Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Divya wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

Religion is the opium of the  masses and we can see what customs and traditions in any religion drives a human being to do ...Students shd be doing what they are supposed to do , and not get involved in matters of which they have little maturity to deal with . I sincerely hope the supreme court stands firm and also looks into other issues like halal and qurbani killings as well..this is a good beginning and a good initiative taken by the court !

I would like to differ again. 

I personally feel, each one of us should stand up what we are passionate about what ever it is. Though it is not required that kids be part of it but yes students from high school and colleges, they have a right to voice their opinion. They should definitely voice their concerns in the way they can. Its not only the students, but also teachers and principals out there. So i do not think its wrong.

Another very important point here is that its a silent protest. There are no roads being blocked, no shops being forced closed, no security threat to the women/kids. When why is everyone so against the protests. This is by far the best protest i have seen.  

As far as Supreme Court verdict is concerned. I again feel that Supreme Court should not be interfering with the faith/belief and customs as long as its not causing at atrocities. 

PS: I don't support or oppose jallikattu. But i see the sentiments of the people around me, which makes me feel i need to support it too... at-least for my friends

If that is the case, then my personal opinion is that, they all have their priorities wrong. Students should be studying and working in their classes, not voicing protests against ban on some sport. Sure, it is an ancient custom and a passion for the Tamils, but is it even worth so much to leave studies, work etc. and come out on the streets and bring everything to standstill??

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
Divya wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

Religion is the opium of the  masses and we can see what customs and traditions in any religion drives a human being to do ...Students shd be doing what they are supposed to do , and not get involved in matters of which they have little maturity to deal with . I sincerely hope the supreme court stands firm and also looks into other issues like halal and qurbani killings as well..this is a good beginning and a good initiative taken by the court !

I personally feel, each one of us should stand up what we are passionate about what ever it is. Though it is not required that kids be part of it but yes students from high school and colleges, they have a right to voice their opinion. They should definitely voice their concerns in the way they can. Its not only the students, but also teachers and principals out there. So i do not think its wrong.

Another very important point here is that its a silent protest. There are no roads being blocked, no shops being forced closed, no security threat to the women/kids. When why is everyone so against the protests. This is by far the best protest i have seen.  

As far as Supreme Court verdict is concerned. I again feel that Supreme Court should not be interfering with the faith/belief and customs as long as its not causing at atrocities. 

PS: I don't support or oppose jallikattu. But i see the sentiments of the people around me, which makes me feel i need to support it too... at-least for my friends

If that is the case, then my personal opinion is that, they all have their priorities wrong. Students should be studying and working in their classes, not voicing protests against ban on some sport. Sure, it is an ancient custom and a passion for the Tamils, but is it even worth so much to leave studies, work etc. and come out on the streets and bring everything to standstill??

Well the logic is... whole of chennai is out in support of the sport, then why not the students. As i said in a previous post... i total agree that people here are crazy when is comes to certain things and even persons. Cant hold that against them :P

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated - Confucius

Divya wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
Divya wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

Well the logic is... whole of chennai is out in support of the sport, then why not the students. As i said in a previous post... i total agree that people here are crazy when is comes to certain things and even persons. Cant hold that against them :P

MAybe they are crazy, maybe not. Citizens from other cities might be crazy for something else..but my point is, as a country which is already into the 21st century and aspiring to be a superpower, do we even need to have these issues??? Why not accept the court's judgement and simply move on? Why keep clinging to age old traditions if they are doing nothing substantial to us as a community? Find other better issues to complain and fight about, eg, why are there not enough trees around us? why is there so much pollution in Chennai? Or in Delhi, or Mumbai? fight about those issues!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Because there is more than what meets the eye

FB IMG 1484747594921

jabeen wrote:
anil wrote:

These tradition are much older. When people have limited means of entertainment than they used these tradition for entertainment. Now time is changed no need of all these. Live and let live.

What you have said is indeed true. We need to change our thoughts and traditions with times. We cannot continue doing something just because it was also by our forefathers. 

If I am not mistaken, even in Assam every family used to sacrifice an animal in the last day of durga puja as bali. But I read somewhere that after such killings has been banned by the court, the tradition of bali has been reduced extensively.

Bali is also old tradition. In Rajsthan have one city Tonk. Here is tradition of giving bali of camel, but it is banned by government.

People of Tamil Nadu still is favor of Jallkuti

http://postcard.news/thousands-gather-near-marina-beach-support-jallikattu-will-supreme-court-yield/

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
Divya wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
Divya wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

MAybe they are crazy, maybe not. Citizens from other cities might be crazy for something else..but my point is, as a country which is already into the 21st century and aspiring to be a superpower, do we even need to have these issues??? Why not accept the court's judgement and simply move on? Why keep clinging to age old traditions if they are doing nothing substantial to us as a community? Find other better issues to complain and fight about, eg, why are there not enough trees around us? why is there so much pollution in Chennai? Or in Delhi, or Mumbai? fight about those issues!

The problem is people of Tamilnadu have become misguided missiles in the hands of politicians. I know how politicians work with students, staying in the background. They pick a couple of students who have leadership qualities and at the same time can be manipulated because of their greed for power. They in turn gather student support and do whatever the politicians want them to do. What these students dont realise is that they are tools in the hands of politicians who dont really care about their safety and will even sacrifice them by igniting the mob to point fingers at the opposition. It happens all the time and in my school which is in a very communally sensitive area we are all eyes at any signs of unrest ..

Jallikattu is no doubt a part of Tamil culture but it has taken altogether a different form now ..

http://www.dailyo.in/politics/sc-ban-jallikattu-tamil-nadu-protests-cauvery-dispute-peta-indigenous-breeds-bulls/story/1/15124.html

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

I have just returned from Chennai. Today I started early in the morning at 3 AM and drove down. Everything was OK till 7:30. After that we could see protests everywhere on the sides of road. Especially near the colleges along the highway. I had to go for my daughters passport renewal in US consulate and our appointment was at 10:45. All these protests delayed the traffic and we reached very late. After finishing the work when we had to come out, we were stopped by consulate people to stay inside as there was a big protesting crowd outside. We stood inside for almost 1 hour. I kept praying that they should not damage my car that I parked in front of a church on the roadside as there was no proper parking place. Thankfully it was a peaceful protest with shouting slogans and banners. We rushed back ASAP. We even did not stop for our lunch till we crossed Vellore.

Everywhere there were youths protests, the written slogans read " ban PETA", " bulls are not bleeding but our culture is"" etc.

I think I did the correct thing by coming out fast from TN as I can see that the protests intensified in later half of the day from news channels

Guided or misguided, the protests do not seem to fade away soon.. moreover it also includes livelihood of many farmers. This is going to be in headlines for more days to come

I am open to experience what life's mystery bag holds for me

www.arunimakunwar.blogspot.in

Arunima Singh wrote:

I have just returned from Chennai. Today I started early in the morning at 3 AM and drove down. Everything was OK till 7:30. After that we could see protests everywhere on the sides of road. Especially near the colleges along the highway. I had to go for my daughters passport renewal in US consulate and our appointment was at 10:45. All these protests delayed the traffic and we reached very late. After finishing the work when we had to come out, we were stopped by consulate people to stay inside as there was a big protesting crowd outside. We stood inside for almost 1 hour. I kept praying that they should not damage my car that I parked in front of a church on the roadside as there was no proper parking place. Thankfully it was a peaceful protest with shouting slogans and banners. We rushed back ASAP. We even did not stop for our lunch till we crossed Vellore.

Everywhere there were youths protests, the written slogans read " ban PETA", " bulls are not bleeding but our culture is"" etc.

I think I did the correct thing by coming out fast from TN as I can see that the protests intensified in later half of the day from news channels

Guided or misguided, the protests do not seem to fade away soon.. moreover it also includes livelihood of many farmers. This is going to be in headlines for more days to come

This was expected. Its nice to know the ground situation as in UAE where I am present I wont know. But I do feel that this festival be allowed with safe guards like Bull fighting in spain which I have witnessed,

Arunima Singh wrote:

Jallikattu or other such events, where animal lives are involved will continue.In my state AP cock fighting is continuing on Sankranti Day. because these have the blessings of the Politicians.

@rambabu.... In Andhra cock fight will definitely continue because as I understand from my friends...It involves a lot of money.... To the tune of crores in betting

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.