side of the coin.

Well, the protests have intensified. They have valid points which can not be ignored. If they are following the regulations, then they can continue with the tradition.we can see emotions pouring all over TN...And supporters across the nation from all walks of life

Everyone keeps mentioning about regulations are being followed but I couldn't find even an article in the net that gives details about the regulations followed. Also if what Usha has mentioned about chillies and turmeric being thrown at the eyes of animals is true, how come these things are not regulated?? If chillies are thrown in the eyes of even mild animals they are also going to run amok and we cannot take that to assess their strength.

Jallikattu is being supported by Hindus, Muslims and Christians.Entire Tamil Nadu is united . It is all about Tamil Pride. Educational institutes, Offices and even Offices  of public and private organizations are closed.,

http://www.ndtv.com/tamil-nadu-news/not-about-hindu-festival-its-tamil-pride-jallikattu-chorus-in-chennai-1650648

Everyone keeps talking about traditions and culture but never stop to think even for a moment if that particular tradition is valid and relevant, or forget about its relevancy, not even think whether it is humane or not. All I can find information about jallikattu is how heinous and vicious the tradition is to the bulls. I have seen arguments stating that such sports are required to preserve indigenous breeds of bulls and cows, does it mean that preservation should be done in such heinous ways? Here is another link I found about how 'manly' and 'macho' the sport really is! And not surprisingly, there is the usual political motive behind this outrage!

http://www.firstpost.com/india/jallikattu-bull-taming-is-cruelty-at-its-best-tn-parties-using-it-for-political-gains-2564184.html

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.