Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
I am more into Indian authors. I can relate to Indian fictions and really enjoy reading them. But sadly publishing a book has become so easy now that many new authors have emerged..which is a good thing, but the quality of writing is not at par with well-known writers.

Some of my favorite reads are: The God of Small Things (Arundhati Roy), Small Remedies and Moving On by Shashi Despande (these two are my favorite books), I also enjoyed reading Anita Nair's Ladies Coupe'.

Other than Chetan Bhagat who is probably the most popular modern day writer but lacking real quality , there are many good Indian writers like Vikram Seth, Ashok K Banker, Nilanjan Choudhury , who have all made excellent literary contributions !

I enjoyed reading Rohinton Mistry's Family Matters, however, A Fine Balance couldn't hold my interest for long.
Chetan Bhagat writes keeping in those Indians in mind who enjoy Bollywood masala movie.

Yes..usually when a book is made into a movie..it is somehow not well-adapted or portrayed properly, but 5-point someone was beautifully made into a movie.

True...his books are usually written quite superficially not unlike Hindi movies, but the message he tried to convey in Five Point Someone (3 idiots movie) is very relevant and good.

In fact, I felt the movie was more stronger and effective than the book itself!!!

I too liked 3 idiots a lot since it was well made and more than anything else had Aaamir khan playing a brillaint role...Chetan Bhagat is a very intelligent man , one can see that in his Times of India columns where he humorously writes on the political scenario of our country and he is using it in his books and the kind of topic he selcts so that they all go down very well with the masses !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

I am more into Indian authors. I can relate to Indian fictions and really enjoy reading them. But sadly publishing a book has become so easy now that many new authors have emerged..which is a good thing, but the quality of writing is not at par with well-known writers.

Some of my favorite reads are: The God of Small Things (Arundhati Roy), Small Remedies and Moving On by Shashi Despande (these two are my favorite books), I also enjoyed reading Anita Nair's Ladies Coupe'.

Other than Chetan Bhagat who is probably the most popular modern day writer but lacking real quality , there are many good Indian writers like Vikram Seth, Ashok K Banker, Nilanjan Choudhury , who have all made excellent literary contributions !

I enjoyed reading Rohinton Mistry's Family Matters, however, A Fine Balance couldn't hold my interest for long.
Chetan Bhagat writes keeping in those Indians in mind who enjoy Bollywood masala movie.

Yes..usually when a book is made into a movie..it is somehow not well-adapted or portrayed properly, but 5-point someone was beautifully made into a movie.

True...his books are usually written quite superficially not unlike Hindi movies, but the message he tried to convey in Five Point Someone (3 idiots movie) is very relevant and good.

In fact, I felt the movie was more stronger and effective than the book itself!!!

I too liked 3 idiots a lot since it was well made and more than anything else had Aaamir khan playing a brillaint role...Chetan Bhagat is a very intelligent man , one can see that in his Times of India columns where he humorously writes on the political scenario of our country and he is using it in his books and the kind of topic he selcts so that they all go down very well with the masses !

Chetan Bhagat is definitely brilliant because he made people pick up a fiction and read. Where today not many people are seen reading;he made sure that by using simple and lucid language and through an entertaining story line he made reading popular. Though, reading his stuff may not satisfy our intellect but it does entertain us.

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

Chetan Bhagat is definitely brilliant because he made people pick up a fiction and read. Where today not many people are seen reading;he made sure that by using simple and lucid language and through an entertaining story line he made reading popular. Though, reading his stuff may not satisfy our intellect but it does entertain us.

Yes it is entertainment for the masses ...

Another author I would like to mention here is Wilbur Smith - His novels are mostly based in Southern Africa,Central Africa , Rhodesia ...I have read his When the Lion feeds which was truly a magnificent novel and now about to finish Monsoon which is a brilliant mega novel and a must read if you love detailed novels dealing with many facets of life !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Another author I would like to mention here is Wilbur Smith - His novels are mostly based in Southern Africa,Central Africa , Rhodesia ...I have read his When the Lion feeds which was truly a magnificent novel and now about to finish Monsoon which is a brilliant mega novel and a must read if you love detailed novels dealing with many facets of life !

Sure, will see if I can get it (Monsoon) online or in a library.

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning” – Billy Anderson

A Sparrow falls by Wilbur Smith is the only book I read. For more I check up in the library. Right now I'm busy with Robin Cook's Out Break.

Sure, will see if I can get it (Monsoon) online or in a library.

You will definitely find it online since many people I know have downladed it into their kindle ..

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.