Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
I think Tamilnadu is the first state who use the rain water most by rain harvesting. Rajasthan and Gujarat are also using.

How is Tamil Nadu the first state in using rain water??? Could you tell something more about it. Actually as far as I know rain water harvesting has been practised in many parts of India from ancient times. e.g tonkas of Rajasthan etc.
I think Tamilnadu is the first state who use the rain water most by rain harvesting. Rajasthan and Gujarat are also using.

How is Tamil Nadu the first state in using rain water??? Could you tell something more about it. Actually as far as I know rain water harvesting has been practised in many parts of India from ancient times. e.g tonkas of Rajasthan etc.

Yes , it is both Rajasthan and Gujrat that face severe water problems, which began the system of storing rain water in wells built within their house or courtyards , so that there was very little wastage or evaporation of water due to heat and sunlight...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

In villages, the conservation of water has become must. For some villages rain is like a boon.

It's not only in the village but everywhere that the conservation of water has become an important thing. In fact I heard that in many places including Delhi, it is mandatory to make a provision for rain water harvesting structure when constructing a house.

Oh! You mean that some place should be left for Conserving water?

That's what I was told.I don't know if it is actually followed. The structure need not be a big one. Even a simple pipe like structure on the roof edge could serve the purpose of collecting the rain water.

In Bangalore it has been made compulsory to have a rain water harvesting system laid if you are constructing a house on a site measuring 60x40 or more ..The sump is normally built in the driveway and all the water that falls on the roof and elsewhere is directed towards the sump where it gets collected..

The provision to harvest rainwater is compulsory in Maharashtra too but it is never implemented except for a few societies, most builders are adept at getting away without providing compulsory facilities by bribing govt. officials!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

I have seen in a TV program earlier.

www.mobileeduhut.blogspot.in

Yes , it is both Rajasthan and Gujrat that face severe water problems, which began the system of storing rain water in wells built within their house or courtyards , so that there was very little wastage or evaporation of water due to heat and sunlight...

Its true! People from Rajasthan and Gujrat have been harvesting rainwater from ancient times. So also in Maharashtra, Shivaji Maharaj also understood the importance of harvesting rainwater, he perceived it as a basic essential and built countless freshwater underwater tanks on all his forts, the forts alone maybe more than 300 in numbers. This water was available throughout the year and especially help the residents and soldiers during longs sieges that could last for more than a year! Sadly, almost all those tanks now lie in neglect and if they are revived again, it could be a solution to famines and drought!

Its true! People from Rajasthan and Gujrat have been harvesting rainwater from ancient times. So also in Maharashtra, Shivaji Maharaj also understood the importance of harvesting rainwater, he perceived it as a basic essential and built countless freshwater underwater tanks on all his forts, the forts alone maybe more than 300 in numbers. This water was available throughout the year and especially help the residents and soldiers during longs sieges that could last for more than a year! Sadly, almost all those tanks now lie in neglect and if they are revived again, it could be a solution to famines and drought!

Even in some parts of Manipur, rain water harvesting has been practiced from a long time. It was usual to have a pond dug within the compound of every house. Now of course, because of land shortage many of these ponds are being filled up to build new houses. Even then, it is customary to leave at least one third of the pond area as such.

Even in some parts of Manipur, rain water harvesting has been practiced from a long time. It was usual to have a pond dug within the compound of every house. Now of course, because of land shortage many of these ponds are being filled up to build new houses. Even then, it is customary to leave at least one third of the pond area as such.

Yes !states like Gujrat,Rajasthan,Maharshtra and Manipur are all pioneers and they have shown the way to other states. I happened to visit the step wells in Gujrat close to Ahmedabad where they have what is one of the oldest rainwater harvesting system done on a large scale,..if the picture upload was working I would have posted a picture since it is really something.. will do so at a later date :)

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Yes !states like Gujrat,Rajasthan,Maharshtra and Manipur are all pioneers and they have shown the way to other states. I happened to visit the step wells in Gujrat close to Ahmedabad where they have what is one of the oldest rainwater harvesting system done on a large scale,..if the picture upload was working I would have posted a picture since it is really something.. will do so at a later date :)

Yes I have seen the step well near Ahmedabad in Adalaj village, its a marvellous structure and even has water in it but is not usable any more because of neglect. Similarly, in Pune there are centuries old water system that were built by the Peshwas but they are either neglected or been covered over by new constructions. Only if such water resources are revived, there never will be a problem of shortages!

I knew about the quintessential ponds in Assam and West Bengal but was not aware of similar system in Manipur! Again, its proved that our ancestors knew what they were doing! :)

Rain water should be stored and purified for use.If we do so then the water shortage will be decreased.And it will help people to get water.I think govt. should take necessary steps to start rain harvesting.

Sharmistha Banerjee
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.